All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Cracked plastic inside Xfire

Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Cracked plastic inside Xfire

OK so one of my friends finally got around to purchasing a Crossfire. Nice vehicle in Graphite with 47,000 miles on the clock.

Drove it today and heard a squeaking noise from behind the driver's seat. When I look at it closer I realized several plastic pieces are cracked (whatever the reason might be, beats the hell out of me). I assume the crack comes from there.
What would you guys suggest doing here?

If you look at is you see there's a small piece missing in the plastic piece around the seat belt assembly (see picture). Then, the screws holding in the trunk panel are all broken (where do I get these screw and how much are they).
Same panel extends to the seat belt plastic cover and is severely cracked on the underside as you can tell from the pictures.

I guess this isn't really a problem but just not nice to look at nor does it sound well to hear the squeak from behind the seat.
Appreciate any help with this to make this Xfire spotless! as this is the only issue I could make out, not factoring in the cloudy headlights he is getting polished at Sam's club this afternoon!

Thanks guys you help is always welcome.
Nick

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Default Re: Cracked plastic inside Xfire

Here are some pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140918_170410.jpg (137.4 KB, 103 views)
20140918_170414.jpg (132.9 KB, 100 views)
20140918_170419.jpg (95.1 KB, 100 views)
20140918_170425.jpg (121.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Valk; 10-30-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: resized pics and turned them upright
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd pass on that crossfire, that is not normal.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I can speak some on this.. I am betting that fabric on the ceiling has been replaced(not stock), more than likely due to the glue wearing out and causing the fabric to fall(very common, there are several other threads). To get properly replace the fabric on the ceiling, you need to take out the plastic that lines the trunke(which are just two big plastic pieces). This is needed to be able to drop down the ceiling so it can be taken out of the car so that it can be properly resurfaced. The only problem is that it is like a jigsaw puzzle to get back together when it comes time to put it all back together.

IF you are lucky the plastic retainer clips on the inner side of the plastic panel(the part that you can't see), are still there and not broken. If they are broken you will need to pick up some new ones(pretty cheap if I remember correctly). If they are still there though, you won't know until you take the piece back off, then all that needs to be done is to climb into the trunk(if you are small enough) and start gently pushing the plastic pieces so that they line up properly and the clips pop back into the holes they are supposed to.

Also it is quite common for the plastic that covers the top of the bulk head(right behind the seats) to start cracking due to people putting the seats back too far and causing pressure on the plastic, causing it to crack. I think there is another post about how someone made a fiberglass cover to replace his.

All and all that should help explain most of the plastic creaking.. unfortunately those aren't the only sources. I sometimes hear creaking coming from parts of my dashboard and even the doors at times.. I believe its the type of plastic that they used in certain places on the inside of the car.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by philosophico
I'd pass on that crossfire, that is not normal.
I'm just glad you solved the issue with professional insight! Thanks for the response! Fantastic

Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Xalidin
So I can speak some on this.. I am betting that fabric on the ceiling has been replaced(not stock), more than likely due to the glue wearing out and causing the fabric to fall(very common, there are several other threads). To get properly replace the fabric on the ceiling, you need to take out the plastic that lines the trunke(which are just two big plastic pieces). This is needed to be able to drop down the ceiling so it can be taken out of the car so that it can be properly resurfaced. The only problem is that it is like a jigsaw puzzle to get back together when it comes time to put it all back together.

IF you are lucky the plastic retainer clips on the inner side of the plastic panel(the part that you can't see), are still there and not broken. If they are broken you will need to pick up some new ones(pretty cheap if I remember correctly). If they are still there though, you won't know until you take the piece back off, then all that needs to be done is to climb into the trunk(if you are small enough) and start gently pushing the plastic pieces so that they line up properly and the clips pop back into the holes they are supposed to.

Also it is quite common for the plastic that covers the top of the bulk head(right behind the seats) to start cracking due to people putting the seats back too far and causing pressure on the plastic, causing it to crack. I think there is another post about how someone made a fiberglass cover to replace his.

All and all that should help explain most of the plastic creaking.. unfortunately those aren't the only sources. I sometimes hear creaking coming from parts of my dashboard and even the doors at times.. I believe its the type of plastic that they used in certain places on the inside of the car.
That is a very good guess. We don't know if it happened when he moved to his new house (stuffed the trunk full of crap that might have caused the plastic to break) or indeed the headliner (which makes perfect).
Now, the bulkhead is not broken (the long piece behind the seat) but the small piece is cracked where the seat belt attaches to and of course like you said the big piece in the trunk. I wonder if it would make sense to simply purchase the big piece (as the little piece really isn't bad at all) and reinstall it. Just don't know where to get it or what exactly to look for!

