View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
blackbelt_010892
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad split and fell off of caliper

A few days ago my brake wear indicator light came on so I took it into the dealership to get them inspected. Turns out that the outside pad on my front passenger wheel had split in half. I had not noticed any difference in brake pedal feel or noise. I was told that it would be ok to lightly drive the car until my upcoming oil change date(2 weeks). Well yesterday as I was heading back from class I noticed slight grinding noise. I had completely forgotten about the brake pad issue and just figured that a piece of ice or snow was caught up in the wheel-well. (We just got hit by a foot of snow and freezing temps) After getting out at my apt, I go to the wheel-well to examine the problem and to my horror I can see deep abrasions all the way around the leading edge of my rotor on that front passenger side.

I went directly to a brake shop a few block down the street, using only the clutch and e-brake to slow the car. They pulled the wheels off for me, and sure enough the entire brake pad and fallen off. Luckily no amount of noticeable visible damage was done to the caliper.
I have now have a set of Rotex Gold Brake pads (been wanting to do the upgrade anyhow) and after market Brembo slotted rotors on order for an overnight shipment.

I was curious to know if anyone has these Brembo rotors on their Xfire, and if so how they feel about the performance. At only $200 for the front set they sure as hell are cheaper than OEM replacements.
Brembo Sport Cross Slotted Brake Rotors - Front (Pair): buybrakes.com