Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

what is the best replacement for rear subs??

Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: what is the best replacement for rear subs??

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Having both units on my bench at the same time, and evaluating the quality of manufacture, The $18 you scoff at is NOT warranted. The OEM sub is a real POS. Mine were just fine and I sold them on for...too little. He wanted to keep his xF pure. Good for him.
These are tighter, louder (more efficient) and better-built. Ball is in your court...
Even cheaper deal here: CarID.com
SKU: 16794636
Price: $11.57 ea.
Qty: 2
Delivery: UPS Ground ($8.67)
Subtotal: $23.14
Shipping cost: $8.67
TOTAL: $31.81
PyleŽ - Dual Voice Coil 4 Ohm Subwoofer

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
I caught the price of $18 and immediately thought that covered shipping. Can we really get a better than OEM woofer for that price?
Sorry about that-I pay the $79/yr for Prime. Free (?) 2-day shipping on most items and free videos, music etc. I buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon for home and for work. The "free" 2-day shipping pays down the $80 real quick.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazon.com: Pyle PLPW6D 6-Inch 600 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer: Car Electronics

This works and has decent bump from the OEM amp.

Dremel work required.

I'm installing a new Kenwood power amp for the subs and replacing my HU.

How much modification did it take to install them?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular

Do you wire each in parallel putting a 2 ohm load on the amp?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by meh03
For the "basket, I had to remove some plastic with a Dremel tool to make room for the much larger magnet assembly.

They're being powered, now, through the OEM amp. Direct connection as were the old ones.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by meh03
For the "basket", I had to remove some plastic with a Dremel tool to make room for the much larger magnet assembly.

They're being powered, now, through the OEM amp. Direct connection as were the old ones.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Forum Regular

How is the factory amp at pushing them? They are saying 600W woofers, so I just want to make sure.

Are they giving you much more bass than the factory subs?

They have (2) 4 ohm voice coils. Did you wire them in parallel to put a 2 ohm load on the amp? The factory subs are 2 ohm correct?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A really close friend of mine from back home is planing to visit me this summer, he knows how to fix the little sponge kind of flexing part of the speaker, I will let yall know if he comes one of mine is already blown so I really hope that he does come

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Re: what is the best replacement for rear subs??

For the "basket", I had to remove some plastic with a Dremel tool to make room for the much larger magnet assembly.

Max: Ref. the Pyle sub woofer...is there a noticeable positive increased in the bottom end sound with this woofer?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by carl graham
Max: Ref. the Pyle sub woofer...is there a noticeable positive increased in the bottom end sound with this woofer?
Oh, yes. Worth the little bit of work. However, when pushed, the lights in the HU will dim, indicating, to me, that the limits are being reached with the OEM amp/HU power wiring. I'm installing a Kenwood (w/8 ga. direct power from the underhood fuse block) amp for the subs only. Hopefully I'll get the remainder of the wiring installed tomorrow.

I'm using the OEM amp to run my Infinity door speakers only. HU Sub Out to run the new amp. With this setup, I can also dial in the cutoff frequency for the door speakers.

Screw the 270 uF caps! Won't need 'em.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular

Hey maxcichon, I got a question for ya too!!

So yeah, I replaced my door speakers with a set of new Infinity 6032cf reference models, and put in a new Kenwood BT955HD (4v preouts).
The new unit actually makes even the subs sound much nicer, and the subs are still the stock ones. My question is this: do you think I should replace the factory subs with these Pyle ones? The xfire is from 2004, and I got it back in 2011. I just want your opinion on how much longer the stock subs would last-ish. As reference, I personally have never maxed the sound system even when I had the factory headunit before this Kenwood one, and dont plan on ever maxing it volume wise either. I mostly listen to it around mid volume if that makes sense?

Also, on that amazon sale for the Pyle subs, is the price for 1 speaker or 2? Not real sure from the description.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Hey maxcichon, I got a question for ya too!!

