All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

I have got the COOLEST crossfire around ...

Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking I have got the COOLEST crossfire around ...

When I designed the dual cold air inlet for ROB at Needswings, I did it to get more bottom end power and response. In testing I measured a 1 PSIG pressure drop on the road under WOT acceloration. THat was huge, like 7% power loss due to the lower air density of 13.7 versus the 14.7 PSIG.

The dual inlet allowed less restriction and the rest as they say is history, the DCAI was born.

Well that was the good side and my dyno charts showed real bottom end gain and like 25 - 35 Horsepower gains at the bottom, yeah

Fast forward several years, the design was not done as the intake are hot and that heats the inlet air, I even tried polishing the bottom to allow less radiation heating - nutz on that one.

Well there is a downside of the dcai, you have TWICE the exposed inlet piping and HALF the velocity in the pipe which is good to reduce frictional losses in the inlet air charge to the throttle body.

Well #2 the lower velocity allows more latent time for heating in the intake and thus the air temp is raised over the single inlet!!!!!!!!!!! BOOH. THe gain in air density is off set a bit by having hotter inlet air even with the air filter in front of the radiator.

To improve this I decided to test out an idea that is now proven. I used mylar thermal insulation to wrap the entire intet pipe. Stainless steel clamps serve to hold the aluminum tape and make a neat installation and YOU CAN DO IT EASILY in about 1 hour or so.

Today from 72 to 94 degrees on the road, I tested one side against the other to see the improvement over driving highway and city. The pipes were tested with thermal probes that were within 0.1 degree from matching readings. The photos show the setup and temp meter used for data recording. Some may recognize the meter as I used it to test my hood cooling design, super cooler design.

I got between 6 and almost 10 degree cooler temps on the driver side versus the passenger side in same car at the same time - a real test comparison.

THis is a gain and Ill go into more later, but it looks cool, runs cool and is low cost, enjoy and review the pictures. Wdy Enjoy

CrossfireForum.org - waldig's Album: cool dual intake design - Mark #2 - Picture

CrossfireForum.org - waldig's Album: cool dual intake design - Mark #2

Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I have got the COOLEST crossfire around ....

Thanks for doing all the R & D Woody. I'm sure the "serious" drag racers here will find it very useful.

#18 (permalink) Report Post
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM

If you are concerned with heat soak, simply apply "Header Insulation Tape Wrap" around your existing intake tubes. If that doesn't cool the air down enough, look for "Gold" foil to wrap over the header tape. Nothing repels heat as well as gold foil.

09-26-2012, 11:27 PM

User Gallery
Default Re: Hood scoop...comments?

From an ad in Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car Magazines Nov. 2012 issue.

GOLD STANDARD

Thermo Tec offers a new heat barrier with a bright anodized "gold" finish. The aluminium foil finish is strong and durable, able to handle radiant temperatures up to 1800 degrees and reflect 80% of radiant heat.
The fiberglass insulation backing can handle continuous temperatures up to 300 degrees, and has a strong adhesive backing for easy applications. It's ideal for use on firewalls, under hoods, on the undercarriage, in fiberglass fairings, or anywhere else heat protection may be needed.
12x24" size $55.00
24x24" size $110.00
24x48" size $215.00
Thermo Tec
1-800-274-8437
Thermo-Tec : Latest exhaust insulating and heat protection technology

I know this stuff isn't cheap, but for you guys that are concerned with "heat soak" on your NeedsWings CAI, this is something that could cure it for a little more than a $100.00 on a single CAI.

Last edited by +fireamx; 07-19-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heat soak is just that. You're saturated with heat. After that happens (not too far into a track day) wouldn't you be better off without a wrap?
Wont the thermal wrap hold the heat in and take a longer time to cool down versus not having it wrapped in the first place?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: I have got the COOLEST crossfire around ....

While driving you are pulling air thru all the time, and insulation cools the lines so they heat up less.

Sitting - maybe we need to find a way to purge the intake like nitros users do cool their lines, HUMMMmmmmm.

WDY

Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Woody, Great idea, but maxcichon has already been there, done that :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...gold-90063.jpg

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-20-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been "wrapped" for years too. Perhaps over wrapped. Mine has a sprayed layer liquid electrical tape, followed by header wrap and finally wrapped by thermal sleeves. It keeps the radiated heat out as long as the car is moving. I didn't use thermal probes to document results so hat's off to you Woody.

Les

Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Woody, Great idea, but maxcichon has already been there, done that :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...gold-90063.jpg
Thanks for the nod, buddy.

Mine is a pure infrared reflector with a verrrrry thin insulator. It relies on the constant movement of air inside to carry away (into the engine) any heat it does pick up.

I've made no measurements, just had the material laying about from a satellite project at the lab. Put it to good use!

Last edited by maxcichon; 07-20-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Thanks for the nod, buddy.
No problem, forgot to add that you also covered the throttle body with the gold stuff.

I didn't mention that I also did this 2 years ago with silver adhesive hot water tank insulation from Home Depot and some silver tape. It worked, but looked so crappy that I took it off.
Where I normally was seeing 13-16 degrees difference between ambient and IAT at 65 MPH cruise, with the insulation I was seeing 4-6 degrees difference.