View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 09:17 AM
GraphiteGhost
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Went back & added the attached files. Curious to know if Chrysler Service Techs perform the Verification Test when they complete the airbag recall. Only way to guarantee that the SRS (Supplemental Restriant System) will function properly. They have to make sure there are no trouble codes present.

I wonder why they want the iggy 'ON' before hooking the battery back up? Hooking a battery up to a 'LOAD' (IMHO) is both risky and unsafe. Risky because there is a possibility of a surge due to the car electronics being 'turned on' sequentially (by the ignition switch), and unsafe due to the sparks creating a surge (present when placing the clamp on said battery) with the car wanting a full load (unlike just the parasitic draw expected). I wonder WHAT they did to Padgett's car? Maybe they did this 'iggy on then battery' thing? I wonder IF they are feeding you the 'later' Jeep SRS code ( ANFSCD OBD-II Code CT1322A - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum ), or does FCA use these 'hidden' codes in the MB ORC moduls as well?

Knowing what is in my 08 Vol 2 section 8 page 8-520/521 (SRS Verification Test), I would ask them to verify NO CODES are present BEFORE they touch mine. This way, if it isn't working afterwards, then FCA is CLEARLY 100% at fault. I also wonder if they could have PINCHED a wire during reassembly, causing this code? Did they try to 'reset' that present code? With all the members here who have replaced their wheel/bag, it cannot be that hard to do it WITHOUT hooking up the verification test, could it? The manual SHOULD have that test done BEFORE they touch anything (but that would cement liability wouldn't it?). THE SELF CHECK OF THE AIRBAG LIGHT IN CLUSTER SHOULD BE 100% AS TO THE INTEGRETY OF THE SYSTEM BEFORE SERVICE (lamp on after start/run, then off after @ 6 seconds WITHOUT lamp lit afterwards).

You have quite a risk buying a ORC (Occupant Restraint Controller) module off the internet, the service manual cautions not to drop or jar it because its accelerometer integral to that module may be damaged. You can read more in Vol 2 of the 08 service manual pages 80-522/523 OR whatever manual you have which may have a different page close to this one referenced. Since reading this post, I have read a lot of this entire section, and believe THEY (the guys replacing that airbag) did something out of sequence (maybe like that reconnection of the battery with the iggy on). IF they checked in that car with the airbag light off (or any reference to on or off), they most surely did something to pop that code up. The replacement mentioned/sequenced in that section of the service manual (same volume pages 80-533/535.

This makes me MAD as hell, they are trying to bend you over and not use lube. Oh aren't they so nice to 'reduce' the price they want to charge you? Get a printout of the error code (without letting them touch your car again) and take your car to another service department to 'reset' the entire SRS system. Sounds like your going to need a hand legally, good luck!