All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

air bag inop light

Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag inop light

still learning about my newly purchased '05 roadster...air bag warning light came on...is this an easily addressed-common system fart, or some awful dealer-only, necessary repair? any comments, suggestions, help?? thanks

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: air bag inop light

Umm.. or you adjusted that red lever at the base of the steering column and didn't get it locked back in.. telescopic steering.. happened to me.. LOL

Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the passenger air bag it's possible it was turned off. The lock is on the right side of the dash when you open the door. Use the key to turn it back on.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mrmiata...and anyone who no longer needs to answer...a little WD40 and the Fonzi bump did the trick on the steering wheel extender lock..

Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

So was it the airbag light or the steering wheel light? I "fixed" my airbag light with a sharpie...

Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by coolx
So was it the airbag light or the steering wheel light? I "fixed" my airbag light with a sharpie...
I fixed my airbag light by buying another airbag sensor module. Mine had went bad, the shop I use did the diagnostic for free. The module itself cost like $1200, on ebay its like $70.

If you do change it, the thing is located underneath the center of the dash on the floor.

Its in held in with 3 screws. Once I swapped mine out with the ebay one light went out. I think the just go bad and have to be replaced sometimes.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philosophico
I fixed my airbag light by buying another airbag sensor module. Mine had went bad, the shop I use did the diagnostic for free. The module itself cost like $1200, on ebay its like $70.

If you do change it, the thing is located underneath the center of the dash on the floor.

Its in held in with 3 screws. Once I swapped mine out with the ebay one light went out. I think the just go bad and have to be replaced sometimes.
Do you have a part number or contact on ebay from whom you purchased it?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by msheredy
Do you have a part number or contact on ebay from whom you purchased it?
Let me check, I can pull up what the part looks like on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-Chrysler-Crossfire-Oem-Airbag-Module-Used-No-Airbags-Blown-/261437511674?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdee3d7fa&vxp=mtr
This is what the part looks like, I'll be honest you are rolling the dice but for $60 i decide it was worth a chance because not having no airbags is pretty bad so if I could fix it for $60 vs 2k which is what the dealership wants for the thing it was worth it.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a first for me. When my body shop failed to unhook the battery cable and unhooked my passenger door airbag, it threw the code and the light came on. When the light is on, all your air bag system is shut down. You have none. Only the dealership could clear the code with the star das system. When working around the bags, steering wheel or doors, unhook your positive battery cable. I am sure there are other things that could throw the code, but I was under the impression nothing will clear the code without hooking it up to the computer.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
That is a first for me. When my body shop failed to unhook the battery cable and unhooked my passenger door airbag, it threw the code and the light came on. When the light is on, all your air bag system is shut down. You have none. Only the dealership could clear the code with the star das system. When working around the bags, steering wheel or doors, unhook your positive battery cable. I am sure there are other things that could throw the code, but I was under the impression nothing will clear the code without hooking it up to the computer.
I was under that impression to and thought once I put in the new used one, I was going to have to have my shop I use reset it, but turns out I didnt need too. As soon as I hooked up the battery and turned on the car, it went though its sequence and the light went out and has stayed out since feb when I changed it.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philosophico
Let me check, I can pull up what the part looks like on ebay.

2004 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Airbag Module Used No Airbags Blown | eBay

This is what the part looks like, I'll be honest you are rolling the dice but for $60 i decide it was worth a chance because not having no airbags is pretty bad so if I could fix it for $60 vs 2k which is what the dealership wants for the thing it was worth it.
Thanks! Yea I'm gonna get the dealer to let me know what the culprit is before purchasing. Luckily the dealer by me doesn't charge for diagnosis, but they ding ya for the actual repair

Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

I guess I'll call North Star Chrysler, see how much they charge to hook up to their star das system...or maybe I should go to a Mercedes dealer since it's their system...

Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 PM

My dealer will not just reset. They will diagnose and fix it. Diagnose $65.00 plus what ever It costs to fix it. Any other options? I like the Sharpie idea.
Originally Posted by msheredy
Thanks! Yea I'm gonna get the dealer to let me know what the culprit is before purchasing. Luckily the dealer by me doesn't charge for diagnosis, but they ding ya for the actual repair