All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Hargerty Insurance Rips on the Crossfire

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hargerty Insurance Rips on the Crossfire

Not happy with how my insurance company rips on my future purchase.

Misfit Cars - Automaker Mergers | Hagerty Articles

Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Hargerty Insurance Rips on the Crossfire

Actually, Hagerty's assessment is fairly accurate and inline with the overall industry view of the Crossfire. It was a sales & marketing debacle, and most of us here on the forum are driving them because of the low price (myself included).

However, the heritage of the Crossfire is part of its attraction. I've had two roadsters, and would buy another if they were still in production (just not at $40K though).

Last edited by harbor; 12-17-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by harbor
Actually, Hagerty's assessment is fairly accurate and inline with the overall industry view of the Crossfire. It was a sales & marketing debacle, and most of us here on the forum are driving them because of the low price (myself included).

However, the heritage of the Crossfire is part of its attraction. I've had two roadsters, and would buy another if they were still in production (just not at $40K though).
I agree with Harbor; one of the better things the crossfire had going for it, was the fact it wasn't a Chrysler and that couldn't be advertized. I also agree with the quality issues Mercedes was struggling with during it's build. Something this forum could testify to. But I would add, it's styling, performance and lack of knowledge on what it truly is, make it one of the best buys on the market today.

Dave

Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said..^^^

Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
I agree with Harbor; one of the better things the crossfire had going for it, was the fact it wasn't a Chrysler and that couldn't be advertized. I also agree with the quality issues Mercedes was struggling with during it's build. Something this forum could testify to. But I would add, it's styling, performance and lack of knowledge on what it truly is, make it one of the best buys on the market today.

Dave
Anyone reading this forum for the first time would think that the car was beset by endless problems forgetting that people only post when they do have a problem of some kind.

I have had two Crossfires a new 2004 on which I spent $1 apart from service - ten free oil changes plus three I did myself, two head light bulbs and two new tires to pass the safety test prior to selling it. Any other money I spent on it was just for optional "toys". I put 23,000 miles on that car in six years.

I replaced the 2004 with an SRT and have had no repairs, money spent on it was for the same service - four oil changes, and tires. Similarly I spent money on "toys" for it as well. I have put 10,000 miles on it in three years, and it now has 29,500 miles on the odometer.

The $1 spent was to purchase ten 10 cent diodes for a relay, I only needed one though.
I have however spent a small fortune (according to the wife) on a spare parts inventory, polishing supplies and OEM options for the car.

Many of the cars we see with problems are high mileage with the expected wear items and some that have been and may still be in the hands of people who abuse their cars and still expect them to run trouble free for ever.

I hate to mention my Chrysler 300 that I got in January '08 and sold this year, that was a lemon, a Chrysler will not be seen on my driveway ever again, piece of junk. My Hyundai has not had a single problem in six months, nothing to fix at all, those assemblers down there know what they are doing and the designers did a good job.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-17-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:35 PM

What he said ^^^^

Old 12-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Well regardless of what they print, the still take my money each year to insure it...

Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Dunno about miles. In a year I have had a service (by the dealer, last time I do that), replaced a door in front of the front wheel, two SilverStar headlamp bulbs, and two rear turn signal bulbs to replace white ones.

Have one dash (speedo/gas) light out but just keep others on bright. (Need to pull the knee air bag - '07 - to get to the &%&^^% bulb. Haven't.)

Strarted a year ago with 122k miles and just drove down to Boynton and back (about 380 miles RT) on Sunday to help a friend. Cruise on almost all the way. Did add a HFP/BT radio.

Other than major surgery to the rear bulkhead so I could get the seat back another 2" and run 180 miles non-stop that is it.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I had an 1988 Sterling 825, I really enjoyed that car too.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
Well regardless of what they print, the still take my money each year to insure it...

But on the bright side, they do not differentiate between the Base, Limited and SRT6, all the same cost for insurance.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Forum Regular

They insure my 67 Austin Mini Cooper pretty cheap. But way too high on the XF

Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

I agree that the articles assessment is spot on - and it puts a smile on my face every time I get in mine and think of what I paid for a Mercedes/AMG car... And with 84,000 miles on it I don't hesitate to drive it anywhere, which is a lot more than I can say for the Toyota Avalon it replaced in my garage.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did not find the article abrasive or misleading.

