Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Custom A/V - Interior Project

Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom A/V - Interior Project

So I went to talk to an installer today about my Amp and speakers and it turned into project for him and I. Right now I'm installing Alpine SPR-17S Components and an Alpine MRP-F250 amp in the car. The amp placement is unique since it's small enough to fit in between the seats.

Now the crazier stuff is that I liked what one member did in fabricating their console to allow a monitor underneath their stock radio and moved the button controls (Seats, Spoiler, Locks etc.) where the cupholder was. Well, the guy said he could do it and it wouldn't be too hard. Now instead of keeping my Single-DIN unit I'm going to go with a Double-DIN touchscreen head unit, like the Kenwood eXcelon DDX8019 since it has silver in it or the Eclipse variant; both are about the same price.

While the console is out being tinkered with we talked about changing the green LEDs to white LEDs for the console and dash. Eventually, we're going to do a suede headliner and remove the vanity mirrors (since I never use them) and maybe wrap up the A-pillars (could paint them but I'm not sure on that yet). 2 - 8" subs with fiberglass enclosures painted the color of the car is also on the list but that's probably going to end up being sometime early next year. I'll still have a trunk but it should end up being pretty sweet in the end, especially the Double-DIN DVD Head Unit.

Anyway, it's a couple month to a year project that will end up being very clean and not gaudy.

So the list is as follows: (Estimated Time of install)
Alpine Component speakers: Installed
Alpine Amp: Installed
Console Fabrication: (DEC 2007)
Pioneer Avic-Z1: (DEC 2007)
White LEDs: (DEC 2007)
Headliner/trunk: (Spring 2008)
(2) 8" subs in body colored Fiberglass box: (Spring 2008)

EDIT:

I just remembered that we also talked about doing Illuminated Door sills being White also. He said he could machine out the Crossfire and do any which color I wanted. I told him it'd only be worth it if it was under $350 (OEM one is that price and I know we can change the color on those with RPMs method)...I'm sure there will be more edits to come.

Last edited by GatorLCA; 11-11-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Custom A/V - Interior Project

You need to make sure to take lots of pictures for all of us here.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 AM

Got the speakers and amp hooked up yesterday and holy jeez does it sound a whole lot better. Just a few adjustments in the equalizer and bam it was perfect. I'd suggest to anyone to replace the speakers and add an amp to get better sound out of the car.

Also, the amp looks really sweet sitting there in between the seats. The only thing I need to do is paint over the front facing of the light that shines to let you know it's powered on. After it's done it'll have a glow from the outer edges rather than the whole square being filled up in a blue color.

I'll get pictures up whenever I can find a charger for my camera.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 AM

I've made a decision on which unit I'm going to go with for the 2-DIN setup. It's the Alpine IVA-W205. Even though it has a black housing the expandability of the unit is really cool. Since it's a 2-DIN unit there's a ton of space within the unit itself, so Alpine decided to be really smart and allow users to integrate their newest GPS device, Blackbird II, to actually fit inside the unit!

When I get the work done to fit the 2-DIN unit I probably won't have enough dough to get the GPS deive (around $700) but I can always get it later AND if I need to, take it out of my car and use it in another since it's like a GARMIN or Tom Tom unit in and of itself.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Finally got a battery charger for my camera. First part of many.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM

So I've changed my mind for a 3rd and final time. I just bought a Pioneer Avic-Z1 head unit. Main reason was that I currently have a Pioneer unit so I don't need to buy another Sirius tuner, antenna, and possibly a harness adapter since it's all there. It might not use the Garmin GPS software like the Kenwood has but there's more POI in this unit and I know how to get around my area so I really don't need "directions" ; only a map, really. Both units are great in what they do but have their pluses and minuses.

The install is happening in a few weeks (December 6th) and I'm hoping he can get the LEDs changed out in the dash as well as the console. If he can, I'm going with White on the dash and blue on the console (so it matches the buttons on the HU and the LED on the amp).

Before/After pictures will definitely be after this stage since this is the biggie, next pictures will be around 12/10.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You do know about the factory amp space in the passenger footwell right? Just curious.

