View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 AM
kusheen
Default Re: Sidewall Bubbles - Michelin Refund?

Originally Posted by theotherbrit
How many XF owners have suffered sidewall bubbles or other faliures with the OEM Michelin Pilots? I'm thinking of contacting a lawyer to try to get my money back. I've had two go bad. No potholes, just normal use.
I had a sidewall bubble on a front tire within 3 months of owning my Crossfire, <2500 miles at that time.

There is a thread on this board from two years ago, if it's still there, that discussed this topic pretty thoroughly.

I contacted my dealer, he told me I had to go to a Michelin dealer. This was my only disappointment in my dealer out of many very good experiences (have been told that good experiences are rare at DC dealers). Disappointment because folks in that old thread stressed that Chrysler dealers qualify as Michelin dealers.

Anyway, took it to a Michelin dealer from whom, over the last few years, I'd bought maybe 10 sets of tires for various family vehicles. He took one look w/tire on car, said 'road hazzard, no warranty' and stood firm despite my protests that I'd never hit anything.

Went to another dealer recommended by the car dealer, also said road hazard, saying I must've hit something. I told him I was the only one to drive the car since I bought it new, and I know that I never hit anything. He said 'Sorry, road hazard.' I continued to protest. He stood firm.

Went to a 3rd dealer. He also said road hazard, and that he'd prove it to me by taking the tire off the rim, and would show me inside the inevitable bruise or sidewall separation indicating hitting something. He did that. There was nothing there. He scratched his head, admitted that the tire was flawed, submitted the paperwork, I got a brand new tire under warranty.

You may have road hazard, in that case you're SOL. If you can get your dealer to take a look inside, you MAY have a tire with a genuine blemish and have a case.

Good luck.