View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
GraphiteGhost
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You should have complained some.

Too funny dave! I did complain, and they did NOTHING. Anyway, I got my letter today, stopped by the dealership, what a screwed up system! The service guy looked at the letter, asked me if I had the part (DUMB). Then he said something to the effect this is new (again DUMB). I told him this fiasco has been going on for 1 1/2 years. Told him the notice to ME was 10 months ago, and told him the letter he read says to come down and schedule the work (one of the three options). So he excuses himself, goes to the parts dept, and comes out to tell me there are no 'bags' there for me (DUH). Talking further (without throwing something) I say he has to order the part if one is not there with my name on it. He goes back to parts dept, and comes back again telling me they ordered it from Atlanta GA, and it'll be in tomorrow or Wednesday latest. Their XF tech (technically NOT an XF tech) says it should take under an hour (has worked on them before) and that it is super simple. After I got their attention and the 'bag' ordered, I asked the guy who took those two trips to the parts dept, if the 'bag' assembly was the correct trim color. He tells me the trim all around the 'bag' would be pulled and placed on the replacement bare 'bag'. Now I'm not the smartest marble in the bag by a longshot, BUT my research showed the airbag part number is ordered by the interior trim codes for the year of the vehicle. Interesting to see if they (takata/MB/FCA) have developed a procedure to remove the 'bag' and it being a totally different part number than say, if WE went to buy one over the counter. Anyway, I will TRY to watch the tech when they work on my XF, to see if the 'bag' is just a bag, or if it IS the corrct part matched according to the trim (with trim included). IF the part is just the 'bag' module and not the complete assembly, I'll ask for that 'instruction' sheet (since they only require the airbag returned, as a rule, for recalls). We are getting closer! I am at a loss WHY they are sending letters out to ALL the zones? Maybe there are such a low number, that they produced (Takata or sub contractors) the entire batch of 07/08 bags for ALL zones (one time purchase).

About the years covered in the recall. The NHTSA website codes the 07/08 MODEL years by the VIN milestone. Those cars are the correct ones to be fixed. All the other 'references' and stories abound are not to be utilized UNLESS NHTSA codes them by the VIN. Much of the MANY .pdf's in the case files posted on the NHTSA website does reference the 06/07 BUT I believe there is a miscommunication of the YEAR BUILT vs the MODEL YEAR of the recalled cars. The 07's (by far) were built in 06, the 08's were built in 07. This is purely a guess on my part because no one wants to tell us owners anything (you MUST check YOUR VIN on the NHTSA website). All you recalled XF owners, GOOD LUCK (we'll need it).