View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM
sk8erjosh09
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
I must say....... I love it!

I wrapped all the exterior silver and chrome bits on my car in flat black vinyl after mounting a set of flat black TSW Donington wheels to my Aero Blue roadster. Tell us more about this Plasti-Dip stuff. Did you have to take all the parts off the car to use it? What is involved in the prep work?
I would love to explain it. It is the easiest thing I have ever done. Plasti-Dip is spray on rubber, it is about $9/can, and comes in many colors. It took two of these cans to do everything...

Amazon.com: Performix PLASTI DIP Intl. Mulit-Purpose Rubber Coating Spray BLACK 11oz: Automotive

I used "Tuff Stuff" to clean the surfaces of both emblems/strakes/door handles and the grill.

Then I took masking tape and made a square/rectangle about 1 inch all the way around the object (except the rims obviously). You then spray to fill the inside of the square you made about 3-4 light coats until it is all even (dont worry about overspray, this is why this stuff was made). It will come out textured at first and look horrible but dont worry.

I gave it a casual smoke break between coats. Another casual smoke break and it is dry.

At this point you peel off the tape and like a sticker the Plasti-Dip will start peeling. Take and peel off slowly from the outside square. The Plasti-Dip will peel off the excess but not the object, go slow just in case.

After all of that you take a towel (I use micro-fiber) and wipe off the over-spray. The time it would take to mask off everything is more time than it took to wipe off the overspray.

The rims I took off, but again dont mask off the tire it will just peel off. I sprayed 3-4 light coats until it looked even. Once dry I took a toothpick to lift the edge enough to grab it and then peeled all of the excess off the tire.

All done.....Very very easy. If you dont like it take a toothpick lift a piece up enough to grap it and peel it off and start over.

I have seen videos on youtube of people pressure washing the emblems after putting these on at about 6 inches away and it was fine. Like I said so far the Plasti-Dip on mine has seen sand blasting from 30ish mph winds in the desert and rain.