View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 02:59 AM
+fireamx
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Andrew, I went back and found the web site that you posted for the POR 15, it comes in black, gray, silver, and clear.
That definitely looks like a permanent fix for a "problem area" all Crossfires have, no matter where you live.
I can see how this thread could be a real turn off for anybody contemplating the purchase of a Crossfire in the future, but really it's no big deal. Most every car built has some sort of "problem area" whether it be mechanical, or cosmetic. We lucked out, seeing how it is so accessible, and such a relatively easy fix.
If it's any consolation, I once saw a 3 or 4 year old Ferrari Daytona coupe in Ocean City Maryland that had rust holes in the lower door panel large enough to put my fist through. I also witnessed a brand new Pantera that sat unsold on a Mercury dealers lot for over two years that was covered with surface rust.
I still think this has got to be one of the most important threads ever posted on this web site, because this is not a problem that's going to go away by itself. It needs to be addressed by every owner, whether you purchased your car or leased it. Because you can be sure the dealers will pick up on it eventually (if they don't already know about it) and some will charge you for the repair when you turn your car back in off lease. Being surface rust, I'm pretty sure this is our responsibility, and not covered under warranty.
If you put it off, it will only get alot worse, and eventually turn into a major body repair.
In the end, it's a small price to pay for such a great car. True, it's not something we should "need" to do. But we all do other things to keep our cars looking good, so just think of this as just one more "car care" procedure.