Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
+fireamx
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Caught in the Crossfire: Chrysler mulls future of slow-selling sports coupe

I think WOODLANDS & NAPASANAOMA made some very good points. Personally I think the XF is stuck between a rock & a hard place simply because it never really found its true market niche. Let's face facts. Traditional Mercedes buyers aren't going to be the least bit interested in an American designed Benz, especially with "yesterdays news" mechanicals. Mopar fans,& (employees) by in large really don't know what to make of the thing. And Hard Core sports car enthusiasts usually demand a little more "track proven history" behind their new purchases. As stated before, it simply hasn't been marketed very well.
In today's "Retro Crazed" market place, I don't see why it couldn't be promoted as a (Sports/Muscle Car). Even though there are probably a dozen or so other American cars faster in the 1/4 mile than a non-supercharged XF, it still runs 14.7, and that's nothing to sneeze at, and at 13.3 sec. for a supercharged version, it's solidly into the current muscle car arena. Plus the car goes thru a slalom as fast as a Ford GT or a Vette, (even some Porsches). So essentially it has all the bases covered.
We all know what a bargain the car is, unfortunately, the buying public doesn't. Usually all it takes is one test drive to win someone over. Maybe that's what D/C needs to do, (Pay people to come in for a test drive).

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-28-2005 at 01:07 AM.