All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Is Chrysler Service Incompetent?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Chrysler Service Incompetent?

Had an issue with my car yesterday, took it to the dealer, to at least document the problem, white smoke smelling of burn electrical from the engine bay. They did an inspection, performed visual inspect, inspected some harnesses and clips, the interior of the fuse box, one would THINK they would would as a routine run a check of the charging system, battery/alternator to make sure no issues, nope, had to suggest after they said car was done to do that..still found nothing, cost me 145.
I have the lifetime warranty and purchased extended warranty (that expired but lifetime active)
Here is what the dealer Service Manager (not just anyone) told me:

1. The technicians really dont like working on these cars
2. The techs get no product support on working on the cars, so they are not really on top of them.

I told the service manager i bought the car and extended warranty due to also the lifetime warranty, the lifetime warranty did not say "We will work on your car for the lifetime of your ownership, but be advised we may be to incompetent to know what we are doing"

How is THAT any kind of message to pass on to the consumer? He told me to get a second opinion, to which I replied, "why, your company made the car, your telling me you dont stand behind your warranties nor know who to work on these?" ( I will get a second opinion)

Anyway, pretty frustrating, going to contact Chrysler of North America, and see whats what, given that this care was made when it was Daimler/Chrysler I do know they were still h onoring all service warranties, unless they are just trying to discourage people from bringing their crossifires in...probably, but they did make some quick coin from me. No way to run a business.would not buy another Chrysler product again, seeing as they are dead last tied with Fiat for the worst cars made..BUT. again, Fiat does own Chrysler, so go figure....Might go get a new 2016 Miata, at least I know they are rock solid and the dealers have been working on them since 1989...I know they are everywhere, but they do RUN.

Last question, will Chrysler lifetime warranty honor work done by third parties ie, an independent Mercedes shop, or ONLY if the work is performed at their stations? If not, the lifetime warranty is all but pointless and a total waste.

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-18-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Is Chrysler Service Incompetent?

Just because one dealer is incomptant/annoying does not mean all are. (I've have very good service for the Crossie at the same dealer I bought my Jeep from. Possibly because I established a rapport with the service manager and usually tell him exactly what I need.)

BTW " IMPORTANT! PLAN SERVICE OBTAINED FROM OTHER THAN A CHRYSLER, JEEP, DODGE OR RAM DEALER IS NOT REIMBURSABLE UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY CHRYSLER GROUP SERVICE CONTRACTS BEFORE THE SERVICE IS PERFORMED. DEALERS CANNOT AUTHORIZE REPAIRS."

I also can provide the dealer with the factory service manual and parts book but they should have in their system.

Last edited by Padgett; 06-18-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP, You have unfortunately been caught in Daimler/Chrysler's Crossfire.sorry. I've never heard of a lifetime warranty on a vehicle; really? Anyway, you're on the right track seeking out an inde.MB shop. From my observation in the forum here, there are more negative encounters at Chrysler dealers from members here, than there are positive.
Perhaps one of the members here could help steer you in the right direction if you let us know what area you reside in.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Suppose you are correct, mine expires in 2095 or 999,999 miles & is from Chrysler not a third party. See MAXCARE LIFETIME.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Suppose you are correct, mine expires in 2095 or 999,999 miles & is from Chrysler not a third party. See MAXCARE LIFETIME.
I truly hope that FCA continues to make good on that coverage for you. It just sounds too good to be true.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Yes, thats what I have, it came with the car when I bought it new..I have the paperwork, and it prints out at the dealer when they log my VIN into the system that I have it. I also bought an extended 8 year warranty, which I believe expired, but looking into it...figured with both I was covered even WITH a chrysler product.

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-18-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:24 PM

I realize one bad apple does not condemn the tree, what I find intolerable is the actual Service Mangager from the dealership, not a tech, telling me we dont really know much about your car, you should go somewhere else...that is just flat out wrong. Thats just unacceptable, as I mentioned, there is no fine print in my warranty that says we will try to work on your care IF we can figure it out....Im not making this up or exaggerating, h e actually told me we get no tech/product support, I recommend finding a MB place that will work on your car, I was speechless for a bit, and thought, well...arguing with him is not going to bet me anywhere, go higher up the food chain...sound advice, but I paid for a warranty, and now told go elsewhere.

