All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

leg room and clutch

Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leg room and clutch

Do any XF's have adjustable brake and clutch pedals? I had a Marquis that had the technology. The pedals were pushbutton adjustable.They got it from Mercedes Benz I think. Do any of the 2004 XF's have adjustable pedals, electronic or manual ? I test drove an 07 Base and had a real hard time getting everything comfortable. My legs barely reach the ground when I stand up.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: leg room and clutch

Originally Posted by rixfire
Do any XF's have adjustable brake and clutch pedals? I had a Marquis that had the technology. The pedals were pushbutton adjustable.They got it from Mercedes Benz I think. Do any of the 2004 XF's have adjustable pedals, electronic or manual ? I test drove an 07 Base and had a real hard time getting everything comfortable. My legs barely reach the ground when I stand up.
LOL................
You would be taller if your legs weren't so short you mean.
No pedals that adjust, put blocks on them like they do on kids trikes.(Kidding)

Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe you should consider adjusting yourself to the car instead - sleep in traction.

Seriously, many are not aware the the steering wheel is adjustable front to back.
Do you have it all the way forward so you can move the seat more forward ?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Yes, I know the steering telescopes and it was all the way forward. The difficultyy was that it was an 07 base and they are murder to ad just especially after two hip replacement surgeries,two carpal tunnels and two rotator cuffs with a third one on the way. Short arms doen't help either. But at least I'm still good looking and modest. I found an 04 for with power seats but it's a 4 hour drive. He'll take my 05 Ltd automatic and a $1000 for his. About the same mileage. 48k on mine and 54k on his. Same color. I only want red. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You have to understand that the special thick & narrow seat Chysler put in the XF is designed for people who are under 5'7" and slender.

I am 5'10" with a 29" inseam and had to perform extensive surgery to the cosmetic rear bulkhead and the seat bottom & mounts to be able to drive over 50 miles. I also needed a 3" seat belt extender since I could not lower the wheel so needed to raise the seat.

Now I can sit reclined at 35 degrees and with arms and legs nearly straight out (can stretch in place). I prefer a Jim Clark position to a Barney Oldfield.

Anyone know why Chrysler chose such a different (about 2" thicker) seat than the one in an SLK ?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
You have to understand that the special thick & narrow seat Chysler put in the XF is designed for people who are under 5'7" and slender.

I am 5'10" with a 29" inseam and had to perform extensive surgery to the cosmetic rear bulkhead and the seat bottom & mounts to be able to drive over 50 miles. I also needed a 3" seat belt extender since I could not lower the wheel so needed to raise the seat.

Now I can sit reclined at 35 degrees and with arms and legs nearly straight out (can stretch in place). I prefer a Jim Clark position to a Barney Oldfield.

Anyone know why Chrysler chose such a different (about 2" thicker) seat than the one in an SLK ?
I need this! what did you do? Im 5'11 and use a pillow in the seat for lumbar. My back is killing me right this second from contorting to drive an hour to work this morning. It's a good thing it's so fun to drive.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Yes,the steering wheel is all the way forward. Shame it doesn't adjust up and down. Had that in my 87 Celica GTS.Great.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered attaching an extension to the back of the pedals? There must be a way to bring the pedals an inch or two closer.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Have you considered attaching an extension to the back of the pedals? There must be a way to bring the pedals an inch or two closer.
Here is the solution and it will be very stylish at the same time.

Originally Posted by Padgett
I prefer a Jim Clark position to a Barney Oldfield.
I doubt that statement, both of these guys are laying on their backs .............. 6 feet under the sod.

Attached Images
File Type: png

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-06-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Posted a lot about a year ago but basically all my life I have found to drive comforatably long distances (for me an hour is around the block, night run to the city is more of a stretch) I need a seat that reclines 35-40 degrees so I carry the weight of my back on my shoulders rather than the base of my spine & am most comfortable with arms and legs almost straight out in front of me.

I have been modifying seats to do this since the sixties but more recent cars (like the 16way seats in the Reattae and the eight way in my Jeep) make this easy. And all including the Judge have tilt wheels, usually all the way down.

Then came the crossfire which seems designed for the height impaired.

I quickly found that the tonneau and the chromed styling bars of the roadster made that right out. But I have a 'vert and was looking more for a Fiero replacement. Then I took a close look at the coupe and thought welllllll.

Now first off, none of my cars are 400 point show cars (well maybe the 88 Reatta coupe with the computer touch screen in the dash) and I would hesitate to do this to a SRT but a local coupe with six speed, cedar interior, and 120k miles came along for the right price.

Am sure that Chip Foose could do the same thing with style but I just wanted cheap comfort.

So first off to compensate for the lack of a tilt wheel I raised the rear of the driver's seat tracks by 1/2" then raised the seat all the way. This put the wheel in a comfortable position. This also necessitated adding a rigid 3" seat belt extension to make buckling and un easier to reach.

Then I removed the plastic bulkhead cover and used a sawzall and a cut off tool to cut out about a 4"x4" wedge out of the empty upper section behind the driver's seat. Both of these together let me move the steeply raked seat back about 2.5-3" further than before.

Next, removal of the plastic dead pedal & replacing with a flat plate let me stretch my left leg out straight when not clutching.

Finally because I was noticing occasional right hip pain, I bought a driver's seat from a parts car and used an electric knife and some foam to reshape the seat bottom into a much flatter profile. No more hip pain.

