All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Considering an '05 Coupe

Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an '05 Coupe

I went to see an 05 Coupe with 74K miles a few days ago. Seller was asking $5,600. Car looked okay, but nothing stellar.

Another buyer offered $5K; seller contacted me to ask if I would match, as I had seen the car first. I declined. Seller contacted me again yesterday to say that the deal fell through, and that she would entertain an offer at a lower price. I said I'd think about it.

Here are my concerns: The car is essentially sound, but it has some leaks here and there: valve covers, also underneath around the transmission (auto). The car needs brakes all around; needs a fog light, etc.

I'm thinking that I might offer in the the low fours. Does this sound reasonable? I guess my main worry is the trans leak. Any thoughts there? Is it safe to assume the leak is at the electrical connector?

Last edited by Et16; 01-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Considering an 05 Coupe

Originally Posted by Et16
I went to see an 05 Coupe with 74K miles a few days ago. Seller was asking $5,600. Car looked okay, but nothing stellar.

Another buyer offered $5K; seller contacted me to ask if I would match, as I had seen the car first. I declined. Seller contacted me again yesterday to say that the deal fell through, and that she would entertain an offer at a lower price. I said I'd think about it.

Here are my concerns: The car is essentially sound, but it has some leaks here and there: valve covers, also underneath around the transmission (auto). The car needs brakes all around; needs a fog light, etc.

I'm thinking that I might offer in the the low fours. Does this sound reasonable? I guess my main worry is the trans leak. Any thoughts there? Is it safe to assume the leak is at the electrical connector?

Get a carfax (or equiv) as a baseline, then have YOUR euro mechanic go over it with a detailed list of fixes/concerns (monies well spent). Run a KBB for trade/private sale and after all that information, make an offer based on the results. Also, see if the seller is a member and review their posts. Knowledge is powerful!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM

I've been a little surprised calling around to find a shop for a prepurchase inspection. Two Mercedes shops said that they don't work on Crossfires.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Et16
I've been a little surprised calling around to find a shop for a prepurchase inspection. Two Mercedes shops said that they don't work on Crossfires.
There's an active owners group in MD with a lot of experience. Maybe one of them could weigh in or know of a good indie shop to get the car inspected.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...yland-com.html

Old 01-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You would be hard to find any vechicle with age that the valve covers do no leak.
Brakes are easy to change yourself.
Since the brakes are worn, during test drive how does the pedal feel?
Is the brake nice and smooth or pulse like a warped rotor, that helps to know how the car has been driven.
I like a good set of cross drilled rotors, not sloted.
With the transmission leak, do you know where the leak is at?
Front and center could be a rear main seal leak and not the transmission which is common.
How is the steering?
Nice and tight, feel loose, at speeds does car want to wonder?
During drive did you hear any suspension bushing noise?
What is wrong with the fog light, from hitting something or the silver cap that is inside come loose?
How are the tires?
All seasons?
Are you planning on a daily driver year round?
Will it set winters and slick roads?
Any pics?
I think just valve cover leak and brakes are minor.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Default Re: Considering an '05 Coupe

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
You would be hard to find any vechicle with age that the valve covers do no leak.
Brakes are easy to change yourself.
Since the brakes are worn, during test drive how does the pedal feel?
Is the brake nice and smooth or pulse like a warped rotor, that helps to know how the car has been driven.
I like a good set of cross drilled rotors, not sloted.
With the transmission leak, do you know where the leak is at?
Front and center could be a rear main seal leak and not the transmission which is common.
How is the steering?
Nice and tight, feel loose, at speeds does car want to wonder?
During drive did you hear any suspension bushing noise?
What is wrong with the fog light, from hitting something or the silver cap that is inside come loose?
How are the tires?
All seasons?
Are you planning on a daily driver year round?
Will it set winters and slick roads?
Any pics?
I think just valve cover leak and brakes are minor.
The car drove well. I'm not sure about the trans leak. As you say, it could be a rear seal. How difficult are those to change?

The fog light is missing. The tire seem okay--all seasons.