Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
GDC-SRT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Wheel Dye--- my wheel is turning colors

Found this on a recent post, Hope it helps.

ppro
Forum Regular

User Gallery
Re: Anybody Want A Steering Wheel - 03-31-2009 , 06:36 PM

I never would have believe this before it actually happened to me.

There are products you can buy to "dye" seats and steering wheels and other interior parts.

It's called "paint for vinyl" or "paint for leather" and comes in a variety of colors.

You'd think it was a snake oil product but much to my surprise they actually work well, stay on, and withstand abuse.

A couple years ago, some service person raked my wife's pristine leather steering wheel and gouged it. The reaction was first "we didn't do that", but when I asked the tech to get in the car, the offending feature of his clothing actually repeated the damage. Then they told us the car was "old" and we were being picky. When I pointed out that the steering wheel was not damaged and should be fixed they then "dyed" it. I was very pissed. But the only lasting issue after the "repair" was that the finish was not the correct gloss. Amazingly the "dye" never wore off, the gloss never dulled, and that was after another 150K miles!

I have also used vinyl paint on seats (never wore off) and door panels (never wore off or faded) and even on exterior parts (windshield wipers, trim parts) and it was very durable.

Consider buying the right shade of gray, follow the instructions to the letter, and you might find like I did, that the results are very satisfactory. You may want to make sure you do not get glossy finish - the satin is probably the right level of gloss. And keep your grimmy grips off until it's dried for 24 hours!

ppro
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/index.htm