View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM
HDDP
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Well it doesn't sound like a bad idea...
I personally don't mind all the electronics during a swap, and enjoy learning about the aftermarket ECU's, but I've yet to price the SRT6 engine, and I'm sure even with a 20% discount at the dealer it will cost me $5,000 in the crate. throw in the stand alone ECU and misc parts, and the total is about $7,000.
How much is a Kleenman conversion anyways?

Who knows if the stock 6 speed can handle an extra 110 hp? If you throw in that 289, I wonder if the rear end can hold together under the extra torque? You might be better off searching for another car, could get a used late model Mustang GT with all the factory beefy parts installed and ready to go, then gut the sucker. If that's not enough they are easy to Supercharge with their huge aftermarket following.
I researched this in depth over a year ago when I was in discussions with DC to sponsor my car.

Retail price on a new AMG 3.2 crate motor is $12k. All of the other associated hardware, and plumbing for the SC upgrade brings the total to a little over 17k. Then you have to swap the ECU, just to run the engine and because there are auto trans vs manual trans computers that are associated, you get into an entire new set of bugaboos.

We determined that it was cheaper and easier to build a custom manual transmission for the SRT6 than it was to swap an AMG motor into the N/A Crossfire.

Now, not to say you can't slap a SRT6 SC and associated hardware onto your motor and have it run. But, you're still going to have to deal with the ECU FAM before it will even fire-up.

MOTEC makes an engine management system for MB.