All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Air Bag Recall

Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Recall

I've got another option in that there is an excellent, independent German car repair shop in Greenville - Southern Star Automotive.. They were recommended by the people at Bucket Stitch who I've used for upholstery work. I've used this facility for work on our 2006 VW New Beetle. They found an issue with the PCV system on our VW in about 30 minutes that the local dealer couldn't find after having the car for a full day. Anyway, Southern Star Automotive has a lot of experience with M-B vehicles and appear to take extra precautions when handling customer vehicles. Lots of expensive German autos get serviced by them.

Just have to take the chance on having this repair completed by an independent shop & then filing a claim with FCA to get reimbursed. It's never as easy as it's stated to be. And I hate paying upfront & then getting reimbursed after the fact.

What to do?

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got this recall notice yesterday as well. Didn't think it was that big of a deal until I googled images for Takata airbag shrapnel... I will be disconnecting my driver air bag until this part comes in, I will take my chances without an airbag like the majority of my older cars were. With my luck, I would be the one to die/maimed from shrapnel to the face in a 15-20mph impact.

I did ask the dealer if they would disconnect this for me (so it was all official), they intermediately said no, it is a safety system. Not recommending anyone do this, you have to weigh your own situation. But as the Crossfire is my daily commuter, I personally will feel safer without the driver side until it is repaired properly.

On another note, is there any clarity on if both driver and passenger air bags are affected? There is not much information, just a "your car has been identified". Curious if they will have to bust into my dash too.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RyanB

On another note, is there any clarity on if both driver and passenger air bags are affected? There is not much information, just a "your car has been identified". Curious if they will have to bust into my dash too.

Thanks,
Ryan
Recall notice only refers to driver airbag module. Passenger airbag module is not affected by this recall.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM

I reread the notice when I got home. You are correct, clearly states driver side. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Have gotten several like this for my '12 Jeep, after four CJF sent me a gift certificate.

Suspect it will take about 15 minutes to replace it, took a day and a half to replace the Pentastar cylinder head.

ps may take up to a year to "get parts". Seems CJF has done their duty with the notice.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 AM

After looking over other posts & checking the service manual, by Driver Airbag Module I'm assuming FCA means the entire airbag sub-assembly mounted in the steering wheel. If so, FCA may need enough airbag assemblies of the various colors (Cedar Red, Dark Slate Gray, Medium Slate Gray, Cool Vanilla) to handle this recall. Don't think they intend to use our existing steering wheel center piece and just replace the airbag inflator mounted to it. Could be awhile getting their parts supply built to handle recall service repairs.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-13-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM

I just got a recall notice for Air bags on my 2007. did anyone else?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Ok I now see other did get the notice. How do you disconnect the air bag?? Can anyone help me with that!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Found the following in a search earlier today:

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
At the heart of the problem is the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force. If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device.

Nailing down the root cause and determining which of Takata’s several inflator designs is implicated has been tough for Takata, the automakers, and independent investigators to establish. It now appears there are multiple causes, as well as several contributing factors, including poor quality control in manufacture, several years of exposure in high heat and humidity regions, and even the design of the car itself. If the propellant wafers break down, due to high humidity or another cause, the result is that the propellant burns too rapidly, creating excessive pressure in the inflator body.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RED-Fire
Ok I now see other did get the notice. How do you disconnect the air bag?? Can anyone help me with that!

BE WARNED !!!! IF YOU DISCONNECT THE AIRBAG AND RECONNECT THE BATTERY, YOU WILL HAVE TO VISIT A DEALER TO GET THE AIR BAR ERROR RESET !!!!!!!!

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-14-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Recal

It's important to understand the magnitude of this recall. Today it was announced that 85 million, and potentially up to 100 million vehicles, could be affected, with some vehicles 20 years old. I briefly worked for the company that handles U.S. recalls, and can tell you that 85M vehicles is mind-boggling.
As stated in another thread on this topic, I don't know how Takata stays above water and would be surprised if any OEM ever buys another air-bag from them.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply ala-xfire! I was hoping for an easier way like a fuse or something. I don't really want to take the bag out.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

and trigger the error light.

BTW my '07 XF has at least four air bags & only one is recalled ?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
BTW my '07 XF has at least four air bags & only one is recalled ?
The only other airbag recalls I've been aware of are some Passenger Airbag Modules in some makes that possibly were sourced from Takata. The Side Airbag & Passenger AirBag Modules in our XFires apparently were sourced from another supplier - maybe TRW? In the XFire, the airbag recalls are directed at the Takata supplied Driver Airbag Modules and this is the issue that typically exists in other car models.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Referencing this thread ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post865077 ) of the same problem, please be careful!

I hope they find someone to replace these sooner rather than later, and then pray those are not just 'thrown together'. Glad I don't own 'Takata' stock!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, let me get this straight. Chrysler is basically saying I'm more likely to be killed by "shrapnel" if I live in a state with high humidity, so they get their air bags replaced 1st?
My Sister-in-law and a good friend just got their recall notice in the past month, and they were both given brand new Nissan SUV's to drive while they wait for their cars to be fixed. One lives in Atlanta, the other in Akron. (I guess humidity levels must be similar) They told them it could take 3 months or more to get the parts.
Oh by the way, they drive one of those crappy Honda vehicles.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Referencing this thread ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post865077 ) of the same problem, please be careful!

I hope they find someone to replace these sooner rather than later, and then pray those are not just 'thrown together'. Glad I don't own 'Takata' stock!

And the ongoing recalls continue! ( NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight: Takata Air Bags Recalls ), which leads by link to ( NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight: Takata Air Bags Recalls ). Check out the pages, they are going by 'ZONES'!

Mine is parked until they come for it for the recall! Lets see them say I have to drive it in, then I just may get a lawyer.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

[QUOTE=GraphiteGhost;865078] Glad I don't own 'Takata' stock!
(/quote)
That is one stock purchase that would blow up in your face for sure.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

I find it strange they would use different suppliers for different airbags in the same vehicle. Didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I find it strange they would use different suppliers for different airbags in the same vehicle. Didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak.
I wouldn't give them credit for thinking like that. Probably more a cost savings - Takata made them an offer they couldn't refuse! Who knew the airbag modules were a POS!

Later,

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall