View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Franc Rauscher
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: The Chevy Vega - 74GT

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
This project is finally off the ground. This project car is my second car that I had ever owned. I bought it in 1979 for 500 bucks after I had totaled out my first car, a 69 Buick Electra 225 2-door loaded..yes...loaded. This Vega was my daily driver for many years. We rebuilt the original 140 4 banger 2bl. auto with fresh steel sleves ( this block already had them) fresh cam bearings, decked the block and head, added the Offenhauser aluminum dual-port intake and a Heddman header to it as well as High energy ignition off of a newer 76 model and changed the valve cover where the PVC was located "on higher ground" so it wouldn't suck oil when the high pressure oil pump filled the head up too high. Got rid of the automatic and went with the Saginaw 4 speed, which is set to be either rebuilt or replaced with the T-5 Borg-Warner 5 speed. The rear end is out of a 77 Vega with the support running longitudinally with the drive shaft to reduce wheel hopping. Something the 74 never had. Added a tilt steering column from a Monza. This motor runs and purrs like a kitten and tachs up nicely. So, we're putting all of the running gear and the tranny and the motor into a Cosworth 75 rolling chassis that has very minimal rust because they were double dipped as the regular Vegas were not. The beefed up 74 will outrun the Cosworth anyway...there were many automotive firsts with the Vega. I obtained an almost perfect hood for my project today. The donor car was parked rebuilt and freshly broken in over 20 years ago, but has been regularly cranked. I will post pictures or add them to an album soon. Peace

AH byou ring back the memories. I had a 75 Oldsmobile Starfire (basically the same car but with different stickers on the dash) with the odd fire V/6 and a Muncie four speed. I really loved that car. I had it for 20 years. 200K on the clock when the body just melted away. Although they were prone to rust and easily bent,, GM had a winner with that platform.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 05-13-2016 at 12:39 PM.