All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Takata pleaded guilty to fraud in the air bag scandal today in Federal court. They agreed to pay $1 billion for a scheme to conceal a deadly defect of its air bag inflators. Takata admitted to hiding problems that can cause inflators to explode with too much force, hurling schrapnel into drivers & passengers. Article said that U.S. prosecutors are still seeking extradition of three former Takata executives from Japan to face criminal charges.

Takata agreed to pay $850 million in restitution to automakers, $125 million to victims and families, and a $25 million criminal fine. They still face dozens of consumer & state lawsuits that could run into millions of dollars.

Got 'em!!!!! They'll go bankrupt now.

Ditto on this post about hoping I got a replacement with the moisture absorbent in it!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Confirmed today my 08 has T30 screws (2 total) in the back of the air bag (steering wheel). Brand new craftsman T30 and T27 screwdrivers tried T30 first, super tight. Then tried the T27 and it was ever so slightly loose in the screw head. Am going to purchase a set of Torx allen keys for the hard to reach Torx screws in the car wherever they may be installed. I already have a set mounted in a 'flip open' 'pocket knife' type tool now BUT they are too shallow for the deeper holes where the two screws in the back of the steering wheel are.

Does anyone who has gone through the air bag replacement know IF they are using any sort of 'threadlock' on the screws upon reinstallation? Even though the T30 was a tight fit in the screw head, it would not budge (yes, I was turning it the right direction). The 'tech' who replaced mine must have used quite a bit more than 71 inch pounds to tighten them back up that's for sure!

If interested, I got quite a decent set (32 bits) of security 6" long 1/4 hex bits off fleabay under 16 bucks (purchased Sunday three days ago, seller in Washington State) and received them today (free shipping). The auction is ( Extra Long 6" Security Bit | 32pc Set Tamper Proof Hex Torx Star Pozi Tri Wing | eBay ), not a bad price, and yes the Torx 30 fit the steering wheel Torx screws perfectly. All that is needed is a 1/4" drive and 1/4" 6 point socket (with steering wheel fully extended and turned slightly to clear stalks).

Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

Thanks for passing along the info.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Amazon Amazon
Here's another possibility for a set of extra long Torx Bits (if Torx bits is all you're looking for, like I was). I found these on Amazon and used AmEx points to pay for the order. So the set didn't cost me any out of pocket cash. Set comes with the following sizes: T8, T10, T15, T20 ,T25, T27, T30, T40, T45, T50.

GearWrench 80588 10-Piece Long Torx Bit Set (T8 - T50)

If you go to the GearWrench website (www.gearwrench.com), you'll find this set is sold at many of the local auto parts houses (i.e., Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-02-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Any chance we can combine some of these airbag threads ? Think we are up to four now.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80.../dp/B001M0O18YHere's another possibility for a set of extra long Torx Bits (if Torx bits is all you're looking for, like I was). I found these on Amazon and used AmEx points to pay for the order. So the set didn't cost me any out of pocket cash. Set comes with the following sizes: T8, T10, T15, T20 ,T25, T27, T30, T40, T45, T50.

GearWrench 80588 10-Piece Long Torx Bit Set (T8 - T50)

If you go to the GearWrench website (www.gearwrench.com), you'll find this set is sold at many of the local auto parts houses (i.e., Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.)

GREAT price you got on those!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Yeah - Free (sort of - I did have to use AmEx points) but set only had the Torx bits I was looking for. I liked the set you highlighted but didn't really think the other bits would serve me any good. I'll probably regret that decision. Anyway, with Amazon Prime, the set I ordered is suppose to be delivered on Friday.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just scheduled with the dealer. He was reluctant at first, then called back to say they could do it. Said they are no longer going to work on Crossfires and referred me to the Mercedes dealer.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Unhappy Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Took my 2008 roadster in to the local Chrysler dealer (large dealer in a major city) for the airbag recall yesterday morning. In the early afternoon got a call asking if the airbag light had been on before I brought the car in. Told them "no" and that there were no issues or symptoms besides the recall itself. Got another call late in the afternoon saying that they wanted to keep the car overnight "to see if the airbag light goes off". Based on prior messages in this thread, beginning to wonder if they botched the procedure and do not have the correct tool to reset the light. Checked back with them this morning and all the service advisor could say was that they had their shop foreman working on it and had no new information yet. I'll post again later when they sort it all out for the benefit of other owners planning to get this done.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioJoe
Just scheduled with the dealer. He was reluctant at first, then called back to say they could do it. Said they are no longer going to work on Crossfires and referred me to the Mercedes dealer.
Go to a Mercedes dealer and they will probably give you the bums rush or somewhat more politely tell you to go to a Chrysler dealer and please shut the door on the way out.
No good will to be found in the Mercedes/Chrysler relationship.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnM55
Took my 2008 roadster in to the local Chrysler dealer (large dealer in a major city) for the airbag recall yesterday morning. In the early afternoon got a call asking if the airbag light had been on before I brought the car in. Told them "no" and that there were no issues or symptoms besides the recall itself. Got another call late in the afternoon saying that they wanted to keep the car overnight "to see if the airbag light goes off". Based on prior messages in this thread, beginning to wonder if they botched the procedure and do not have the correct tool to reset the light. Checked back with them this morning and all the service advisor could say was that they had their shop foreman working on it and had no new information yet. I'll post again later when they sort it all out for the benefit of other owners planning to get this done.
The common reason this happens is when the battery is not disconnected before the bag is removed and replaced, it would also go on if the bag was out while the battery was reconnected. They screwed up for sure. Many here have removed the drivers air bag and then reconnected it no problem. They have to reset it with their computer if they have the correct one. They will need the Crossfire module to do it though and that may be the problem.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The common reason this happens is when the battery is not disconnected before the bag is removed and replaced, it would also go on if the bag was out while the battery was reconnected. They screwed up for sure. Many here have removed the drivers air bag and then reconnected it no problem. They have to reset it with their computer if they have the correct one. They will need the Crossfire module to do it though and that may be the problem.
Thanks for that info. Ironically, I have the Carsoft i980 scan tool for Mercedes that I have used to check ABS module codes on the Crossfire. It claims to be able to view and reset SRS/airbag codes as well. But I want the dealer to finish the job so that the recall repair is on record as being completed by the dealer. I hope that does not take too long though. On your other post about the Mercedes dealers, yeah, our local Mercedes dealer just says NO emphatically when you ask if they will work on the Crossfire.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting, on Amazon the answer was no but the English was strained. Is this incorrect ?

