All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by Padgett
Thought it important to comply particularly given the nature of the failure (metal shard projected) & have been fatalities. Did not expect to have them create a trouble light (airbag) that was not there before and want $800 to fix (manager deal).

What bothers me more is the questionable statements that are made:
1) Possibly bogus trouble code (CT1322A) C-Chassis. All air bag codes I found are B codes (body) or U - communications.
2) Knowing the date (12 January) code was set (does the Crossie know what day it is ? Does history list how long ago ?)
3) Saying the airbag module is "under the hood" so could not have been disturbed. (is in console).
4) My aftermarket Clarion radio never lost its time or presets (first instruction any time working on air bag is to remove the negative battery terminal).

All is making me wonder. A Lot. But air bags are not really my field so wanted to ask the experts here. Do feel safer with an inop air bag than a dangerous one.
I think your item #4 indicates that the battery was not disconnected.
The airbag module is on the transmission tunnel in front of the shifter as you say.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you. At this point gathering information but wondering if I should contact the dealer service manager first or go directly to Chrysler Cares.

Am particularly bothered that these reasons were used to justify saying I had to spend $800 for a "air bag module".

Last edited by Padgett; 02-15-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 PM

Thank you. At this point gathering information but wondering if I should contact the dealer service manager first or go directly to Chrysler Cares.

Am particularly bothered that these reasons were used to justify saying I had to spend $800 for a "air bag module".
Go straight to customer service, make a complaint about their poor service, and attempted fraud and go from there.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Go straight to customer service, make a complaint about their poor service, and attempted fraud and go from there.

Thank you but do you mean the dealer customer service or Chrysler ?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Thank you but do you mean the dealer customer service or Chrysler ?
Chrysler, I would not go anywhere near that dealer again.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Chrysler, I would not go anywhere near that dealer again.
philsophico, in a post titled "airbag warning light", stated he replaced that module for $50. It paired up with no problems. In the same post another gent ,tried the same thing, an was told by the dealer , even though he replaced his ,with the same part number module, it had an extra feature, being a keyed switch, for the airbag off feature. I didn't know that was an option. For $50 ,I think I would be replacing that myself or calling a friend to assist. That's just my $.02.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 AM

Replacing it myself is Plan C. Plan B being Chrysler Cares.

Tomorrow I plan to talk to either the Service Manager or the General Manager about this screwup and while I will accept incompetence rather than lying as a reason, I would like to know how they can say the "airbag module" (Chrysler: Occupant Restraint Controller aka ORC ?) is bad when they do not know where it is ? Also when the first and critical safety requirement is to disconnect the battery, how did my Clarion radio retain the clock and station presets ?

"WARNING:On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, driver airbag, passenger airbag, front impact sensor, side impact sensor, side impact airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury."
I happen to have the '07 Crossfire Factory Service Manual...

It also says that a new ORC must be programmed by the dealer. However I suspect that one removed from a running junked car would be plug and play. Anyone have a spare they would care to sell ?
MODULE, Air Bag Control 05099301AA
Fits (with passenger side switch)
Chrysler Crossfire 3.2L V6 SOHC 18 Valve, 6-Speed Manual Limited Coupe
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (and a lot of others)

ps mine has a switch for the passenger side airbag in the passenger doorjamb.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-16-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems you have a plan ; now.... initiate , give'em the devil...lol.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Anyone have a spare they would care to sell ?
MODULE, Air Bag Control 05099301AA
OMG !!! I did a quick Google, the CHEAPEST one was $1,500
Junkyard time, maybe they won't know what to charge, but I doubt it.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received mine in the mail yesterday as well (2007 Roadster).

Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 AM

Since was told it is under the hood, who nose.

BTW I just found out that the Clarion does keep its presets through a long power outage and the negative battery terminal was loose so suspect they did pull power.

Do know that over 100 people have looked at my question on a Jeep forum and none have responded about hearing of a CT1322A code.

