View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 10:17 PM
ssl92677
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

I just bought an '04 xFire with only one key. I called two dealers and was told by both a new key used to be $60 USD, but now that Daimler sold Chrysler, apparently the NEW price is $130 USD. Wish I could get a flat 'valet' wallet key - it seems strange because Mercedes had them when I had my E-420 . . .

The xFire owner's manual describes the re-program remote procedure - you have to do it when you change the key fob batteries so don't let the dealer take your $ for something you can do yourself !

UPDATE: 12-Nov-2007
-----------------------------

I'm working with a locksmith in Texas to determine if flat wallet keys can be cut (good for unlocking the doors in an emergency) and if we can find the switchblade key blanks (seen 'em on eBay before myself) so you can repair a good remote that has a broken key. I suspect you would then be able to get a used remote, put on a freshly cut key blade, take the batteries out of the used remote (so it loses it's programming code), put the batteries back in the remote and re-program the old used remote to your car's RFID.

Also, I spoke with Chrylser (corporate) tech support about the dealer's charging to 'program' remotes and they brought up the following point: if your ECU loses the internal RF code (car battery goes dead or heaven forbid your xFire was stolen and stripped), THEN you would need to have the ECU reprogrammed by the dealer and your old remotes would continue to work as before. Not trying to defend the 'stealers' here, but that made a helluva a lot of sense to me and probably something to keep in mind and pass along . . . .

Last edited by ssl92677; 11-12-2007 at 03:51 PM.