View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 AM
naughteven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alarm system problem!

I had a similar problem with starting the car and my top. Key fob wouldn't work, opened the door with my key, but security system did not go off, and the car wouldn't start. Turned out the battery was dead, so I jumped the battery, started the car and took it to the dealer. The dealer checked the car and found no problems.

This happened two more times, and the third time I found that the top also would not operate. I took it to my dealer the third time, he told me that he had dropped his Chrysler deaklership, and would no longer warranty the car. The next closest dealer did not have the equipment (computer module to run diagnostics on the Mercedes engine) to service the car. The next dealer (Burger Chrysler in Terre Haute, IN) had the equipment, ran the diagnostic and found that the convertible ram had bound up. When the ram had bound up, it also took out the computer module for the top and was draining the battery through the motor on the ram. Final cost $800 - $1,000 for a new ram, new battery and new module for the top (not the security system). Fortunately, everything was covered under warranty.

I later found out that the dealer I had bought the car from (new), also had not bought the chip to run diagnostics on the car. That's why he was never able to find out what the problem was originally.

lesson - make sure your dealer has run the diagnostic and knows for certain what the problem is. Not all Chrysler dealers, even the ones that sold them, can service them.

naughteven