Does this perform all functions including reset airbag and check engine for 2005 crossfire srt?
asked by Jay on August 27, 2016

1 - Did nötig work on the crossfire
2 - Sorry about late answer Regarding your question we had to confirm with iCarsoft tech support and following is their answer. iCarsoft i980 Not support Chrysler this scanner specifically made Mercedes BUT iCarsoft has scanner called iCarsoft CR-PLUS which cover over 40 different brand.

Note also that after 2005 the Canbus operation changed (why they needed a Star tool to reset mine).

Is a relatively low cost answer but need to know it works.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Interesting, on Amazon the answer was no but the English was strained. Is this incorrect ?

Does this perform all functions including reset airbag and check engine for 2005 crossfire srt?
asked by Jay on August 27, 2016

1 - Did nötig work on the crossfire
2 - Sorry about late answer Regarding your question we had to confirm with iCarsoft tech support and following is their answer. iCarsoft i980 Not support Chrysler this scanner specifically made Mercedes BUT iCarsoft has scanner called iCarsoft CR-PLUS which cover over 40 different brand.

Note also that after 2005 the Canbus operation changed (why they needed a Star tool to reset mine).

Is a relatively low cost answer but need to know it works.
The Mercedes version of the iCarsoft i980 I purchased a couple years ago works fine on my 2008 Crossfire. Have to set it to the equivalent Mercedes Platform (R170 as I recall). I've used it to read engine codes, ABS codes and to check for any errors on other systems (transmission and body as I recall). It advertises being able to read and reset airbag codes on the Mercedes but I've never tried that feature on the Crossfire.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 PM

You might consider filing a complaint with FCA Recall website on this repair. FCA needs to know that their dealer network out there isn't totally qualified to make this repair without causing another issue. FCA is going to have to provide detailed instructions for performing this task (they may already do this) and clobber the dealers that don't follow that procedure creating more issues and/or work.

For those that have encountered this issue, might be worth filing a complaint on the Federal Recall website (NHTSA) so the Feds know various FCA dealers are doing this but creating other system faults that could lead to a malfunction. It is sort of a big deal if the Supplemental Restraint System isn't going to function properly after this recall repair!

I don't have any patience when it comes to incompetence from a dealer service department!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-09-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by OhioJoe
I don't know if an FCA dealer can take this positon with this particular recall. I'm betting they have to perform this recall repair. Wouldn't the FEDS be interested to learn that an FCA authorized dealer refused to work on the Crossfire to repair & correct a known safety defect! I'd do whatever was within my legal options to lower a boom on that dealer & FCA!

I got my Crossfire taken care of by using a reputable local dealer that had experienced technicians familiar with the Crossfire. And FCA wanted me to take it to another dealer that was closer but I refused. I told the FCA Recall Scheduler that the dealer she was selecting had no experience selling these cars and, most likely, little or no experience working on these cars.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The common reason this happens is when the battery is not disconnected before the bag is removed and replaced; it would also go on if the bag was out when the battery was reconnected. They screwed up for sure. Many here have removed the drivers air bag and then reconnected it no problem. They have to reset it with their computer if they have the correct one. They will need the Crossfire module to do it though and that may be the problem.
EXACTLY! It's clobbering time!

Sorry for the rants in my last few posts. But this issue really sets me off! Wait all that time for replacement parts and they still can't do the job right!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Dealer's service advisor called this afternoon. Said they would need the car for another day. Confirmed they were locating/acquiring a tool to reset the airbag warning light. And so ends day 2 of the airbag replacement saga. At least he offered to keep her inside so she would not be out in the elements.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Dealer's service advisor called this afternoon. Said they would need the car for another day. Confirmed they were locating/acquiring a tool to reset the airbag warning light. And so ends day 2 of the airbag replacement saga. At least he offered to keep her inside so she would not be out in the elements.

IMMEDIATELY start a case with FCA/Chrysler! Typical incompetence and lack of training on that service department. All they had to do was disconnect NEG, wait 2 minutes, take out airbag, replace module, and reinstall. The problem (I suspect) comes when they do that 'required' SRS verification WITHOUT the proper tools (electronic cards/program). IF the SRS system was not 'triggered' (ie an accident or deployment), then that last (unnecessary) step IS NOT NECCESSARY! Check out how many XF members have removed/changed/replaced (with a MB wheel cover or the paddle shifter) without problems! IT IS ON THEIR DIME when they screw your car up!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM

The Mercedes version of the iCarsoft i980 I purchased a couple years ago works fine on my 2008 Crossfire. Have to set it to the equivalent Mercedes Platform (R170 as I recall). I've used it to read engine codes, ABS codes and to check for any errors on other systems (transmission and body as I recall). It advertises being able to read and reset airbag codes on the Mercedes but I've never tried that feature on the Crossfire.
This looks really promising as an overall OBDII code scanner and specifically a M-B diagnostic tool for checking nearly every system, including SRS codes. And only $160 on eBay. Not bad at all, if it really does everything claimed.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-14-2017 at 08:16 AM.