All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Crossfire Oil Change

Old 07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Oil Change

Wow, I also learned something - thanks, RobM.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Me too! Thanks, buddy!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 530 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
The FSS clock (days) + wrench service indicator should only come on if it has been at least a year since the last time the FSS was reset. If you're driving only a couple thousand miles a year there is no issue with going a bit longer than a year. IMO, even stretching the interval out to two years in otherwise pampered low mileage vehicles isn't going to hurt anything, especially since there are 8 quarts of oil to absorb contaminants and preferably a fleece filter in use.

I change oil no more than once a year, and have stretched it out closer to two years on one occasion. At some point (approaching 2 years after prior reset) the FSS clock appeared with a countdown and something like 40 some days (I can't recall exactly where the countdown started). But it will count down from that point in days (though I've read others report it may skip around, up or down, a bit as it counts down). When the clock gets to 0 days it will then be preceded by a minus sign as it counts up (as in you are this many days late on your service).

At -365 days, the PCM will send a signal to the SKREEM module to disable the starter to avoid damaging the engine until the FSS is reset (just kidding, I made that last sentence up).

Back when Crossfires were stacked up on dealer lots and selling slowly some new Crossfire owners were surprised to learn their Crossfires needed service right away as indicated by the wrench and clock.

Me, three! That's two new learnings today. A third will send me "over the edge"!

Seriously, I typically do the 2-yr oil change. And like VALK, usually drive up my ramps after taking a short spin to get everything up to temperature. And I also prefer to perform the oil change "like my dad taught me". (Note: Never can find the oil filer when I'm under the car!)

I have seen this wrench/clock warning before, but never really gave it much attention other than to know it was telling me to perform the oil change soon.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:47 AM

At -365 days, the PCM will send a signal to the SKREEM module to disable the starter to avoid damaging the engine until the FSS is reset (just kidding, I made that last sentence up).

Knowing what I know about this car, this would not have surprised me! HAH!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

The FSS clock (days) + wrench service indicator should only come on if it has been at least a year since the last time the FSS was reset. If you're driving only a couple thousand miles a year there is no issue with going a bit longer than a year. IMO, even stretching the interval out to two years in otherwise pampered low mileage vehicles isn't going to hurt anything, especially since there are 8 quarts of oil to absorb contaminants and preferably a fleece filter in use.

I change oil no more than once a year, and have stretched it out closer to two years on one occasion. At some point (approaching 2 years after prior reset) the FSS clock appeared with a countdown and something like 40 some days (I can't recall exactly where the countdown started). But it will count down from that point in days (though I've read others report it may skip around, up or down, a bit as it counts down). When the clock gets to 0 days it will then be preceded by a minus sign as it counts up (as in you are this many days late on your service).

Back when Crossfires were stacked up on dealer lots and selling slowly some new Crossfire owners were surprised to learn their Crossfires needed service right away as indicated by the wrench and clock.
Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Originally Posted by maxcichon
Me too! Thanks, buddy!
Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Me, three! That's two new learnings today. A third will send me "over the edge"!

Seriously, I typically do the 2-yr oil change. And like VALK, usually drive up my ramps after taking a short spin to get everything up to temperature. And I also prefer to perform the oil change "like my dad taught me". (Note: Never can find the oil filer when I'm under the car!)

I have seen this wrench/clock warning before, but never really gave it much attention other than to know it was telling me to perform the oil change soon.

All fine and dandy until a 2008 (like mine) comes along with a lifetime powertrain warranty (LPW), and the oil service interval exceeds the 1 year mark (fully documented of course with date/odometer reading). We already have FCA screwing us enough, have to tread lightly on this point. So, one year maximum (time, not mileage) limit for this 08 first owner. Don't drive it enough for the 'miles driven' milestone. If you have the LPW, be careful to maintain it correctly. One member (can't remember who) did not have his 5 year mandatory service check done and lost his LPW.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
All fine and dandy until a 2008 (like mine) comes along with a lifetime powertrain warranty (LPW), and the oil service interval exceeds the 1 year mark (fully documented of course with date/odometer reading). We already have FCA screwing us enough, have to tread lightly on this point. So, one year maximum (time, not mileage) limit for this 08 first owner. Don't drive it enough for the 'miles driven' milestone. If you have the LPW, be careful to maintain it correctly. One member (can't remember who) did not have his 5 year mandatory service check done and lost his LPW.
Good point!!! You wouldn't want to give them any excuses to void your warranty.

