View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance schedule

Originally Posted by ssscott75074
Hi. I've had my car for a year now, and am approaching 10,000 miles, and am getting a wrench icon with the number of miles left to 10,000. The dealership has sent me the same letter mentioned in this thread, threatening me that I'll void my warranty if I don't bring the car in every 3 months. Thus far I've made appointments to change the oil at every 3,000 miles which has stretched now to over a month from when they tell me the deadline is.

First question, is there service I need done at 10k that's not been done at 9k? Second question, if not can I reset the maintenance message myself?

I do plan to eventually let the car tell me when it needs service, but at the moment I have oil change coupons that have an expiration date on them.
no service specifically required at 10k. the fss system will alert you when it is time for service with either 1 or 2 wrench icons. you won't void your manufacturer's warranty if you don't go in for service every three months. what service did you have at 9k? an oil change? read the service schedule in your owner's manual to get familiar with what is supposed to be done at each interval. chances are the technician may not have reset the fss counter when you made your last visit.

below are the steps (summarized from the maintenance manual) that you can use to reset the counter yourself.

1. turn the key to the on/run position.
2. within 1 second press the **** to the left of the display twice.
3. present status for days remaining or distance traveled is displayed. within 10 seconds turn key to off.
4. press and hold **** on left side of display while turning key to on/run again. present status is displayed once more. continue to hold button. after approx. 10 seconds a tone sounds and the display shows 6,000 miles for approx. 10 seconds.
5. release the ****.