Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Franc Rauscher
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Re: Buyin a car with hail damage, worth the discount?

The rental history would seem the least of your concerns here. But, valid.

Hail damage, enough to break tailight lenses suggests fairly large hail. Seeing no pictures it is hard to tell how bad the sheet metal looks. I once had every vehicle I owned (5) get hammered by hail. Took the check from Allstate and lived on it for a year. Some of the cars got better on their own. Others held on to their scars 'til I sold 'em.

Many small dents will actually heal themselves overtime, but lots of time, years. Depending on where they are. Door posts and windshield surrounds, curved surfaces don't respond well to solar energy repairs. Flat areas get better but never perfect.
Larger ones require profesional removal and can get costly, even on a small body. And the hood strakes will double the price for Dent Wizard work.

Given my presumed degree of the damage, I would have to wonder why the care wasn't a total, salvage title. While the title may be intact, this car is salvage value. $6,500 to $7,500. Assuming the soft top is OK

These aren't MB Gull Wings. Your car's value will not go up, at least in your lifetime so this isn't and investment car. If you can buy it right, and not worry about the dings, maybe it is worth it. Just remember, it is easier to make payments on a car you love than one you settled for.

roadster with a stick