Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
shapeshifter309
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much free play on your steering wheel?

Originally Posted by jackei
hi, I wonder how many of us have free play on the steering wheel. If you do, how much free play do you have? And have you get it fixed.

Mine has about 20k miles, and I can move my steering wheel freely about an inch on so along the rim of the steering wheel, without moving the wheels, no matter if the engine is on or off.

I was browsing the technical section of the forum, looks like this is common on the crossfires. Some members said it only required to tighten up a bolt, but some required to change the expensive steering box. Some said this is normal, but I quoted "there should be no play at all on the recirculating ball steering" off the internet. I changed the steering stabilizer as suggested in the forum, but it does not solve the problem.
I have a small amount while stopped. Nothing I haven't seen out of any other car though. Drove my grandfather's newish-Mercedes yesterday, and I wasn't really paying attention, but nothing seemed different to me besides that the car was supercharged and it was more sluggish than my N/A crossfire.

I think a small amount of play is normal, but others find this annoying, and I'm sure there's a way to tighten it up, as you can see some have very responsive steering.