View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Speedy4x4
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipor3D
I checked the fluids and it did need power steering fluid. I added what it needed yesterday afternoon and the noise when turning the steering wheel is completely gone. However, the noise coming from the belt/water pump area is still there. I checked the pulleys and none of them seem to have any play, although I have not removed the belt yet. I also noticed a crack that runs along the edge of one pulley and took a picture of it. Do you think this will need replacing?
That I bet is from using a pry bar against the pulley trying to loosen the tensioner.
It can be done carefully without damaging the pulley, but if bar slips trying to get just a little bit more the bar will slip to the side and break a piece off of tensioner pulley, just like that.
Wouldn't hurt to replace it, but I would concentrate on the grinding noise from water pump 1st.
You can run it fine like that, but it might shorten the life of the belt, but you could run a year or two on it if you wanted and kept a eye on belt it every once in awhile, if you need to save up more $$$, but when you ha e belt off is a good time to change.
Glad the power steering pump is good, now time to look for the leak in the power steering system, could just be a fitting on back of the pump.