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-18-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
To the OP, You have unfortunately been caught in Daimler/Chrysler's Crossfire.sorry. I've never heard of a lifetime warranty on a vehicle; really? Anyway, you're on the right track seeking out an inde.MB shop. From my observation in the forum here, there are more negative encounters at Chrysler dealers from members here, than there are positive.
Perhaps one of the members here could help steer you in the right direction if you let us know what area you reside in.
I found a very very good one 10 miles from me, and will now to there..they are competent, work only on Mercedes and crossfire, all worked at local MB dealerships before, and keep their tools/garage spotless..wash their hands before they enter your car, and treat you with respect, when they see you treat your care well, they are impressed, and treat you even better. They are always busy, its not because of no work they run a clean ship, its nice to see tool carts clean, tools wiped off after use, and put back..its impressive. Good people.

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-18-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ingsoc39
still found nothing, cost me 145.
I have the lifetime warranty and purchased extended warranty (that expired but lifetime active)
Why did it cost you $145 if you have a warranty?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ingsoc39
I found a very very good one 10 miles from me, and will now to there..they are competent, work only on Mercedes and crossfire, all worked at local MB dealerships before, and keep their tools/garage spotless..wash their hands before they enter your car, and treat you with respect, when they see you treat your care well, they are impressed, and treat you even better. They are always busy, its not because of no work they run a clean ship, its nice to see tool carts clean, tools wiped off after use, and put back..its impressive. Good people.

When and if you use a dealer, the first question to ask, "do you have a Crossfire Mechanic?" There are a few that actually went to school for the Crossfires. If not, you might ask if they would like the "Mechanic's Manual". It is here some where on the Forum.

I have been blessed to have one in Boise, but according to some is charging me too much. But, once they work on it, concerns are gone. I have 2 twins and in the 5 years we have had them (low miles - 50 / 42M on both) we replaced the Batteries, Tires, 2 parts for me (read lights section) and none for the wife's. We regularly keep up with the service maintenance. Larry Miller owns the dealership and stands behind there work.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Go ahead and replace the alternator ( takes about 1 hour & $200 ) and you will save yourself a lot of grief.
95% chance that's what is wrong.
Measure the battery voltage with engine off - should be at least 12.4
Measure with engine started, should be at least 14.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 PM

The 2008 Crossfire had the limited lifetime warranty. I have a coupe with this warranty. It covers motor and drivetrain for the life of the original owner. Searching for an electrical problem would not be covered.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by singerron
"limited" lifetime warranty. It covers motor and drivetrain for the life of the original owner.
Sorry to be a skeptic, but that is what I question. It seems that a dealer(serv. advisor)can most often figure out a way that it isn't covered and that they'll have to charge you instead. That is the business they're in.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coverage would be VOID if you have not followed the prescribed maintenance schedule and have receipts for said work. From the MAXCARE :

A: Customers are responsible for proper operation and maintenance of vehicles covered by Mopar® Vehicle Protection, just as if the vehicle is operating under warranty. Please refer to the Owner's Manual supplied by FCA US LLC (or other vehicle manufacturer) for detailed information. Be sure to keep all receipts and work orders related to the maintenance of your vehicle. This will help to determine if the recommended maintenance schedule was followed, should the need arise.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 AM

I’m caught in the Chrysler / Mercedes Crossfire!
My 2007 crossfire was suddenly “dead” after driving about 30 miles and parking it for a couple hours, when i turned the key in the ignition nothing happened. No sound, no dashboard lights, remote key would not lock nor unlock doors, unable to shif gears, no radio… nothing.
AAA attempted to jump start the 5 month old battery, but it registered fully charged.
Towed to local import cars mechanic who determined problem is with the ignition module. They told me once replaced the keys would have to be programmed to communicate with the new module, but they are not authorized to do that (bypass the security system).
Had car towed to Chrysler dealership in Ventura, CA. I never go to the dealership after I was told in 2006 when i took my 2004 crossfire to them by the mechanic there that i should never have them do anything more complicated than change the oil because the mechanics were not trained to work on Crossfires… but apparently I have no choice.
Chrysler did their own diagnosis and determined after 2 weeks that yes its the ignition module. They ordered the part and told me it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get it in. 3 weeks later the mechanic called me and said he is unable to get the part, his order was Canceled by the supplier because the car it was ordered for is not a Mercedes!
I contacted the local Mercedes dealership parts department and asked if I could order a part for my Crossfire. I was asked for the part number… I told them the car is at the Chrysler shop, they need the part but are unable to get it. I connected the two mechanics to get the part number… Chrysler mechanic removed the part and gave Mercedes the (Chrysler) part number and my VIN number. Mercedes said they cannot order the part because the numbers do not match Mercedes numbers. They were able to determine the Mercedes part number but it is a VIN specific part and cannot be ordered using a Chrysler VIN number!
No one seems to know what to do…
Can anyone here help??

