All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Airbag Recall Parts In

Just got a mailer from FCA advising to schedule an appt to have the inflator repaired on my '07. States repair will take an hour.
Anyone else get this notification yet?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

Hope my notice arrives soon. Anxious to get this recall/repair over & done with.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

07's in the south will (should) be done first, then the next declared risk factor, then the 08's in the south, then the rest in the zones that are listed for the risks involved due to extreme heat/humidity. I sure hope mine gets done soon as well. Light at the end of the tunnel? In my opinion, FCA should have made this possible long before now for the ones that have been declared most likely to fail catastrophically.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
07's in the south will (should) be done first, then the next declared risk factor, then the 08's in the south, then the rest in the zones that are listed for the risks involved due to extreme heat/humidity. I sure hope mine gets done soon as well. Light at the end of the tunnel? In my opinion, FCA should have made this possible long before now for the ones that have been declared most likely to fail catastrophically.

You should have complained some.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Two relatives of mine drive Honda CRVs. When they went in for the airbag recall they would not let them drive their cars home. They gave them a rental or loaner. One took over 4 months to get their car back and the other 7 months waiting on parts. Be glad they didn't take it hostage while waiting for parts.

James

Old 02-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Received the Recall/Repair notice from FCA in today's mail. Notice clearly states that you either:

1) Call your local CDJR dealership to schedule the repair
2) Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center so an agent can confirm part availability & schedule an appointment for the repair.
3) Visit their Recall Website and see all the available scheduling options

I would imagine that if any of us just drive up to the dealership & request the repair, the dealer could keep the car until the correct part arrived. Reduces any ongoing exposure and/or liability to FCA until the repair is completed. And as James1549 pointed out earlier, provide a loaner to drive until repair was completed. No dealer is going to keep my Crossfire overnight or longer waiting on a part.

As for me, I'll call ahead & schedule the repair per Point #2 above. I want the dealer to have the correct airbag (several colors are required to fulfill this recall) in stock so when I show up it really can be repaired while I wait. No dealer is going to keep a bunch of different colored airbags in their inventory to fulfill this recall. They will order parts as needed; when needed.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-11-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my notice for my 2008. Have to call the dealership to see if they have the parts and make an appointment.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gang,

What about the 2004s?

P

Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

MY '06-'08 are on the recall list, so no worries for MY04 & MY '05, I believe the have TRW airbags.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM

The 2006 model year may not be part of this recall. I seem to remember it only including 2007 & 2008 models. If I'm incorrect on this, someone chime in.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ... Just spoke with Chrysler. No recall on the 2004 year models.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The 2006 model year may not be part of this recall. I seem to remember it only including 2007 & 2008 models. If I'm incorrect on this, someone chime in.
Consumer Affairs website states "2006-2007 Chrysler Crossfire vehicles" but not 2008. Did they get it wong?
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ue-021616.html

Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I received my recall notice on Friday for my 2008 roadster.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Just got off the phone with FCA Recall Assistance Center (1-800-853-1403). An agent by the name Sarah assisted with scheduling the driver-side airbag recall/repair on my 2007 Coupe. She identified 2 dealers near me, the closest being Big O CDJR on the south side of Greenville. I told her that this dealership never sold Crossfires, having inherited the Chrysler Jeep dealership when Chrysler consolidated several years ago. I requested that this dealership not perform the work.

She then identified Benson CDJR on the northern side of Greenville and asked if that dealership was acceptable. I said yes - they originally sold Crossfires and would be more familiar with servicing the vehicle. (Hope my assumption holds true!)

She then placed me on hold to confirm part availability and connected me with the Service Desk at Benson CDJR. Once Sarah (Sarah #1) released me, another Sarah (Sarah #2) at Benson discussed an appointment to have the airbag replaced. She confirmed that she had already talked with Parts Department and confirmed that replacement parts were available & in inventory at nearest parts center (Atlanta, GA). We selected a service date & time (02/22 @ 0830), as she indicated that they were scheduling these recall appointments about a week out. Sarah #2 told me that she would be entering the service work order today and the parts needed would be ordered from Atlanta facility. Parts Dept indicated a next day delivery. Sarah #2 also confirmed that I could wait on the car - repair would take only about an hour.

So, as long as Benson doesn't misplace the airbag ordered for my car, looks like next week I'll have this process behind me. All in all, a good experience thus far.

I recommend everyone having to do this to contact that FCA Recall Assistance Center. This is Chrysler's issue - they should play a major role in getting it scheduled for repair.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You should have complained some.

