All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Possible Battery Dead?

Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Battery Dead?

So over the past week or two my car has been starting slower and slower. I also left one of the tail lights on for 4 or so hours a few days ago. I guess I accidentally turned the switch too far left in my haste to get back to work. Have also been having the spoiler activate when turning the car on.

Did some searching around here on the forums and saw a thread relating to the spoiler being a bad battery. Took the battery out and had it checked by Oreily and they said it's still good, but in the last quarter of it's life. I think the sticker on it says 09. I'd check the manufacture date, but I'm at work currently and won't be able to get to battery until the morning.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any other opinions on what it could be if the battery checks out? Should I go ahead and just replace the battery anyway?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible Battery Dead?

Replace the battery.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisFire
So over the past week or two my car has been starting slower and slower. I also left one of the tail lights on for 4 or so hours a few days ago. I guess I accidentally turned the switch too far left in my haste to get back to work. Have also been having the spoiler activate when turning the car on.

Did some searching around here on the forums and saw a thread relating to the spoiler being a bad battery. Took the battery out and had it checked by Oreily and they said it's still good, but in the last quarter of it's life. I think the sticker on it says 09. I'd check the manufacture date, but I'm at work currently and won't be able to get to battery until the morning.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any other opinions on what it could be if the battery checks out? Should I go ahead and just replace the battery anyway?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You had the car at the dealers back in April after failing to solve the problem by asking questions here on the forum. You failed to come back and tell us what was done to solve the problem, maybe you figured that was not neccessary, but that is how a future problem could have been solved.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the battery.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You had the car at the dealers back in April after failing to solve the problem by asking questions here on the forum. You failed to come back and tell us what was done to solve the problem, maybe you figured that was not neccessary, but that is how a future problem could have been solved.
My apologies for not following up with that thread. That issue ended up being the SKREEM and the starter and a solenoid. Had it repaired are the dealer under my warranty. Is been running fine since those repairs. (Edit: Just put the details in first post of that thread. Sorry again for not following up.)

As for the new battery, is the EverStart Maxx a decent choice?

Last edited by KrisFire; 12-10-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 AM

I've been tinkering on cars over 45 years. I learned a while ago to never trust a battery over 5 years old.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:56 AM

Went over to WalMart after work and picked up the EverStart Maxx. Date code on the sticker was 12/16 and I couldn't find any imprints in the plastic other than "L6K" And two other letters after that I don't remember. Is that somehow the date code of manufacture or would there be another somewhere? That was on the top rim of battery opposite the negative terminal.

Went ahead and installed it and car fired up like a champ. That seems to have been the issue. I'll go pick up my old batter from Oreily tomorrow and turn it in to refund my core charge.

Going to have to look into the vents though. I installed the plug in the vent on the firewall side. For the other side, I'll have to call around to see if I can find one of the vent traps or a tube kit to vent it out. 90% sure that the old one has never had a vent but didn't look like the battery tray or under it had any corrosion.

Thanks so much for the help as usual.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisFire
Went over to WalMart after work and picked up the EverStart Maxx. Date code on the sticker was 12/16 and I couldn't find any imprints in the plastic other than "L6K" And two other letters after that I don't remember. Is that somehow the date code of manufacture or would there be another somewhere? That was on the top rim of battery opposite the negative terminal.

Went ahead and installed it and car fired up like a champ. That seems to have been the issue. I'll go pick up my old batter from Oreily tomorrow and turn it in to refund my core charge.

Going to have to look into the vents though. I installed the plug in the vent on the firewall side. For the other side, I'll have to call around to see if I can find one of the vent traps or a tube kit to vent it out. 90% sure that the old one has never had a vent but didn't look like the battery tray or under it had any corrosion.

Thanks so much for the help as usual.
I think you'll find that 12/16 was the time it was last recharged. There is a code of some kind for the manufacturing date, I'll look for it.
OK, L stands for the month so this was made in December, so A would stand forJanuary, the 6 stands for 2016. The K seemingly stands for who made it.
Your sticker means it was charged this month and probably for the first time, cogratulations as you got a really fresh battery, batteries on sale are often older batteries with some of the life gone when you buy it, I guess you pay for what you get.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-10-2016 at 08:53 AM.