Waiting till after 9am then going back & talk to the service manager, The preset finding is why I do not just act.

More later.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
philsophico, in a post titled "airbag warning light", stated he replaced that module for $50. It paired up with no problems. In the same post another gent ,tried the same thing, an was told by the dealer , even though he replaced his ,with the same part number module, it had an extra feature, being a keyed switch, for the airbag off feature. I didn't know that was an option. For $50 ,I think I would be replacing that myself or calling a friend to assist. That's just my $.02.
Open your passenger door and look at the end of the dash not seen when the door is closed. You will see the keyed switch, every Crossfire has one and it is used to turn the passenger air bag of when a child seat is used, maybe just the rear facing seat - check that statement.
Dealers lie all the time and some get what they are told mixed up because they do not know too much about cars.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got back from the dealership (Olathe Dodge Chrysler Jeep) for my airbag replacement. They said my airbag module also needed to be replaced and that it would be covered under the recall (I specifically asked about it after reading Padgett's post last night). The dealership did not have one in stock so one has been ordered and is supposed to arrive on Feb. 22.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Don: could you ask what trouble code or symptom led them to the module ? I was told it was a failure to communicate and a code CT1322A but that I would need to pay for it. Any help or a POC at your dealer would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Don: could you ask what trouble code or symptom led them to the module ? I was told it was a failure to communicate and a code CT1322A but that I would need to pay for it. Any help or a POC at your dealer would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my airbag inflator replaced this morning. It took less than an hour.
After 8 years I am now "safe" if the airbag deploys.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Thought it important to comply particularly given the nature of the failure (metal shard projected) & have been fatalities. Did not expect to have them create a trouble light (airbag) that was not there before and want $800 to fix (manager deal).

What bothers me more is the questionable statements that are made:
1) Possibly bogus trouble code (CT1322A) C-Chassis. All air bag codes I found are B codes (body) or U - communications.
2) Knowing the date (12 January) code was set (does the Crossie know what day it is ? Does history list how long ago ?)
3) Saying the airbag module is "under the hood" so could not have been disturbed. (is in console).
4) My aftermarket Clarion radio never lost its time or presets (first instruction any time working on air bag is to remove the negative battery terminal).

All is making me wonder. A Lot. But air bags are not really my field so wanted to ask the experts here. Do feel safer with an inop air bag than a dangerous one.

SUCKS!

Originally Posted by eikon
Just got my airbag inflator replaced this morning. It took less than an hour.
After 8 years I am now "safe" if the airbag deploys.

Here is the answer you should believe, nothing easier to do here!

GO RIGHT TO THE DEALER OWNER and also Chrysler airbag hotline!

Old 02-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

How many different sizes of 'air bag' screws for the steering wheel (the two) are there? BTW, I looked into the two 'holes' behind the wheel, and the two holes did not end with any 'screw head' (torx, Phillips, flat, allen), so is there a 'plug' or what that is covering the screw heads?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
How many different sizes of 'air bag' screws for the steering wheel (the two) are there? BTW, I looked into the two 'holes' behind the wheel, and the two holes did not end with any 'screw head' (torx, Phillips, flat, allen), so is there a 'plug' or what that is covering the screw heads?

This has come up a number of times and they are Torz screws, #30 to be precise. Do not use any other size a smaller size does fit but if it is a bit loose the socket gets damaged and the correct bit will not fit. There is a post where a member swore up, down and sideways that they were some smaller size, a while later he was wondering if he was going to have to drill out the screw head.
With all these Phillips, Torz and Allen screws the correct size bit is essential.
Torz and Phillips bits should wedge into the socket in the screw head and be able to hold the screw of reasonable size screw down with the bit vertical. That is the essential part of their design, ease of use on the assembly line. The screw stays on the bit while being inserted in the hole.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The screw stays on the bit while being inserted in the hole.
Thanks Dave, so THAT'S what I have been doing wrong all this time ........