Then adding a bluetooth/HFP radio head unit completed making the crossie a comfortable long distance car that just needs one thing: a 2.67:1 rear gear to get revs down to 2k at 70 for 30 MPG and make the granny first gear usable other than for climbing walls.

Have now run 180+ miles nonstop several times and arrived in comfort.

ps even with the seat full up, the seat rake keeps about 2" of clearance between my head and the headliner As mentioned before I have relatively short legs (29" inseam) but have no trouble putting the clutch pedal on the firewall. Is a whole bunch lighter than the centerforce in the Judge.

pps Now that I have done this once I suspect that this might be possible with a roadster but might need to modify the tonneau and mounts a bit and lose the chromed styling bars.

Last edited by Padgett; 03-05-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Yes, I know the steering telescopes and it was all the way forward. The difficultyy was that it was an 07 base and they are murder to ad just especially after two hip replacement surgeries,two carpal tunnels and two rotator cuffs with a third one on the way. Short arms doen't help either. But at least I'm still good looking and modest. I found an 04 for with power seats but it's a 4 hour drive. He'll take my 05 Ltd automatic and a $1000 for his. About the same mileage. 48k on mine and 54k on his. Same color. I only want red. Thanks for the help.

?? I'm lost, you have an 07 base? Didn't thing there was such an animal. The 05 limited has electric seats don't they? Just a couple of things that is making me dizzy trying to figure out what your saying in regards to trading your 05 to an 04 because the car interior is the same and I believe your 05 should have power seats. I thought only the 04 base did not have power seats and the rest all the way to 08 had power seats. I guess if your 05 does not have power seats and the 04 does, your willing to pay 1000 for an older car, am I right? OK, I'm toast now... ??

Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM

My owner's manual does mention a manual seat for '07 but suspect you could just buy a power driver's seat and bolt it in. Does anyone know if the base XFs had the wiring and connector under the seat just not connected to anything ? All you need is power, the controls are on the seat base.

Last edited by Padgett; 03-06-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
?? I'm lost, you have an 07 base? Didn't thing there was such an animal. The 05 limited has electric seats don't they? Just a couple of things that is making me dizzy trying to figure out what your saying in regards to trading your 05 to an 04 because the car interior is the same and I believe your 05 should have power seats. I thought only the 04 base did not have power seats and the rest all the way to 08 had power seats. I guess if your 05 does not have power seats and the 04 does, your willing to pay 1000 for an older car, am I right? OK, I'm toast now... ??
I have been trying to figure out why this all had to be done for a year now. I'm 5'10" with 29 in inseam and the car is perfect for me, all in all I consider my size in the average range. If I had to do that much to get a car comfortable, I would have bought another car. LOL I hope someday to meet Padgett and see his driving position, I admire his ingenuity though, that was a lot of work.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I have been trying to figure out why this all had to be done for a year now. I'm 5'10" with 29 in inseam and the car is perfect for me, all in all I consider my size in the average range. If I had to do that much to get a car comfortable, I would have bought another car. LOL I hope someday to meet Padgett and see his driving position, I admire his ingenuity though, that was a lot of work.
We have all his vital statistics except his weight and that might be the problem, if he weighs 300lb he would not be able to keep his legs together.
I'm just under 5'11" in bare feet these days, I've shrunk and wear 32" pants and weigh 190lb. I had no trouble with my NA. I tend to think he has short legs, is a bit chubby and had a new sawzall that he wanted to try out on something.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM

No, if I were that heavy I would not be able to slide under the wheel with the seat all of the way up. Is more that have flown a few cars in my yout and have my original parts when contemporaries are getting hip and knee replacements.

(Note that I was leaning forward a bit here, with the harness pulled extra tight my head was behind the B pillar. Sitting that far back saved my life when I T-boned a ditch after a short flight. 'Vette was pre-collapsible steering columns.)

Do not have a 32" waist though my son does. Mine is a little larger but do not need to shop in "Big and Tall". Will admit that a Buick seat was more comfortable until I reshaped the XF seat bottom a bit.

The issue is my screwy driving position that is essentially reclining aka F1 in the 60's, Have had to modify seats before but in the case of the XF as soon as I tilted the seat back far enough, it only went back about 1/2 way before striking the bulkhead.

Have been known to cover over 1300 miles in under 24 hours including stops and while pulling a trailer & found that I could go a lot longer if I carried the weight of my back on my shoulders.

Sorry if this seems heretical but none of my cars stay stock for long and it works for me.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:59 AM

I'm 6.2. 300lbs thats what I need.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by princepenson
I'm 6.2. 300lbs thats what I need.
Not to be too personal here but the only thing that I see as adjustable here is your weight. I'm 5'11" and 195 lb so I am in the same boat, but I do fit OK.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm with 180 here. Not to get too personal;
How do you manage to start and stop the car.? The Clutch pedal is even with the other pedals.

Move the seat forward, move the steering wheel forward, and to see over the wheel, maybe sit on a telephone book. The Crossfire is actually made to accommodate small folks. You should fit well and easy in it if you adjust the seat and wheel.

I'm 6' 2" at 214 lbs. I fit fine. Getting in and out of the car is another story.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Not to be too personal here but the only thing that I see as adjustable here is your weight. I'm 5'11" and 195 lb so I am in the same boat, but I do fit OK.
I am about 6' ½" and 260ish. I am barely comfortable, I am comfortable, but barely. My biggest issue is headroom after I get the seat where I need it. I knew this going in, and I am using the purchase as a huge incentive to lose weight/size.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Im well fit with a muscular body.
I have long legs.

Quick Reply: leg room and clutch