The Crossfire is a b a s t a r d, ( I didn't realize that is a verboten word) and does have a couple of engineering glitches, but those are known and well documented here. All of them are cheap and easy to fix. I have never heard of a "lemon" Crossfire, just owners who didn't understand their car.

Sure Mercedes doesn't want it, and Chrysler has no idea what to do with it, But I do! I'm never gong to sell BB, and we are looking into getting another Crossfire this spring.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you have to understand lovebohn before you purchase your xfire is that glowing reviews and ten best type list are not what you are going to find when Googling these cars. If you need that sort of validation then you may want to look else where. Our cars end up on flop, odd ball and what were they thinking list, which is fine with most here. I always laugh when I read someone bragging on line about how reliable their cookie cutter Toyhondai is. I feel kinda sad for people when the most passionate thing their vehicle invokes from them is how reliable it is. The Crossfire is very reliable but, it offers so much more to those who give it a chance. Now I have only been an owner for about two years which compared to some here who have been around since the beginning is a blip in time but, I love mine.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 AM

Screw Hagerty ...AAA insured mine & it didnt cost much for full coverage.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Out of curiosity can someone name a source that states Mercedes quality control slipped or was notoriously bad during the time of the Crossfire?
Obviously the engine is as a high quality as it comes and had been around for quite a while before the Crossfire so that most problems had been eliminated a long time ago. Karmann was known for their quality body work and I doubt many 10 year old cars look like brand new in respect to paint like many Xfires do. (My neighbor had his 2007 Toyota Camry repainted in 2012 because the paint on the roof was completely chipping leaving ugly patches behind - granted he parks it in the Florida sun all day everyday).

Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Out of curiosity can someone name a source that states Mercedes quality control slipped or was notoriously bad during the time of the Crossfire?
Obviously the engine is as a high quality as it comes and had been around for quite a while before the Crossfire so that most problems had been eliminated a long time ago. Karmann was known for their quality body work and I doubt many 10 year old cars look like brand new in respect to paint like many Xfires do. (My neighbor had his 2007 Toyota Camry repainted in 2012 because the paint on the roof was completely chipping leaving ugly patches behind - granted he parks it in the Florida sun all day everyday).
Personally I find the quality quite high, the body is built like a tank and the finish and assembly first rate. I commented as such to Karmann and received the package of Karmann logos and stickers in the reply. I have never sent such a letter to a previous maker of my cars before. Although Hyundai probably warrants one. Chrysler did not warrant a similar letter for the LH models or the 300.
I believe the dies for some or most off the body were made by Magna/Massive as a buddy of mine says his son worked on them in Austria.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Personally I find the quality quite high, the body is built like a tank and the finish and assembly first rate. I commented as such to Karmann and received the package of Karmann logos and stickers in the reply. I have never sent such a letter to a previous maker of my cars before. Although Hyundai probably warrants one. Chrysler did not warrant a similar letter for the LH models or the 300.
I believe the dies for some or most off the body were made by Magna/Massive as a buddy of mine says his son worked on them in Austria.

It would probably be a safe bet that everyone on this site agrees with you, we all love these cars even if the headliner might come loose at it's corners. The problem with the Crossfire is that it was born out of a marriage that shouldn't have taken place, the SRT was fortunately built during the honeymoon and when Mercedes realized that Chrysler couldn't or wouldn't advertise the car as being theirs and/or that the American public wasn't putting two and two together and consequently the sales weren't even close to expectations, the marriage realized it's predicable outcome. Healey did it with Nash. In time, I'm sure the automotive world will give our little cars the respect they deserve, the SRT's are already starting to enjoy a little of that. Personally, I feel their (Chrysler and Mercedes) lost is and will continue to be our gain.

Dave

Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular

Eleven years of Bliss
100k miles no major service issues.
One of the best car I have ever bought. IMHO

Old 12-24-2014, 02:43 PM

Just imagine how these so called baastard cars would be talked up if Mercedes had stepped up and said this fine vehicle is one of ours, same quality, fruit of our loins, we'll proudly service it.

Quick Reply: Hargerty Insurance Rips on the Crossfire