View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM
blackbelt_010892
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake pad split and fell off of caliper

Well I have had the new rotors on for a few weeks now, and so far no regrets. I have had no brake squeal with the EBC/Rotex pairing, and must say I do like the slotted appearance. Apparently the black appearance of the rotors when initially shipped is just a protective coating because it was nearly completing worn off by the time the shop was finished with there little drive around the block to inspect their installation. This is not a bad thing, because the bare steel shimmers just like any other after market rotor would.

I noticed that other forum members are hesitant to get slotted/drilled rotors because of the whoosing noise you get when under heavy braking. The sound of any air passing over the slots is nearly inaudible when driving normally, but I did have a chance to to take the car back on some twisties and I must say the Whoosing sound is quite exhilarating when carving through a heavily wooded region with the windows down.

As far as actually stopping performance goes I do not have much to go by. I never ran the car hard enough to notice any brake fade with the OEM setup, and never lined up any cones to measure 60-0 braking distances before and after the installation.

One Advantage of the new setup however is improved braking feel, primarily through the pedal. The pedal feels much more fluid and uniform throughout its entire travel. You can feel the pad barely pass over each slot in the rotor, (it is slightest vibration through the pedal). I really like this added feed back mainly because it helps the crossfire stray a little further away from its numbish feeling.

Last edited by blackbelt_010892; 03-04-2011 at 10:07 AM.