Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 AM
ppro
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Wheel Dye --- my wheel is turning colors

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
It is the original wheel. I had the car 4 years and put 52K miles on it. I park my car in the sun and it gets very hot here in the summer (100+ temps). I recently put some Meguaire's leather conditioner on the steering wheel but I don't think that caused the problem. I just ordered some "leather paint" online in the color that is supposed to be for the dark grey Crossfire interior. I will try that and see what happens. It is just one small spot but I want to take care of it because small spots usually get bigger
I'm curious where you ordered the paint. Griot? Eastwood?

You may find that you will get the best results painting the whole wheel.

The products you used to treat the wheel will work against you when you paint - the oils will prevent the paint from adhering. Make sure you use the recommended prep chemicals before painting.

Sometimes people actually like the patina that develops on the leather as it wears. But I am partial to the unweathered look myself.

One alternative to paint is a leather polish that matches and minimizes the problem spot. I would do some checking first but perhaps the liquid applicator style products like the stuff nurses used to use on their shoes (that white liquid) might work? You'd have to use that for the dye and then apply something over it to restore the proper sheen. That would be one possible way to just treat a spot.

To prevent the advancement of damage one of those window shades might be in order.