Old 07-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by canadablue
I’m caught in the Chrysler / Mercedes Crossfire!
My 2007 crossfire was suddenly “dead” after driving about 30 miles and parking it for a couple hours, when i turned the key in the ignition nothing happened. No sound, no dashboard lights, remote key would not lock nor unlock doors, unable to shif gears, no radio… nothing.
AAA attempted to jump start the 5 month old battery, but it registered fully charged.
Towed to local import cars mechanic who determined problem is with the ignition module. They told me once replaced the keys would have to be programmed to communicate with the new module, but they are not authorized to do that (bypass the security system).
Had car towed to Chrysler dealership in Ventura, CA. I never go to the dealership after I was told in 2006 when i took my 2004 crossfire to them by the mechanic there that i should never have them do anything more complicated than change the oil because the mechanics were not trained to work on Crossfires… but apparently I have no choice.
Chrysler did their own diagnosis and determined after 2 weeks that yes its the ignition module. They ordered the part and told me it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get it in. 3 weeks later the mechanic called me and said he is unable to get the part, his order was Canceled by the supplier because the car it was ordered for is not a Mercedes!
I contacted the local Mercedes dealership parts department and asked if I could order a part for my Crossfire. I was asked for the part number… I told them the car is at the Chrysler shop, they need the part but are unable to get it. I connected the two mechanics to get the part number… Chrysler mechanic removed the part and gave Mercedes the (Chrysler) part number and my VIN number. Mercedes said they cannot order the part because the numbers do not match Mercedes numbers. They were able to determine the Mercedes part number but it is a VIN specific part and cannot be ordered using a Chrysler VIN number!
No one seems to know what to do…
Can anyone here help??

Sorry you're having this issue that is causing so much trouble. Is this your only vehicle (it determines what you can 'start' doing)? If you have transportation, I suggest you get your car out of the shop (tow it to home or a friend's location that can allow time to do some troubleshooting help). If you do not have time to troubleshoot, then your most likely at the point of being at the mercy of whoever has the car until you pay their bill. Fact is, many don't know enough about the problems that are easy enough to fix with some time and patience (by doing one step at a time). No guarantees but it can be done in most cases. This being said, get back to the forum with some specifics, and please limit your posts to one, so that the help can be centralized, and members aren't tripping over each other with this or that to try, ok? Good luck!

Old 07-06-2022, 06:20 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Contact the Mercedes Swap Shop. They are in California and can repair your module. Look them up on the internet and call them.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Sorry you're having this issue that is causing so much trouble. Is this your only vehicle (it determines what you can 'start' doing)? If you have transportation, I suggest you get your car out of the shop (tow it to home or a friend's location that can allow time to do some troubleshooting help). If you do not have time to troubleshoot, then your most likely at the point of being at the mercy of whoever has the car until you pay their bill. Fact is, many don't know enough about the problems that are easy enough to fix with some time and patience (by doing one step at a time). No guarantees but it can be done in most cases. This being said, get back to the forum with some specifics, and please limit your posts to one, so that the help can be centralized, and members aren't tripping over each other with this or that to try, ok? Good luck!

i just had my car towed away from the Chrysler dealership repair shop to my preferred mechanic. I found Brian Hoffman on a facebook Crossfire page who told me the ignition control module / Skreem can be repaired, and he will call my mechanic and tell him how to do it. I am still dumbfounded that Chrysler cannot purchase a module for the Crossfire from Mercedes!

Old 07-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by canadablue
i just had my car towed away from the Chrysler dealership repair shop to my preferred mechanic. I found Brian Hoffman on a facebook Crossfire page who told me the ignition control module / Skreem can be repaired, and he will call my mechanic and tell him how to do it. I am still dumbfounded that Chrysler cannot purchase a module for the Crossfire from Mercedes!

Fiat/Chrysler had quite the messy divorce from Mercedes Benz. Couple that with an attitude (it seems) of superiority with the Benz people, then you have the situation where Chrysler doesn't care to know about the car and Benz folks don't have the interest to learn the Fiat/Chrysler software/hardware. Most of the drivetrain is built on an SLK320 (and you should look for the parts using the Benz numbers if they are available) AND those SLK320 parts are much less expensive (if you can find the Chrysler numbered parts anywhere you can compare and be totally shocked). Many have said they bought a Chrysler part with a Chrysler label on it OVER a Benz part number. When they looked up the benz part number, they got PI55ED off they paid so much for the Chrysler part number! Back to your car, if your POSITIVE the SKREEM module is bad make sure your new mechanic gets the sourced fix from the ones who know what they are doing. I haven't had this issue so I cannot advise. Just do the research (or point your mechanic to it) and if it is the SKREEM, you'll be back on the road (fingers crossed). Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
canadablue (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Reference post #17.

Quick Reply: Is Chrysler Service Incompetent?