All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

High mileage crossfires

Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High mileage crossfires

I'm happy to hear about many high mileage crossfires with no issues. To be honest I've driven mine very little because of paranoia. I hear so many people with issues I feel every time I drive it, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I'm gonna chill,and get behind the wheel from now on. I hope for years of trouble free driving. Not my primary car so it will be minimal miles anyhow.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: High mileage crossfires

Just bear in mind, it is like the news, what you read is the minority that have problems and not the majority that are fine. Most problems, if you have any, are relatively easy to repair on you own with info and help from this site. Your worst enemy is water in the trunk area. Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

People mainly only post problems.
I drive mine 2 - 6 hours sway from home every week, to work Sunday and home on Thursday.
I keep a ammo can in back with tools.
I did change water pump in hotel parking lot last summer.
Don't be scared it is a good car, bought mine with 50 k miles and have 138 k on it now.
How many miles away u plan on driving?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
People mainly only post problems.
I drive mine 2 - 6 hours sway from home every week, to work Sunday and home on Thursday.
I keep a ammo can in back with tools.
I did change water pump in hotel parking lot last summer.
Don't be scared it is a good car, bought mine with 50 k miles and have 138 k on it now.
How many miles away u plan on driving?
not many. just for fun. glad to hear about your luck. your right. no one talks about not having problems.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

No 'major' problems only minor things everyone has to do to their cars. Only problem I have (major) is FCA and their ROTTEN customer service/loyalty. Drive it!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: High mileage crossfires

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
No 'major' problems only minor things everyone has to do to their cars. Only problem I have (major) is FCA and their ROTTEN customer service/loyalty. Drive it!

I second that, second week I owned mine, they wanted $1800 to fix sticky key ignition problem. Had them do the labor, I supplied the parts, Saved $900. Have completely new ignition system. Any other problems, I have taken care of it myself, thanks to this list and the great guys on it. But my car will never see the inside of FCA garage again. Learn my lesson the expensive way.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

My 2007 XFire doesn't rank as a high mileage car, with only 18k on the ODO. Wife & I bought the car for a "weekender" to take trips to nearby venues (4-5 hour drives) during a month. Turns out we don't even do that as often as we originally planned. But I'm not afraid to get in the car & go anywhere in it. We've taken several long trips (CAA-01 & CAA-06) and plan to take it to CAA-08 later this year.

But I have had the 'Mystery No Start - RCM Repair" occur on the car. Fortunately for me, the car acted up when it was sitting in my driveway. So I haven't been stranded on the road anywhere, and if I ever am, here's hoping I'm somewhere around town locally so as not to be too inconvenienced.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ones with issues tend to be low mileage cars that sit in the garage. Cars arent meant to sit in my opinion and yes if I could afford an exotic (lambo, ferrari, etc) i'd drive the crap out of it too.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by philosophico
Ones with issues tend to be low mileage cars that sit in the garage. Cars arent meant to sit in my opinion and yes if I could afford an exotic (lambo, ferrari, etc) i'd drive the crap out of it too.
Well I guess you are trying to up the value of your high mileage car with that statement.

Component weaknesses are found when a component has had considerable use and sooner if it is prone to early failure due to poor manufacturing like the poor soldering on the RCM.

I think that use and abuse causes parts to wear and fail, not sitting in the garage with less use than a high miler.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Just bear in mind, it is like the news, what you read is the minority that have problems and not the majority that are fine. Most problems, if you have any, are relatively easy to repair on you own with info and help from this site. Your worst enemy is water in the trunk area. Enjoy the ride.

Ditto. Our's was daily driver for 10 years, only running issues then were crank pos. sensor & relay control module. Inexpensive fixes (diy) for time of ownership.
Roadster back glass a different issue as an extremely common manufacturing defect.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I worry more about holing one of the low profile tires than an engine issue. The SLK320 was a pretty solid vehicle. I've driven it Michigan-to-Florida and MI-to-CT a couple times. I used to drive it weekly across MI. It's "only" at 56k miles but other than doing routine and preventive maintenance, it (the roadster) is a reliable car so far. It's pretty much the same for the SRT6, but I am not motivated to drive it as far due to stiffer ride and gas mileage, but I probably run it around town and for Sunday country drives more often.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM
wap
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the shop last week and the mechanic had a 2004 SLK320 in the bay with 245,000 miles on it. He claimed that this car has not had any major problems. Just the normal routine maintenance and service stuff. I hope I can get similar results out of my Crossfire, only 60,000 miles right now.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by triplmmm
I hear so many people with issues I feel every time I drive it, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I know the feeling. However, as others have said, the posts on this site only reflect owners who've had problems, so you get a biased view of what the car is like. When I bought my pristine '04 coupe four years ago with only 28,000 miles, I figured I had a new car. Then the famous Crossfire gremlins appeared one after another... aux fan, RCM, sticky key, electro-hydraulic plate (trans went into limp mode), leaky trans plug, fallen headliner etc. I had them all. These problems could have resulted from the car not being driven for five years by the previous owner. However, with the help of this forum I actually enjoyed working on the car and getting everything fixed with minimal expense. It's never been to a commercial garage (except for safety inspections). The car's been running great for the last three years and I trust it implicitly. A Crossfire isn't for everyone. It works best for mechanically inclined enthusiasts who enjoy a somewhat rare vehicle and like the satisfaction of solving problems themselves (and saving money!). I wouldn't own a Crossfire if I had to depend on the dealer to take care of it.

Last edited by crymar; 02-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

VERY WELL SAID!

Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Thanks all. I store winters here in Ohio, so it's really just a summer car. Even then driven rarely. I'll drive it without worry from now on. I'm mechanically inclined enough that I think I can handle any issues that come up.. I've had my share of sports cars, but no way can you buy a performance car like these for so little money.. Not to mention the styling on these seems to never go out of style.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 AM

I've got almost 200,000 on my Crossfire

About to hit 200,000 miles