Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Reliableron
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by opeth13
Thanks for the reply. So I'm getting the pins mixed up. From what I understood, there's the steering locking pin that some people have issues with and they have to end up filing it down and removing steering lockability permanently. This is located on the outside on the actual steering column.

See BoeroBoy's picture (7/23) of the steering lock assy - this assy includes the ignition itself. It is shown with the ignition hole down and the arm that goes into the steering column sleeve to the right. The steering lock pin is on the other side of this arm. The nub on the far right of the arm is the lock that pops into the steering column to lock it. Some people have cut off this end of this arm to defeat the steering lock - it is not part of the steering column itself.

Then there's your scenario where you had to remove the spring and pin from inside the ignition assembly that comes off of the car.

See the same picture - this is the access panel I removed the spring and pin from - different pin. I did not cut off the end - mine still locks the steering but the ignition no longer sticks.

I can actually lock my steering wheel and then unlock it with the key by turning it in the 0 position, but that's all I can do, just lock and unlock the steering wheel. The key won't turn any further.

Position 0 is off - if you cannot turn to position 1 you will probably have to drill out the pin - you will be able to see if the pin goes in or not once you have the panels out of the way.

I actually got it to turn one last time yesterday and I haven't taken the key out since until I repair it this weekend. I'm going to try your method first (removing the internal pin and spring). I am going to have the new MB part with me just in case I have to swith out the old parts or I screw something up. Thanks again.
I found it easier with the new assy to guide me.