All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Summary - 5 Years of Ownership / And Costs

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Summary - 5 Years of Ownership / And Costs

5 Years of Ownership August 2010 to 2015
2004 Coupe – SSB Build 2715
Updated
Loved it when I bought it………Still love it. Purchased with 6000 miles on it for $13K. I have 34,000 miles on it now. Here’s what I’ve had to do and wanted to do thus far……….
Summary of Cost of Ownership:
Issues: $650
General Maintenance (including oil changes): $2480
Optional Mods: $1375
Total Costs - Issues, Mods and Maintenance: $4505
Details
Issues and Repairs
Tranny Conncector: went bad 4 months after purchase. Lucky for me, this was a 7/70 warranty car so it was covered under warranty!!!!! Otherwise I was looking at about $2400. They couldn’t get the connector out (common problem) and had to break connector plate. Zero cost except had to leave it there for about 4-5 days.
Front brake pad sensors: Sensor light came on about 3 years ago. No issues with the brakes, just faulty sensors. Had new sensors put in and had them put on new pads while they were at it. About $200 as I recall.
Auto dimming rear mirror: The mirror went bad. Bought a new / larger one for about $100 and installed it myself. Be very careful if you do this. Removing the window attachment mount can be very challenging. I took a few chips out of the inside glass.
Radio: I had an early 2004 LED radio. Worked fine, looked good at night but impossible to see in sunlight. I bought an OEM LCD off a wrecked 2005 and installed it myself. $50. I had to buy the radio tools as well for about $10. This was not really an “issue” but I put it in this category because it was impossible to see the screen from the LED.
Center Mount Brake Light: Common issue as I understand it. Light worked intermittently. Just bought a used one for $60 including shipping. Just replaced it yesterday.
Headliner: As far as I know, only the roadsters are free of eventually having this issue. $175 to replace. Happened about 2 years ago.
Washer Fluid Jets: I had the issue where the heating elements in the jet nozzles melted the plastic at the connector and basically block / prevented the fluid from entering the jets and spraying the windows. Removed the cowl, removed the nozzles, used a small drill bit to open the flow to the jets from through the connector area and reinstalled. They work again. I don't need it much given I don't drive in the snow, rain etc. but it bugged the crap out of me for the few times I did need to use it. About an hour plus to take the cowl off, remove the nozzles, drill and reinstall.
General Maintenance
Anti-Freeze Flush and Replacement: Done at dealer about 2 years ago. About $180. Wish I didn’t have to get it done at the dealer but I didn’t want to deal with the old coolant.
Brake Fluid Flush: Done this past spring. About $180.
Oil Changes: Only 1 done at the dealer. Had it done when I first purchased it. All other changes I’ve done myself. Only mobil one. I use an evacuator. Easy, clean and love the fact the filter is on top! Estimate about 8 oil changes in 5 years – so I change the oil about every 3500 miles. At an average of $65 per change for the oil (on sale) and filter = $520
Tires: I ran the heck out of the original (Michelin PS2’s) up to about 28500. They were pretty worn out (and noisey)but given they were summer tires, I feel very fortunate to make it that long. I bought new Michelin Super Sports about 2 years ago. Love the tires. About $1600.
Optional Mods:
FM Transmitter / Bluetooth: Bought it when I first bought the car. $50. Great little investment / device. Plugs into the lighter, plays through the radio via FM signal, plays San Disk cards, jump drive, Ipod, etc. Also, Bluetooth link to phone so voice is heard through car speakers etc. Works very well. Has steering wheel control unit too.
Needswings DCAI: Purchased from Rob, did the install myself. About $1000 including the Mercedes Engine Cover. Love the look and added performance.
Eurocharged: Twice – updated when I did the NW DCAI last summer. $300 Love the response.
Hardwired Garmin NAV: Cost: about $15. I had the Nav and purchased the fuse connector and female connector for the cig plug connector from the Nav cord. Ran to the fuse panel and up the A pillar. Love it. Comes on when I turn the car on and ready to go. Easy access and visablity.
Remote Lock Beep Mod: Cost: about $10. Did this myself. Followed the instructions on the forum. Great mod. I do want to install a louder signal though.

Last edited by PNA; 07-31-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Summary - 5 Years of Ownership / And Costs