The plastic screws are broken on the inside of the panel but fixing those isn't really a problem, I'm more concerned about the crack of said panel towards the front!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I'm just glad you solved the issue with professional insight! Thanks for the response! Fantastic
Well my insight was simple. Its not an srt-6, I see regular crossfires for sell all the time. I feel you should wait for the right one, however if you have your heart set on that one go for it. Maybe even try to get them to discount it more but you never specified the price. For all we know you could be overpaying for it.

My srt-6 has 140k miles and does not have that cracking issue. As somebody else mention the bulkhead piece tends to crack in the center from somebody pushing the seat to far and I have 2 small cracks where the hooks attach in the bulkhead.

For something with 47k miles id expect it to me more pristine basically. Alot of these cars are garage queens so when they pop up for sell they are usually immaculate.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM

Reading doesn't seem to be your strong suit. It is neither my car nor am I planning on buying it and it's not the bulkhead that's cracked!
A spotless vehicle inside and out except for that cracked piece in the picture. One way or the other I was hoping for some insight, not smart answers that have nothing to do with the original question but thanks anyways...

Originally Posted by philosophico
Well my insight was simple. Its not an srt-6, I see regular crossfires for sell all the time. I feel you should wait for the right one, however if you have your heart set on that one go for it. Maybe even try to get them to discount it more but you never specified the price. For all we know you could be overpaying for it.

My srt-6 has 140k miles and does not have that cracking issue. As somebody else mention the bulkhead piece tends to crack in the center from somebody pushing the seat to far and I have 2 small cracks where the hooks attach in the bulkhead.

For something with 47k miles id expect it to me more pristine basically. Alot of these cars are garage queens so when they pop up for sell they are usually immaculate.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading doesn't seem to be your strong suit. It is neither my car nor am I planning on buying it and it's not the bulkhead that's cracked!
A spotless vehicle inside and out except for that cracked piece in the picture. One way or the other I was hoping for some insight, not smart answers that have nothing to do with the original question but thanks anyways...
Thank you very much for saying that. I have thought the same thing sooo many times. I have a similar problem and was hoping for an answer. I have seen so many people comment on things that are not related to what we are asking.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ewaynec
Thank you very much for saying that. I have thought the same thing sooo many times. I have a similar problem and was hoping for an answer. I have seen so many people comment on things that are not related to what we are asking.
There is lots of good information on this forum but some people can't help but comment with unhelpful suggestions. Seems like people see the "veterans" on this forum with their 5-digit post counts and think to themselves "hmmm how do I get there as fast as possible?", then go online and comment left and right but being constructive is a different story.

Either way, I am pretty sure there will be more people joining this thread as I'm sure my friend's car isn't the only one with an issue of a couple of cracked plastic pieces. I hope there will be a source posted where to find these parts. Otherwise I'm sure he would be able to find both parts from a salvaged Xfire as I'm sure they are not high demand parts and should be readily available on most salvaged vehicles!
Btw, feel free to post your issue here as well so people can comment on it!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I had difficulty viewing the pictures (they were upside down) but if these are interior plastic trim pieces, you might be able to find replacements from members who are parting out XFs. Check the WTB section of the forum for starters. The interior colors are pretty standard gray or gray/gray (yes, I know the exceptions), so you should be able to find these easily enough. And graphite gray is an awesome color -- he is a lucky man.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I had difficulty viewing the pictures (they were upside down) but if these are interior plastic trim pieces, you might be able to find replacements from members who are parting out XFs. Check the WTB section of the forum for starters. The interior colors are pretty standard gray or gray/gray (yes, I know the exceptions), so you should be able to find these easily enough. And graphite gray is an awesome color -- he is a lucky man.
I'm sorry for the upside down pictures. I don't know why the forum does that but the pictures are originally not upside down. No matter how I flip them they appear upside down in here. Strange!
We will go on a hunt for these pieces on salvaged Xfires. I assume they should not be too hard to find as I think demand is low as most people don't need to replace these pieces.

I would however like to know how to remove the plastic piece the seat belt runs through to the left behind the driver's seat since the seat belt runs through there.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm sorry for the upside down pictures. I don't know why the forum does that but the pictures are originally not upside down. No matter how I flip them they appear upside down in here. Strange!
I fixed your upside down pictures

Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

there should be pieces available from those parting out their cars. As far as them cracking, someone had to have done that trying to remove them or trying to re-install them. It isn't common issue. Just find the pieces and learn from the old ones when you remove them, the best way to install the replacements....

Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
there should be pieces available from those parting out their cars. As far as them cracking, someone had to have done that trying to remove them or trying to re-install them. It isn't common issue. Just find the pieces and learn from the old ones when you remove them, the best way to install the replacements....
I think everything points to the person before getting a new headliner and whoever installed it broke the pieces putting them back on or taking them off!
I haven't found anything about the proper way to install them. I know the big piece in the trunk is held in by plastic screws (I think 5 of them) but I'm not so sure about the other pieces.