Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Rix-xf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: For those of us who are slow: windshield surround removal

This is not difficult. I just had mine off for painting. No tools needed.

Start with the center piece first near the junction where it meets a side piece. Begin by pulling up, away from the glass. I suppose you could use something to pry with if you cant get it up far enough to get a good grip on it - I'd suggest prying near the glass because a pry tool is less likley to damage the glass than the paint. I didn't need to pry with a tool but you can if you want.

There are 5 clips under the center section, also 5 matching clips attached to the car. Clips are attached with double-sided mounting tape. When I pulled mine off most of the clips released from each other as they should but a couple of the clips clung to each other and the mounting tape is what released. Don't worry about breaking clips (they're steel) the worst that can happen is the mounting tape will come off. If that happens, clean good and use new mounting tape to put the clip back where it belongs. I don't want anyone adding to the thread about losing surround pieces while going down the road. Once the center section is off you will have the confidence to yank off the side pieces in the same manner.

Hope this helps,
Rick

The following users liked this post:
redsnake (10-05-2023)