I would be a little nervous with that amp in open view like that... but that's me.

Keep the pictures coming... Cheers!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and not to knock your project but i noticed your wiring, the carpet that is mounted to can easily be pulled back, so you can hide the cables behind it. its just a big flap with some insulation behind it lotsa room for lotsa wires.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 AM

I didn't wire it, it's on a rack because once you pull off that basket looking thing there are holes that cannot be covered up. The guy I go to forgot to sleeve the other wires (which I mentioned) and he's going to do it when I take it back to him in a few weeks for the head unit install.

I'll talk to him again about feeding the wires behind the rack since he's taking apart the main console anyway and they aren't too thick. The only way you would see them is if you pulled both seats forward.

Last edited by GatorLCA; 11-18-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM

My Z1 arrived today...can't wait until 2 weeks from now when it gets installed. I'll be happier tomorrow when I finally get my car back from the dealer after a week getting body work done after the accident.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM

I'll be curious to see how it turns out. What will be the cost to install the double din unit given it is only set up for a single din now?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Not quite sure. I know if you have a double din a shop will install it for about $180 - $200 (due to splicing wires and installing a car kit). I'm also getting the LEDs changed out in the console, if possible, as well.

I'll post the final price of what it cost to get it installed. The buttons below the current head unit are going on the armrest part of the console where the cupholder is.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 AM

did you changed the subs on the car and if so what subs did you put it. I have the same exact amp in my car but I had it installed behind the driver seat since I really don't need to go back there. The reason I ask is because I can't get the factory subs to work with that amp so I have really good mid's and highs(I have after market Infinity Components) but no bass. I don't even want that much boom in my ride just enough for myself and whatever lady I'm riding with. The only subs I have found are JL audio but I would rather get the factory subs working instead of spending my christmas money...LOL... any suggestion?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

You have to find a stealthy way to hide that amp. Some azzhole is going to try and take it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Honestly, I'm not worried about it. Our cars aren't the best vehicle to do a smash and grab. Plus the amp is wedged in there pretty good.

Also, I'm getting a 2-way security system put in the car that pages me if/when someone breaks into the car and where. Since I'm never more than a half mile from my car at all times (except for work which kind of off the beaten path and in a large neighborhood with co-workers coming and going all day) I'm not overly concerned that it'll be broken into. Plus we have cameras all around the building and parking lot.

So if they can manage breaking the window, not going def from the alarm, wedge themself in the car to reach the amp, pull the amp out of it's screws (which they'll have no leverage) and successfully flee the scene by the time I get out there then they deserve to have a $127 amp. If they're going after anything, it'll be the head unit, that's a little more pricey.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Update:

Heard from the installer today and that everything is going smoothly. They get the console back from paint tomorrow and they'll install the unit and put everything back together.

SIDE NOTE:
I was told that there is NO PAINT CODE for the interior and exterior trim. He and I were both baffled at this but he said that Chrysler may have wanted it this way so if you needed a new trim piece you'd have to buy a brand new part. So again NO PAINT CODE for the trim color.

He also said that the LEDs for the switches are giving him a hard time since you have to completely dissaemble the switch in order to get underneath the board and de-solder the LEDs. I bought and sent a switch to him so he can hopefully figure it out. He said the dash shouldn't be or wasn't a problem to change out so the dash light is now white and the light behind the HVAC controls is just a light not an LED.

I'll hopefully get the car back tomorrow and will take some pictures immediate and post them up. Kind of bummed about the LEDs but hopefully he can figure out how to take the switch completely apart.

Stay tuned

Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular

Looking forward to the pictures. I am also very curious how much the conversion from single to double DIN is.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Anxious to see the photos!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Car will be done tomorrow, Thursday. Also, the LEDs won't be changed out as of now, seems to be a little more work than expected so the next time I have a few days to leave it with him he'll figure it out.

Staying green for now but it's not imperitive that I get it done, I'm more concered and excited about the 7" touchscreen.

Pics will definitely be up tomorrow pretty much as soon as I get the car back home

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 PM

PICTURES: (for some reason I still cannot upload images to the Gallery on the site)

Quick Reply: Custom A/V - Interior Project