All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

My Airbag recall fiasco..

Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Airbag recall fiasco..

So after a few weeks, I finally got my car back after I brought it in to have the airbag recall done. What should have taken 30 minutes turned out to be weeks long..

Feb-13: I received the letter notifying me that the air bags are now available for the recall. I called the dealer to verify the airbag is in stock and made appointment for the 17th.

Feb-17: Took day off to bring my car into the dealer for the recall. Was informed that they do not have air bag in stock. I told them I had a confirmation that the air bag was in stock hence they made the appointment for me. They said sorry, no air bag in stock and will take about a week or so to get parts. Frustrating to say the least.

Feb-27: Got call saying air bag is in stock. Made appointment for Mar-1.

Mar-1: Brought my car in. Service tech said the actual work should take about 30 minutes but won't be able to get to it for a few hours. I said no problem, as I am just dropping the car off and they can get to it when they can. Around 5:00, I called to see if I can pick up the car. Service advisor informed me that its not ready. I asked why and he said they don't have the tools to remove the air bag. Apparently the Crossfire requires a specific tool to remove and install the air bag. WTF? I said okay, so when will it be done. he said they don't have ETA, as they have to source the tool.

Mar-3: No calls for two days, so I called to check. They said still no tool.

Mar-6: I called to check, he said they should get the tools that day.

Mar-7: I called to check, he said they got the tool, but after they install the air bag, the air bag light is on and they needed to reprogram the car to accept the new air bag. Unfortunately, they don't have the software nor the interface tool to reprogram it. I asked when they will have it, he said they don't know and that they are trying to source it. He said it would be a few days. I said no problem, as I was taking the kids on vacation for Spring break.

Mar-17: I called and left a voice mail for status check. No answer.

Mar-18: I called again for a status. My Service advisor wasn't in so left another voice mail.

Mar-21: Got a call from the service advisor. They still don't have the software nor interface to program the car to accept the airbag, but another local dealer does, so they will ship the car to that dealer to have it reprogrammed.

Mar-22: I was called and informed its ready.

Mar-24: I picked up the car.

Needless to say, has not been a pleasant experience.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: My Airbag recall fiasco..

Originally Posted by Hangman
So after a few weeks, I finally got my car back after I brought it in to have the airbag recall done. What should have taken 30 minutes turned out to be weeks long..

Feb-13: I received the letter notifying me that the air bags are now available for the recall. I called the dealer to verify the airbag is in stock and made appointment for the 17th.

Feb-17: Took day off to bring my car into the dealer for the recall. Was informed that they do not have air bag in stock. I told them I had a confirmation that the air bag was in stock hence they made the appointment for me. They said sorry, no air bag in stock and will take about a week or so to get parts. Frustrating to say the least.

Feb-27: Got call saying air bag is in stock. Made appointment for Mar-1.

Mar-1: Brought my car in. Service tech said the actual work should take about 30 minutes but won't be able to get to it for a few hours. I said no problem, as I am just dropping the car off and they can get to it when they can. Around 5:00, I called to see if I can pick up the car. Service advisor informed me that its not ready. I asked why and he said they don't have the tools to remove the air bag. Apparently the Crossfire requires a specific tool to remove and install the air bag. WTF? I said okay, so when will it be done. he said they don't have ETA, as they have to source the tool.

Mar-3: No calls for two days, so I called to check. They said still no tool.

Mar-6: I called to check, he said they should get the tools that day.

Mar-7: I called to check, he said they got the tool, but after they install the air bag, the air bag light is on and they needed to reprogram the car to accept the new air bag. Unfortunately, they don't have the software nor the interface tool to reprogram it. I asked when they will have it, he said they don't know and that they are trying to source it. He said it would be a few days. I said no problem, as I was taking the kids on vacation for Spring break.

Mar-17: I called and left a voice mail for status check. No answer.

Mar-18: I called again for a status. My Service advisor wasn't in so left another voice mail.

Mar-21: Got a call from the service advisor. They still don't have the software nor interface to program the car to accept the airbag, but another local dealer does, so they will ship the car to that dealer to have it reprogrammed.

Mar-22: I was called and informed its ready.

Mar-24: I picked up the car.

Needless to say, has not been a pleasant experience.
Guess what? They lied to you, members here have shown the air bag separated from the front trim and all that was needed was a regular hex socket. My bet is they set of the red light and were looking to fix it all the time. I have had my air bag out and never set the red light as have many here, you disconnect the battery first and that does it. You do not connect the battery until the new bag is in place and wired up.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Takata-1.png (690.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png
Takata-2.png (729.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Re: My Airbag recall fiasco..