I read the LPW overview that Chrysler would post online back then and was curious what is actually in the actual contract. For example, when your Crossfire is 30 years old and the engine fails, what do you actually get in return? Are they going to pay someone to rebuild the engine or buy you a reconditioned one? A new one? Do they stipulate limitations on reimbursement anywhere in that contract? For example, I've seen other lifetime warranty contracts that basically state that reimbursement is only up to some specific guide average value of the vehicle itself, at which point a cash settlement is made. In those cases, the warranty is better than nothing, but it still provides a diminishing return. What's the Crossfire LPW state? I could see in another 10 years someone filing a claim with FCA and them saying you get NADA (so to speak) - which by then might be $2K.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 AM

Good point!!! You wouldn't want to give them any excuses to void your warranty.

I read the LPW overview that Chrysler would post online back then and was curious what is actually in the actual contract. For example, when your Crossfire is 30 years old and the engine fails, what do you actually get in return? Are they going to pay someone to rebuild the engine or buy you a reconditioned one? A new one? Do they stipulate limitations on reimbursement anywhere in that contract? For example, I've seen other lifetime warranty contracts that basically state that reimbursement is only up to some specific guide average value of the vehicle itself, at which point a cash settlement is made. In those cases, the warranty is better than nothing, but it still provides a diminishing return. What's the Crossfire LPW state? I could see in another 10 years someone filing a claim with FCA and them saying you get NADA (so to speak) - which by then might be $2K.

Being a recent FCA cynic, I think they will pull the 'car is not worth the cost of repairs' (lifetime meaning some 'out-of-the-blue' time limit). And of course pretty soon a FCA water pump replacement will exceed that (given some of the invoices I have seen reported in the posts here). Never again will I hitch up to this failing company (until a top to bottom management replacement WITH HISTORY of better products/services realized)!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 341 Likes on 301 Posts

I agree with wanting to suspend the contaminants by running the engine until warm however my understanding about multi viscosity oil is, it is thinner when cold "0" and thicker when hot "40"? In the old days with straight 20, 30 or 40 weight it would get thinner when hot. That is why multi viscosity was developed.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I agree with wanting to suspend the contaminants by running the engine until warm however my understanding about multi viscosity oil is, it is thinner when cold "0" and thicker when hot "40"? In the old days with straight 20, 30 or 40 weight it would get thinner when hot. That is why multi viscosity was developed.
Our oil does get thinner when hot, thinner than when it is cold.
There was a post just the other day that explained it all very well, posted by Maxcichon click here to view it.
Find it and read it, there will be a test tomorrow morning after recess.
Save
Save

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-11-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

ANYONE who thinks that ANY oil gets thicker at high temperature should put an oil pressure gauge on their engine(s).

Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Your statement above is probably how most folks view a multi-grade oil. My dad did, for one. Actually, the multi-grade oil rating is an oil that has the properties of the lower weight oil in winter conditions (to provide improved engine protection) and the properties of the higher weight oil under normal operating conditions (to provide improved engine protection). Normal operating conditions for most cars is around 210F-220F, with proper cooling system functionality. That being said, it's an oil that has a "flatter" viscosity profile as operating temperature increases.

Dating myself somewhat, I remember "the good old days" when my dad ran a 30W oil during summer & a 20W oil during winter.

The video is really good!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-12-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the info, I guess non of us are ever to OLD to learn.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the info, I guess non of us are ever to OLD to learn.
Some of us are old enough to learn something having forgot that we learned it some years ago.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM

In my 72 years I'm sure I have forgotten more than I remember and am somewhat confused about the rest (LOL).

Old 07-12-2016, 03:25 PM

In my 72 years I'm sure I have forgotten more than I remember and am somewhat confused about the rest (LOL).

??? The only question I dare not ask, wait, what was I going to say? Dang-it! ???

Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does molasses get thinner the colder it gets?😃 couldn't resist I had to ask,

Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The video is really good!
I downloaded a couple of other videos from the same speaker. Actually, a good series of talks.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: Crossfire Oil Change

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
??? The only question I dare not ask, wait, what was I going to say? Dang-it! ???
Young whippersnapper. A mind is a terrible thing, how does that go, oh ah, to waste.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my car, a couple of months ago, the oil had just been changed by the dealer who sold the car. In the FSS display, I have a clock, wrench and -730 showing, which I discovered means the FSS wasn't reset. I have tried to reset it by using the instructions and I've had no luck. Can the dealer do it a different way or are there any other tricks to get it reset?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Natemo
When I bought my car, a couple of months ago, the oil had just been changed by the dealer who sold the car. In the FSS display, I have a clock, wrench and -730 showing, which I discovered means the FSS wasn't reset. I have tried to reset it by using the instructions and I've had no luck. Can the dealer do it a different way or are there any other tricks to get it reset?
Keep trying, it seems to take a few tries to succeed.
The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to do this, learn now and save money.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Oil Change