Nice write up! You inspired me to do the same to see what my SRT6 purchased in 2012 has cost me thus far. I know in actual maintenance it has been three oil changes with Royal Purple for about $300, a bottle of brake fluid for $20 and a CPS for $42. That's it! Everything else falls under mods which came out to about $9000 so added to the cost of the car ($16,500) means I've got about $26,000 in it. Of course I do all my own work, which did save me a few pesos. When I got the car in 2012, I read an article in a car mag, MT I think, about bang for the buck, in which the cars had to come in under $31,000 and included a 'Stang, VW GTI, Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, MX5 Miata. Hyundai Genesis. Well, you know what? For 5 grand less, I would smoke 'em in every category with plenty of reserve. That makes our cars some of the best deals in the auto world, not to mention all the attention they get where ever we go. Long live the Crossfire!!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Nice write up! You inspired me to do the same to see what my SRT6 purchased in 2012 has cost me thus far. I know in actual maintenance it has been three oil changes with Royal Purple for about $300, a bottle of brake fluid for $20 and a CPS for $42. That's it! Everything else falls under mods which came out to about $9000 so added to the cost of the car ($16,500) means I've got about $26,000 in it. Of course I do all my own work, which did save me a few pesos. When I got the car in 2012, I read an article in a car mag, MT I think, about bang for the buck, in which the cars had to come in under $31,000 and included a 'Stang, VW GTI, Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, MX5 Miata. Hyundai Genesis. Well, you know what? For 5 grand less, I would smoke 'em in every category with plenty of reserve. That makes our cars some of the best deals in the auto world, not to mention all the attention they get where ever we go. Long live the Crossfire!!
Thanks. It's fun to look back. It's even better if we have such positive reflection.
I'm at $17,505 for mine for total ownership (not gas) over 5 years including purchase price (non SRT though). If I can be lucky enough to keep maintenance and mods to similar costs over the next 5 years.......that would be awesome.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know when you put some miles on the car. Have 124,000 found that it's not all that reliable. Went through two water pumps, tensioner, fan motor and module, bad low oil sensor in the pan, numerous other things, right now the check engine light is on probably due to a bad O2 sensor but the car runs fine. A/C needs a recharge and the top doesn't go down until I've pushed the button about half a dozen times though it goes up just fine. This list doesn't include normal maintenance such as brakes and oil changes and a couple sets of tires.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by AlG
Let us know when you put some miles on the car. Have 124,000 found that it's not all that reliable. Went through two water pumps, tensioner, fan motor and module, bad low oil sensor in the pan, numerous other things, right now the check engine light is on probably due to a bad O2 sensor but the car runs fine. A/C needs a recharge and the top doesn't go down until I've pushed the button about half a dozen times though it goes up just fine. This list doesn't include normal maintenance such as brakes and oil changes and a couple sets of tires.

Yes, but this is only A reflection of my ownership acknowledging my time with the car and costs. I doubt ill hit 125,000 for another 20 years of ownership (at my rate of use). I can onlyhope i dont have any serious issues.

I forgot to add one other fix I had to do (on my own at no cost. I had to drill out the washer fluid jets. The heater elements that warm the fluid melted the plastic inlets to the nozzles. Took about an hour or so. They work fine now.

All cars have issues, some more than others. Keeping my fingers Crossed.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlG

If I had a CEL, I would find out for sure what it was, no guessing! By doing my own maintenance, I make sure things are done right, torque specs are correct etc. Still, something can go wrong but I learned a long tome ago, that preventive maintenance is easier than repair.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AlG
Im over 152k and have an srt-6 mine has been reliable and is modded I should be pushing over 300 minimal to the rear wheels. The maintenance cost on this thing are high though. Im in the process of overhauling the whole suspension and have at least 3k tied into that along but that is maintenance.

I havent had to change a water pump, fan motor, I did replace my RCM as it burnt out my air pump which made me have to replace that. I guess that is an issue. Never had to recharge the A/C.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Almost 52k on the roadster and other than annual oil/filter changes, and a preventive tranny fluid and coolant change, there has been one repair. My transmission cable slipped and it cost $140 to diagnose and replace it. Afterwards, my tranny finally shifted much better than ever from 1-2.

Almost 28k on the SRT6 and other than the s/c intercooler under warranty and annual oil/filter changes, I had a plenum plug pop out under hard acceleration. Had it towed, diagnosed (I thought I blew the s/c), and repaired for under $100. I'll have the coolant and brake fluid replaced this fall.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

At first, I let shop do my maintenance like brakes and oil change and belt and wheel bearing check. I got a whopping bill. And, even though they had to remove discs, they charge the full price to check nd adjust wheel bearings! ggrrrrr.

I was intimidated thinking MB was some kind of tricky/special engineering that regular old metric tools couldn't fix. Now retired, with time, and no worries about auto down time, I have learned that the crossfire is in fact EASY to maintain. And as easy to repair as any I've worked on, as a gearhead who used to rebuild dog-year thunderbirds with his kids, had a motor hoist, lotsa secial tools, etc.

Only problems after 89K on my 2006 limited coupe were headliner ($250 I think), steering stabilizer $20), crankshaft position sensor, relay control module, shock absorbers.
Everything else (and I might be correct including the stabilizer and shocks as maintenance) has been maintenance. Oh yeah, a headlight and a rear yellow running light on the back fender.

