All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

starting issue

Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue

I have an 04 crossfire with 80000 km on it. it was running perfectly until recently. Sometimes it wont start. it turns over and acts normal but wont fire. I can hear the fuel pump and I wait till it stops. ive replaced the cam sensor the crankshaft sensor and the fuel pump relay but it remains the same. if I keep trying it will start and when its running it runs perfect and has never stalled... Any ideas? very frustrated

Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: starting issue

What brand of sensors did you put in it?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:18 PM

I replaced the cam sensor and my intermittent check engine light has disappeared..i have no codes. I got the sensors from Lordco I don't remember the brand. if the crankcase sensor didn't work wouldn't it just not turn over at all?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 PM

I did notice that the wires going to the crankcase sensor seem pretty frail

Old 09-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

When replacing these Crank and Cam sensors use only "Bosch" brand sensors
Many other suppliers have proven to fail newly installed by many here who didn't purchase the "Bosch" brand first.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:10 PM

well . i put a bosch crank sensor in. no difference..took it back they replaced it. still the same...I have tons of juice it turns over very well. it will make a backfire noise if I keep cranking it..so I think I have lots of fuel.. ive changed the fuel pump relay and I can see it closing properly.. maybe cam sensor wire...any other ideas anyone?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM

Possibly an injector that is leaking? Have you tried to "prime" the engine by turning the key to on (not start), wait about 3 seconds, back to off and repeat twice and then crank?

I had a leaky injector in a Thunderbird that caused a similar symptom unless I primed the fuel system. Basically the pump could not build pressure quick enough and add to it that one cylinder was flooded it wouldn't want to start for about 10 seconds of cranking.

Only other thing that comes to mind would be a faulty mass air flow sensor, but I have never had one not allow a car to start, just stay running was the issue. I have never seen one that did not throw a code almost instantly as well.

Good luck, hope you find the problem.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the RCM? https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM

I replaced the rcm and I can see that it is closing. the strange thing is that there is no codes. I can hear the fuel pump and I wait till its stopped and then turn it. sometimes it starts .sometimes it doesn't. it has never completely stranded me but its embarrassing. if it threw a code at least I would have a starting point. if it was the ignition I don't think the points would close. I think it must be a wire.. crankcase wire possibly. it is possible that I have 4 faulty crank sensors but really..i think if it was a maf problem it would also affect driving ,. but I will look at that too. I think it would throw a code .

Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It could be the connector to the crankcase sensor ......

Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 PM

ok did some more tests.. we have spark when its not starting and it starts when I spray gas into the intake...so id say its a fuel delivery problem..guess I should have the pressure tested..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Yep, you are looking for 50-60 PSI at the test port.
You can probably save yourself a bunch of $$$ by testing it yourself.
Not entirely certain this will connect properly, but for $30 it's worth a shot :
Amazon.com: ABN Fuel Injection Pressure Test Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ABN Fuel Injection Pressure Test Kit: Automotive

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 PM

I believe I have found the culprit.. wasn't fuel. its the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor..since it only failed once in a while it was hard to figure out but while it was running I just touched the wires and the car shut right down..could have been bad if id hit a pothole..

Old 10-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks for reporting back !
Question : was it a Bosch CPS or Chinese rip-off ?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM

I have a bosch on it. but its the connector that's shorting once in a while.. now where do I get that..not on ebay.. checked

Old 10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same .when i try to crank it .it like it not gettin gas .but i hear the fuel pump so i turn the key to the off position two to three time for bout 5 second .soon it will crank .what is the problem

The following users liked this post:
RESHOE (06-15-2021)
Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 AM

Most likely the fuel filter. It has a one way valve designed to maintain pressure to the fuel rail with the pump off.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 PM
Default Re: starting i left out answer to lead quesrion.

Originally Posted by roar
I have a bosch on it. but its the connector that's shorting once in a while.. now where do I get that..not on ebay.. checked
I'm having the same exact problem with an 06 crossfire limited, not the supercharged model. My car has 9,200 original miles on it and when I had sat in the car idling for about ten minutes it died like it ran out of gas. It would crank over like mad but wouldnt start or stay running without dusting it with starting fluid and then it would run great for about 5vseconds then die out again. I believe I'm having a fuel problem. I changed out battery with a high cca rated battery and replaced the crank and camshaft sensors. I Al's put a new fuel pump and German fuel filter. Any ideas? By the way the connectors are online with napa I believe.

Last edited by autocar; 05-18-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: starting i left out answer to lead quesrion.

Originally Posted by autocar
I'm having the same exact problem with an 06 crossfire limited, not the supercharged model. My car has 9,200 original miles on it and when I had sat in the car idling for about ten minutes it died like it ran out of gas. It would crank over like mad but wouldnt start or stay running without dusting it with starting fluid and then it would run great for about 5vseconds then die out again. I believe I'm having a fuel problem. I changed out battery with a high cca rated battery and replaced the crank and camshaft sensors. I Al's put a new fuel pump and German fuel filter. Any ideas? By the way the connectors are online with napa I believe.
First, check your fuel pressure in the fuel rail - it if is not 55-60psi, you found your problem. IT is rare, but I remember a member having issues with the fuel pickup on the tank.
THis is the kit I bought, for under $40, it tests the Crossfire and my Ford Ranger - as easily as checking a tire pressure:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-5630

Beyond that, I'm thinking MAF or Throttle Body.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Most likely the fuel filter. It has a one way valve designed to maintain pressure to the fuel rail with the pump off.
Last week it was found that my fuel rail was losing pressure. Cranked for a long time before start. Went from 60 pounds to 15 as soon as the engine shut down. The repair shop said it was the check valve in the new pump they put in 7 months ago. Replaced the pump under warranty. I've read in a few places in this forum where folks said the filter check valve kept the pressure in the fuel rail, but if so why did the shop replace the pump? They didn't replace the filter. The problem is fixed.

Quick Reply: starting issue