Too funny dave! I did complain, and they did NOTHING. Anyway, I got my letter today, stopped by the dealership, what a screwed up system! The service guy looked at the letter, asked me if I had the part (DUMB). Then he said something to the effect this is new (again DUMB). I told him this fiasco has been going on for 1 1/2 years. Told him the notice to ME was 10 months ago, and told him the letter he read says to come down and schedule the work (one of the three options). So he excuses himself, goes to the parts dept, and comes out to tell me there are no 'bags' there for me (DUH). Talking further (without throwing something) I say he has to order the part if one is not there with my name on it. He goes back to parts dept, and comes back again telling me they ordered it from Atlanta GA, and it'll be in tomorrow or Wednesday latest. Their XF tech (technically NOT an XF tech) says it should take under an hour (has worked on them before) and that it is super simple. After I got their attention and the 'bag' ordered, I asked the guy who took those two trips to the parts dept, if the 'bag' assembly was the correct trim color. He tells me the trim all around the 'bag' would be pulled and placed on the replacement bare 'bag'. Now I'm not the smartest marble in the bag by a longshot, BUT my research showed the airbag part number is ordered by the interior trim codes for the year of the vehicle. Interesting to see if they (takata/MB/FCA) have developed a procedure to remove the 'bag' and it being a totally different part number than say, if WE went to buy one over the counter. Anyway, I will TRY to watch the tech when they work on my XF, to see if the 'bag' is just a bag, or if it IS the corrct part matched according to the trim (with trim included). IF the part is just the 'bag' module and not the complete assembly, I'll ask for that 'instruction' sheet (since they only require the airbag returned, as a rule, for recalls). We are getting closer! I am at a loss WHY they are sending letters out to ALL the zones? Maybe there are such a low number, that they produced (Takata or sub contractors) the entire batch of 07/08 bags for ALL zones (one time purchase).

About the years covered in the recall. The NHTSA website codes the 07/08 MODEL years by the VIN milestone. Those cars are the correct ones to be fixed. All the other 'references' and stories abound are not to be utilized UNLESS NHTSA codes them by the VIN. Much of the MANY .pdf's in the case files posted on the NHTSA website does reference the 06/07 BUT I believe there is a miscommunication of the YEAR BUILT vs the MODEL YEAR of the recalled cars. The 07's (by far) were built in 06, the 08's were built in 07. This is purely a guess on my part because no one wants to tell us owners anything (you MUST check YOUR VIN on the NHTSA website). All you recalled XF owners, GOOD LUCK (we'll need it).

Old 02-13-2017, 05:50 PM

After I got their attention and the 'bag' ordered, I asked the guy who took those two trips to the parts dept, if the 'bag' assembly was the correct trim color. He tells me the trim all around the 'bag' would be pulled and placed on the replacement bare 'bag'. Now I'm not the smartest marble in the bag by a longshot, BUT my research showed the airbag part number is ordered by the interior trim codes for the year of the vehicle. Interesting to see if they (takata/MB/FCA) have developed a procedure to remove the 'bag' and it being a totally different part number than say, if WE went to buy one over the counter. Anyway, I will TRY to watch the tech when they work on my XF, to see if the 'bag' is just a bag, or if it IS the correct part matched according to the trim (with trim included). IF the part is just the 'bag' module and not the complete assembly, I'll ask for that 'instruction' sheet (since they only require the airbag returned, as a rule, for recalls).
For those that want to know the Interior Color Code for their respective Crossfire, I've attached a "Snip-It" listing the codes used by Daimler-Chrysler.

A point to remember - If your 2008 Model had the 2-tone interior that was Dark Slate Gray & Vanilla, you may have a steering wheel that is Dark Slate Gray; not Vanilla. Quite a few of the last of the production run with that 2-tone interior had that configuration.

Good luck to everyone. Later,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XFire Color Codes_Interior.JPG (29.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Too funny dave! I did complain, and they did NOTHING. Anyway, I got my letter today, stopped by the dealership, what a screwed up system! The service guy looked at the letter, asked me if I had the part (DUMB). Then he said something to the effect this is new (again DUMB). I told him this fiasco has been going on for 1 1/2 years. Told him the notice to ME was 10 months ago, and told him the letter he read says to come down and schedule the work (one of the three options). So he excuses himself, goes to the parts dept, and comes out to tell me there are no 'bags' there for me (DUH). Talking further (without throwing something) I say he has to order the part if one is not there with my name on it. He goes back to parts dept, and comes back again telling me they ordered it from Atlanta GA, and it'll be in tomorrow or Wednesday latest. Their XF tech (technically NOT an XF tech) says it should take under an hour (has worked on them before) and that it is super simple. After I got their attention and the 'bag' ordered, I asked the guy who took those two trips to the parts dept, if the 'bag' assembly was the correct trim color. He tells me the trim all around the 'bag' would be pulled and placed on the replacement bare 'bag'. Now I'm not the smartest marble in the bag by a longshot, BUT my research showed the airbag part number is ordered by the interior trim codes for the year of the vehicle. Interesting to see if they (takata/MB/FCA) have developed a procedure to remove the 'bag' and it being a totally different part number than say, if WE went to buy one over the counter. Anyway, I will TRY to watch the tech when they work on my XF, to see if the 'bag' is just a bag, or if it IS the corrct part matched according to the trim (with trim included). IF the part is just the 'bag' module and not the complete assembly, I'll ask for that 'instruction' sheet (since they only require the airbag returned, as a rule, for recalls). We are getting closer! I am at a loss WHY they are sending letters out to ALL the zones? Maybe there are such a low number, that they produced (Takata or sub contractors) the entire batch of 07/08 bags for ALL zones (one time purchase).
Maybe I am giving Chrysler more credit than what is due but if they know your name and that you have Crossfire of a certain year then in their computer it should have details that specify the colors.
The VIN will have all these details, service performed at Chrysler shops etc.
A part ordered for your car should be the correct color.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Received the letter Saturday....first letter was about a year ago....called Olathe, Kansas dealership today....part is in....have appointment tomorrow at 9:00 am.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting. None here but then according to NHSA the problem is more prevalent in hot moist climates so makes sense Kansas would get the fix before Florida.