AND MAY I SAY... if your steering wheel shakes at all, and you, as did I, chalked it up to 'well, fat tires, not brand new, not really that shakey" THEN... Get a new steering stabilizer. Jack it up, remove apron, remove two easily accessible bolts and pull out old, place new into place, bolt on, replace apron, lower from jack(stand!!!). This was the SINGLE MOST REWARDING thing I ever did to this car. And less than $20. I then got some monroe gas shocks (way more pleasant ride all the sudden) and good year tires which along with agreeing to use their credit card I got installed and balanced for just under $800. (a new size just recently - 2017 introduced ) I know, these shocks and tires are only claimed good up to like 130 mph, and will not give me the whole capability of this car. But it suits me, I do not drive my daily driver past 90, let alone to 149mph. Anyway, my suspension was tight but the shocks were worn, as they are wear items. Again... the steering stabilizer is like a little shock absorber for steering linkage, maybe 18 - 20 inches at most long (ok ok ok 50 cm) and an inch and a half in diameter. It is there because our big fat tires want to shake the drag link and send vibration up the steering column at small road imperfections and so the stabilizer gets a real work out. If you never changed it... do it now! You will love it! And with our heavy wheels, NEW SHOCKS EVERY 50K... less than $180 if you do it yourself. Wait for Meinekie or whoever to have free install when you buy 4, if you do not want to do it yourself, bring the stabilizer with you. And check adjust the wheel bearings! All are easy jobs for DIY Today's date Aug 12, 2020. I love my crossfire and expect it to be the car that the kids have to sell on craigslist! hahaha

The following 3 users liked this post by crossfireforum1951:
CROSSFIRERUSH (10-18-2020), Hawker (10-09-2020), SteveH (11-08-2023)
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

It is only expensive if you don't take a little time to DIY (simple maintenance)…

Old saying, you can pay a little now, or pay someone else a lot later!

The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (08-12-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

Driving and owning the car = Priceless

Old 10-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by crossfireforum1951
At first, I let shop do my maintenance like brakes and oil change and belt and wheel bearing check. I got a whopping bill. And, even though they had to remove discs, they charge the full price to check nd adjust wheel bearings! ggrrrrr.

I was intimidated thinking MB was some kind of tricky/special engineering that regular old metric tools couldn't fix. Now retired, with time, and no worries about auto down time, I have learned that the crossfire is in fact EASY to maintain. And as easy to repair as any I've worked on, as a gearhead who used to rebuild dog-year thunderbirds with his kids, had a motor hoist, lotsa secial tools, etc.

Only problems after 89K on my 2006 limited coupe were headliner ($250 I think), steering stabilizer $20), crankshaft position sensor, relay control module, shock absorbers.
Everything else (and I might be correct including the stabilizer and shocks as maintenance) has been maintenance. Oh yeah, a headlight and a rear yellow running light on the back fender.

AND MAY I SAY... if your steering wheel shakes at all, and you, as did I, chalked it up to 'well, fat tires, not brand new, not really that shakey" THEN... Get a new steering stabilizer. Jack it up, remove apron, remove two easily accessible bolts and pull out old, place new into place, bolt on, replace apron, lower from jack(stand!!!). This was the SINGLE MOST REWARDING thing I ever did to this car. And less than $20. I then got some monroe gas shocks (way more pleasant ride all the sudden) and good year tires which along with agreeing to use their credit card I got installed and balanced for just under $800. (a new size just recently - 2017 introduced ) I know, these shocks and tires are only claimed good up to like 130 mph, and will not give me the whole capability of this car. But it suits me, I do not drive my daily driver past 90, let alone to 149mph. Anyway, my suspension was tight but the shocks were worn, as they are wear items. Again... the steering stabilizer is like a little shock absorber for steering linkage, maybe 18 - 20 inches at most long (ok ok ok 50 cm) and an inch and a half in diameter. It is there because our big fat tires want to shake the drag link and send vibration up the steering column at small road imperfections and so the stabilizer gets a real work out. If you never changed it... do it now! You will love it! And with our heavy wheels, NEW SHOCKS EVERY 50K... less than $180 if you do it yourself. Wait for Meinekie or whoever to have free install when you buy 4, if you do not want to do it yourself, bring the stabilizer with you. And check adjust the wheel bearings! All are easy jobs for DIY Today's date Aug 12, 2020. I love my crossfire and expect it to be the car that the kids have to sell on craigslist! hahaha
Thanks much for this. I'm bookmarking it so I can find it again.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Crossfireforum1951 may i ask where you got the steering shock for 20 bucks? Its on my list while I am doing service to my SRT-6

Old 11-12-2020, 01:27 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

$24 with free shipping and lifetime warranty :
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...per-1244630432

Old 11-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Received 530 Likes on 420 Posts

I do something similar but somewhat different. I keep ongoing MRO (Maintenance, Repairs, Operations) cost (less insurance & depreciation) on all my vehicles. Attached are the files I keep on the 2007 Crossfire Coupe. I track all costs during the year, but only identify what I consider to be the major expenditures during the year in my data file..

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007 XFire_Results_Data.pdf (7.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-12-2020 at 05:01 PM.