All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

This stinks and maybe it will help you

Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking This stinks and maybe it will help you

My headliner started separating this week and its been inside it whole life.

My car smells like crayons and on the way to the range with the windows open on an 88 degree day it smelled strongly at ((((( 60 (((((( miles per hour??? How with the car stored with the windows down and at speed it smells?

Headliner estimates are $375, 275, and $150 if I pull and replace the headliner............. So I pulled it - easy peasy dude, 5 minutes. THe smell is the glue in the headliner.

stored the headliner in the house and yes its crayons..... thus the reason its been so elusive. Ive power washed the carpets and inter trunk panels to no benefit. Problem it seems was just ABOVE MY NOSE.

this explains it and why it was so strong at head level, never smelled the floor mats, TAAAAA DAAAAAA

Iam going to recover for about $60 by doing it my self, seen utube and got enough info to do it now that it is out. Ill let you know how it goes, going for dark seat color as the light color is a distraction when really driving like autocross. Floor is black and seats grey, so going grey with online supplier that sells ROLLED material and high temp glue spray.

Remove the visors and light (2 screws) and garage door buttons ( pull down ) and then one screws on the rear L and R plastic upright panels in the trunk. Pull the 2 front pillar and rear pillar plastics down. In the rear there are plastic " rivets" one per side 3" inside the rear pillar supports . Pop that out and down it goes, then passenger seat forward and down so that the liner comes out the passenger door. I had to fight it and rotated it 90 degrees. Enjoy and Ill let you now how the recovering goes.

WDY

Last edited by waldig; 09-12-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: This stinks and maybe it will help you

Woody
I agree with your findings about the infamous crayon smell, as soon as I had my headliner replaced, no more crayon stench! If I had known that was the issue, I would have changed the headliner years ago! I had mine done by a shop, he did a great job, picked it up in 5 hours, perfect job, for $200.
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

Some years back someone was complaining of the crayon smell in his car and someone replied telling him if he wanted to get rid of the crayon smell he should date older girls.
Priceless.

I have never had the crayon smell in my car so possibly the headliner was replaced at some time.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

And maybe that's why not many ( if any ) roadster owners complain ?

Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Talking Re: This stinks and maybe it will help you

Here are my photos if the loading all works, WDY

https://www.crossfireforum.org/g/album/5832983

Old 09-03-2016, 10:08 PM

After I have cleaned off the liner, I washed off the material in lacquer thinner and painted the material in varnish to seal in the old smell and give a bit of strength to the cardboard like material. I think this will also increase the BASE for the glue to attach to. When I get it covered I will be adding more photos to show the process. Enjoy Woody

Old 09-05-2016, 04:18 PM

I have a video of my crossfire and headliner and such. If you are considering having it done, or doing it here is some information for you, I also have a few other videos that may be of interest - that Iam doing on the side. Enjoy, Woody

my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL0...Nz5JRMuvALDZ8w

Last edited by waldig; 09-05-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job and thanks

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM

Hi Woody,

Thanks for sharing the project. Mine started smelling and it just came off today. Was wondering what that smell was thanks for pin pointing it.

I got two questions. Which glue spray did you use and once you removed the foam what did you use to replace it? to give it that cushion feeling?

Originally Posted by waldig
I have a video of my crossfire and headliner and such. If you are considering having it done, or doing it here is some information for you, I also have a few other videos that may be of interest - that Iam doing on the side. Enjoy, Woody

Crossfire headliner and roof sound proofing - YouTube

my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL0...Nz5JRMuvALDZ8w

Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM

So I had the cloth all sagging and i couldn't drive like that. So i removed the headliner and cleaned the foam from the board and from the cloth and re-sprayed it back on using 3m super 77. LOL it looks horrible LOL but I had to go on a trip and didnt have time to get it professionally done or buy the replacement cloth. I am thinking of getting it done professionally as its very hard to put the cloth back on without having bubbles. I got one side nicely done but the other side i half assed it and it has bubble. I am just saying it can be done if you know what you are doing. Probably a 3 to 4 hour job. I find putting it from one side to another is easier and do small parts of 6 inches of cloth at time.

FYI the 2 pins in the back has two part to it. There a small pin which needs to be pulled out to release the lock and when putting back you need to keep the pin out and put the base in and then push the pin in. Wish I knew this before wasted tons of energy and time taking those off.

Last edited by ijaved; 08-10-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Doing the cloth requires that you lay it out, then fold it in half, glue 1/2 then add glue and fold over the other side. I did front and back in 1/2 , not side to side. I used glue supplied from the fabric supplier, and used a fair amount, so the I could lift and reposition it, not like contact glue which is place and its stuck forever.

Hope that it helps, Woody

Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 AM

I just did my headliner this week and am happy with the results. Could have done a better job on the sides but center looks perfect. Here are the supplies I used:

Auto Flat Knit Headliner Titanium

Ordered 3 yards, pretty sure I only used two but it's inexpensive so better safe than sorry. Nice padded material looks just like stock.

Amazon Amazon

I ordered two cans of this, really only needed one. Worked great.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM

On line suppliers have kits with the glue and fabric. I chose dark to make interior viewing easier. Woody

Old 09-02-2017, 08:18 AM

I took my headliner out and left it out. Yes, I needed the headroom. I am considering, however, replacing the whole affair with the self-adhesive insulating foam with reflective coating for those days when the car is in the sun.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Searching you should find my posting about the lowering of the seat as I was wearing a helmet for autocrossing and was seriously head butting the liner. Woody

Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Found it. Thanks!