In all fairness to the 1st dealer that Hangman took his car to, not all Chrysler dealers signed up to sell and service the Crossfire when they were in production due to lackluster sales. Special tools and training were required, and most dealers passed due to the cost. Then Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009 and many dealers were terminated during the network consolidation. This is why most of us do the work ourselves or use indie shops.

So going forward, anyone who plans on taking their car in for the airbag recall should make sure the part is in stock and the dealership has a Crossfire technician (very rare).

My car comes out of storage next week, so I get to go through this process as well as having them re-learn my new TPMS.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

And a few more XF owners have been dealing with this exact same issue. There is ONE good way to be sure they don't try to make their next few mortgage (rent) payments on that service department. Take a video of the dash startup sequence where the SRS system lamp is (lower left side panel where all the lamps light up for the system checks) and see that the SRS system goes through its 'self check' and turns OFF. Then during incheck, ask the 'inchecker' to verify there is no SRS light lit. Then when picked up, that there are none lit before you leave (do the self check again to verify the system works properly). A few members have been told parts are defective and need replacement. I firmly believe they do everything correctly UNTIL the last few steps starting with something like 'run the SRS system verification' sequence with their computers. OR, they screw up and either not disconnect the battery before taking the bag out OR connect the battery BEFORE the replacement is reconnected and completely installed. Way too many here in the forum have removed, replaced, modified and disconnected their entire steering wheel, all they did was disconnect the NEG cable, wait a few minutes, and do the work (whatever, like swapping the steering wheel with a MB or install the paddleshift mod, etc). After it is all back together (connection wise and all) then the NEG cable gets reattached and off you go with nothing amiss. If done correctly, NO SRS light will light and nothing will need replacement.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
In all fairness to the 1st dealer that Hangman took his car to, not all Chrysler dealers signed up to sell and service the Crossfire when they were in production due to lackluster sales. Special tools and training were required, and most dealers passed due to the cost. Then Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009 and many dealers were terminated during the network consolidation. This is why most of us do the work ourselves or use indie shops.

So going forward, anyone who plans on taking their car in for the airbag recall should make sure the part is in stock and the dealership has a Crossfire technician (very rare).

My car comes out of storage next week, so I get to go through this process as well as having them re-learn my new TPMS.
Nobody works on an airbag without disconnecting the battery, that is a safety rule as well as common sense.
Too many times mechanics lie to the customer instead of admitting their failings. Lying well is almost a prerequisite of getting ahead.
My insurance goes back on the car tomorrow, we have some rain to wash away the salt on the roads, so when it is dry I shall be out in it.
I had three things to do to my car over the winter and I did none of them. I was promising myself to do two of them the previous winter and summer.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

So you car was at the dealer three weeks?

Astoundingly Typical of car dealers in general. May pee be upon them all.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 PM

Yes the car was at the dealer for 3 weeks. Not a big deal since its not my daily driver. I guess the frustrating part was that they did a bad job of communication. They are a certified Crossfire dealer with a Crossfire tech. They for some reason just didn't have the software and interface to program the air bag, and had to ship it to another dealer to do it. They at one time had it, but I guess since they don't work on many Crossfire, that and a recent location move for them, may have gotten the special tools mis-placed.

I do believe it happen as described as Chrysler Corporate Customer Service was also involved and also checked up on the dealer as well. I must give a nod to Chrysler Corp as their Cust rep was the one who followed up with the dealer and gave me updates along the way. The dealer service advisor's communication was lacking at best.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Yes the car was at the dealer for 3 weeks. Not a big deal since its not my daily driver. I guess the frustrating part was that they did a bad job of communication. They are a certified Crossfire dealer with a Crossfire tech. They for some reason just didn't have the software and interface to program the air bag, and had to ship it to another dealer to do it. They at one time had it, but I guess since they don't work on many Crossfire, that and a recent location move for them, may have gotten the special tools mis-placed.

I do believe it happen as described as Chrysler Corporate Customer Service was also involved and also checked up on the dealer as well. I must give a nod to Chrysler Corp as their Cust rep was the one who followed up with the dealer and gave me updates along the way. The dealer service advisor's communication was lacking at best.
Have I mentioned to you the water front property I am selling in Florida? You might be just the right buyer for it.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have I mentioned to you the water front property I am selling in Florida? You might be just the right buyer for it.
LOL... I already own several waterfront properties in Florida's Panhandle. If you ever want to have a vacation in NW Florida, hit me up, I'll give you a discount on the rental..

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

LOL... I already own several waterfront properties in Florida's Panhandle. If you ever want to have a vacation in NW Florida, hit me up, I'll give you a discount on the rental..

He he he he.... Waterfront properties will be selling a lot in the coming (global warming) years! Doncha just love all the attempts at keeping sand on the beaches all over the world? Water IS rising, build on stilts and have a boat (for future planning) OR sell! LMAO...

Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
He he he he.... Waterfront properties will be selling a lot in the coming (global warming) years! Doncha just love all the attempts at keeping sand on the beaches all over the world? Water IS rising, build on stilts and have a boat (for future planning) OR sell! LMAO...

Or just stay where you are and wait for the waterfront to come to you !

Old 03-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Administrator

My friends bought a place on the shore in Brunswick, GA in 1989. THe sea level remains unchanged to this day.

Hangman: I'm with 100/80 on this, I don't believe ANYTHING I'm told by such characters.
And what is this BS about "they shipped my car to another dealer"?

Such BS. All over a simple repair, a repair that they are NOT qualified to do - obviously.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Administrator

And certain characters can just quit blaming owners for the low value of these cars. THIS BULL **** is the reason for the low value of these cars: You buy one and you are on your own, unless you are near one of the local owners groups, where you can get service advice, information and help.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Or just stay where you are and wait for the waterfront to come to you !
That's an idea, buy a potential beach front lot in Kansas or start building an Ark.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:54 PM

I too had a problem with the airbag replacement on my 2008 Coupe (built 2 weeks before plant shut down). Had the airbag replaced, but airbag light came on. Dealer had it a couple of days and was working with Chrysler - FIXED by telling the computer it was a 2007 and used a 2007 VIN. Light went off and also fixed a low tire pressure warning light that had been on for several years due to a dead battery (accidentally left an interior light on all night.). Just moved to a small town on the Oregon coast and went to a Chrysler dealer who rarely sees Crossfires - BUT they did a great job - much better than my prior experiences with a Chrysler dealer in the city.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Re: My Airbag recall fiasco..

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
And certain characters can just quit blaming owners for the low value of these cars. THIS BULL **** is the reason for the low value of these cars: You buy one and you are on your own, unless you are near one of the local owners groups, where you can get service advice, information and help.
You have to admit that many owners are dumping their cars at ridiculously undervalued prices for just about any reason. "I'm an a rush, I'm not looking to make money, I saw one sell for cheaper, or my favorite one where other owners tell a guy selling he's asking too much..." all while many others are selling the same damn car with same same condition for almost twice the price of the other guy. Best example I have is check EBAY - SOLD and look for yourself at the HUGE gap of prices sold for the same dang car. Used car dealerships are the ones profiting the most here by buying with these cheap cars and flipping them at almost twice the price they bought for .

Explain to me why 2 identical Crossfires sell at such HUGE differences. we have all seen some go for $5000 while an identical one sells somewheres else at $11-12K ???

Old 03-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
Explain to me why 2 identical Crossfires sell at such HUGE differences. we have all seen some go for $5000 while an identical one sells somewheres else at $11-12K ???
Paul, I really think (and you have a point in the previous paragraph - but fact is, people often don't make common-sense deals when it comes to buying and selling cars; the same people will go out of their way to save 7 cents per gallon of gas, tho. Explain THAT!

But I really think the difficulty and expense of maintaining the car has a lot to do with it. I've seen (and I know you have) oh, so many people get frustrated and say, "I'v got to sell this car, it's just costing too much (in headaches and money) to keep it running." Now, no one in the North Georgia area that's part of our little group will say that, here the guys are doing my brakes while I'm working on sound systems in other cars:

Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

you are 100% correct in that people do get frustrated by MB and Chrysler not wanting or not knowing how to fix the Crossfire. As you said, we have seen too many owners give up on the repairs and just sell them off as quick as they could. If it was not for this Forum, the FB Crossfire community and the local/regional groups reaching out and creating tech days out there saving owners a lot of money, time and frustration. I would not even want to guess how many would have sold their cars for the above reasons. That's the reason we hold two tech days at my place every year. People have to stop dumping these unique and rare cars just because they saw some one sell one cheaper. Whats wrong with asking more and getting less vs asking for little and getting less...

Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM

Regarding the low value of these cars, I was offered $4500 trade in for my Crossfire when I bought my Vette a few months ago. Now my Crossfire is a 2007 in mint condition with only 25k miles. Dealer said they can't do any better than that. So I just decided to keep it as a 6th car to have for the weekend.

The low low values of these cars are rediculous. Hopefully by the time I retire in 25 years that the would appreciate some.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Regarding the low value of these cars, I was offered $4500 trade in for my Crossfire when I bought my Vette a few months ago. Now my Crossfire is a 2007 in mint condition with only 25k miles. Dealer said they can't do any better than that. So I just decided to keep it as a 6th car to have for the weekend.

The low low values of these cars are rediculous. Hopefully by the time I retire in 25 years that the would appreciate some.
now just imagine how much they (Dealer) would sell it for had you sold. Constantly seeing them retail it out for $10-$12 K