Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM
GraphiteGhost
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Car Alarm Keeps going off!!! Dead Battery!?!

Originally Posted by Reliableron
So for the X-fire...simplified steps are?

Check/replace Fob battery > Check/replace car battery > Check/Replace Alarm module

and if you take fuse 9 out, for the alarm...can u still drive? Im assuming you won't be able to start it?
Sounds like the right sequence to me. I replaced the car battery last year and had just changed the fob batteries a month ago because they were getting weak.
A couple weeks ago the alarm was going off randomly. I just quit locking the doors and had no problems with the alarm for 10 days. I also tried taking out fuse #9 but the lights all flashed which I figured would kill the car battery. So you may have a choice I guess -either disconnect the battery or don't lock the doors.
I bought the alarm siren from Mercedes MB part #A 171 820 25 26 - $148.60 Canadian. Chrysler quoted 282.00 Canadian for #5124443AB (5124443AA was much cheaper but no longer available)
You need to remove the wiper arms and take the cowl piece off to get to the bracket. It has a 13mm nut that comes off from the engine side -the other nut is part of the bracket. You need a T30 security torx (has a hole in the centre)to get the siren off the bracket. The new siren has a male threaded shaft instead of a female thread so you will need a new nut to mount it. I finally found one on an old bicycle seat bracket - worked just fine! Made sure I cleaned all the cowl drain holes before I put it all back together. So now it looks like I have solved the random alarm problem and have the quiet beep when locking or unlocking which is a bonus. Probably only took me 20 minutes including finding the nut.
Needed: puller for the wiper arms, T25 torx for the cowl screws (7) T30 security torx bit and a 13mm socket and a metric threaded nut (same size as the windshield wiper nut).

Hope this helps, Ron[/quote]

You also have to watch out for the couple of things attached to the bottom of the cowling. I cannot quite remember what they were but a wiring harness and maybe wiper fluid hoses were clipped /attached to the underside of that cowl. I also can't remember if I disconnected the neg batt cable or not. Someone posted before that if you don't the alarm module will go crazy when you pull the plug off of it. Realigning the wires.hoses was a little of a balancing act but yes when you replace that module with the new one, you'll like the soft beeps confirming lock/unlock.