Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Reliableron
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

opeth13 - I did not cut off the end. I also had the key in the ignition when I started and it had taken an hour of trying to get it turned so I wasnt about to take it out until I had to. I left the key in for a few days as we had a bit of a heat wave which seemed to worsen the problem and I had to wait to get the new steering lock assy from MB (I didn't use it in the end). You dont want to leave it on the street with the key in!
On the right side of the steering column there is a little cut out with a panel in it - this is the area your pin is in - this panel slides towards you inside the outer steering column and is spring loaded. I didn't figure it out until I had the lower dash removed - much easier to see the locking pin. You may be able to hook it and pull back to see the pin easier without the lower dash removed. I removed the lower dash and pushed the pin in and twisted the ignition down and to the right to get the pin in the sleeve so it couldnt pop out. I then took the key out and RFID ring off and was able to put the key back in and turn it to pull the tumblers. I pulled the steering lock assy and removed the access plate (see BoeroBoy's picture) then took out the pin and spring inside (it isnt the steering lock pin you can see from the outside) and put the plate back on. It has been over two weeks - no cutting, no problems. I still have the new assy I bought but the old one seems fine with out the pin and spring. Steering still locks but ignition turns with absolutely no hesitation. I was lucky and did not have to drill the locking pin out and no cutting on my steering lock assy.Hope this helps a bit. Ron