View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Hawk Monster
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: crossfire joins my Sunbeam and MG

Hi Gary

I understand those DART IIs are really nice cars. I got to see one a couple of weekends ago when a friend drove his by for me to take a look at.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said the Crossfire was dated. Like you I collect and restore what I think are beautiful roadsters/coupes (Triumph TR3 & TR6, MGA, BMW (Z3), Crossfires and Mercedes) and drive them infrequently BUT I totally agree with the statement that the Crossfire is a old design but a really beautiful one. When I noticed these cars years ago I bought a coupe and a roadster to have in the collection because of the lines and style. Back then they were a steal for the price with very few miles on them. However they were a old design then. IMHO there are not to many newer cars that can match it for lines.

As I get older the pleasure of driving one of those older cars on a trip on a weekend is just to hard because of the seats, lack of A/C, outdated radio, steering, suspension, lack of power, lack of luggage room, etc. BUT nothing beats taking one to the local store. Funny how many people tell you stories about when they or someone they knew had one especially the older affordable stuff like the Triumphs, MGs and Z3s.

Good luck with the new car and your continued classic motoring. Glad you are keeping the Crossfire in the collection. Someday the Crossfire will be a true classic and may even command respect or it couldl remain the "red hesded" step child of a messy divorce.

Joe

PS Saving my change for a new Porsche Boxster or a throwback to my college days -- a Alpha coming this Fall to the US . Sold the MGA to make room for it.