So yeah, I replaced my door speakers with a set of new Infinity 6032cf reference models, and put in a new Kenwood BT955HD (4v preouts).
The new unit actually makes even the subs sound much nicer, and the subs are still the stock ones. My question is this: do you think I should replace the factory subs with these Pyle ones? The xfire is from 2004, and I got it back in 2011. I just want your opinion on how much longer the stock subs would last-ish. As reference, I personally have never maxed the sound system even when I had the factory headunit before this Kenwood one, and dont plan on ever maxing it volume wise either. I mostly listen to it around mid volume if that makes sense?

Also, on that amazon sale for the Pyle subs, is the price for 1 speaker or 2? Not real sure from the description.
Adrian,
Please remember I have a roadster, and that making sound is a bit tougher.
I replaced the OEM HU (Pioneer DEH-U5000BT) soon after getting the car (2007). This made a big difference in sound quality.
I then installed the 270 uF caps, improving band separation from door to subs.
Still was not happy with bass response. Removed and inspected the OEM subs only to find, as everyone else, that the baskets were designed for subs with extremely small magnet assemblies. Upgrade replacements were tough to find. I started looking/researching at the same time as another member. He confirmed my list.
I chose the Pyle's on a price point and fit match.
Installed them, turned on the HU and without changing any settings, the bass response had improved quite a bit.
Played with sound settings in the Pioneer HU and made it pretty nice-I could now do 75 and still hear the tunes, clearly. BUT-when I pushed the volume, I noticed clipping and dimming of the HU lighting. I figure the new subs, while louder, were more of a load on the OEM amp. Decided to find a separate amp for the subs (makes sense to me?). Bought a Kenwood KAC-1502S. 2-channel, bridgeable, with adjustable input sensitivity (1-4.5 V) to match the 2 volt sub-out from my new HU. Pioneer MVH-X560BT Media. No CD-not needed.
Now, to answer your query:
1) Yes, replace them. It is worth it.
2) Considering the lack of quality in the OEM subs, I GUESS these will last longer. The foam surrounds are heavier (high density) and "treated" for longevity. (Yeah, right!)
3) My OEM subs were in "as-new" condition when removed. I don't know why others have failed.
4) One.
5) Amazon seems to be out of them. Cheap-
Pyle PLPW6D 6-Inch 600 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer

In summary, if you do decide to replace them, it will just make for a nicer/louder low end.
The connectors are NOT spring posts. They are push-on spades and require no mods for the OEM wiring harness. In retrospect, with the Dremel work involved (~1 1/2 hours) I would have spent a little more $$ for a higher-quality (see list) sub!
I'll wait 'til these fail.

Last edited by maxcichon; 02-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM

And, now, looking back (the very easiest way to do that) I would have bought a pair of SINGLE voice coil subs (much larger selection) to go with my new amp.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Forum Regular

Damn, threw everything but the kitchen sink at me with that reply hahahah
Alrighty then, for the time being the stock subs are working well, and sound decent because of the Kenwood 955HD deck. What I'll do is buy a pair of these Pyle ones to have as spares in case s**t hits the fan with the stock ones in the future.
Thanks for the response, made me more confident in going forward with the purchase of these little suckers.

BTW, I saw your review on Amazon on the Pyle subs hahahah, man you were brutal on them

Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Forum Regular

Product review:
I installed two 4-ohm Tang Band subwoofers to replace the blown dual-voice-coil Bose sub in my Z3. I made a new litttle sealed box for them that fit in the stock location between the seats. I think they were this model:
Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | 264-831
I was very impressed with the quantity and quality of bass these little subs could put out!
Tang Band has 5.25" and 6.5" subwoofers (including other small sizes), so you might be able to find something that would work.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Was this on the compiled list?

TS-VR6 - 6" 150 Watt 2x4-Ohm EXT Subwoofer

Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular

Those tsvr6 units look good spec wise, and dual voice coils too?
What about these kicker ones? http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1681957&pid=1219060406453

Last edited by Adrian_X; 02-17-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Those tsvr6 units look good spec wise, and dual voice coils too?
What about these kicker ones? Kicker - CompRT 6-3/4" Dual-Voice-Coil 2-Ohm Subwoofer - 40CWRT672 - Best Buy
I think the magnet assembly is too big to fit at all in the plastic basket. I think they make a shallow-fit version?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

I haven't seen a shallow version yet? If they make one I think it'll be a good replacement though

Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 PM

I think the magnet assembly is too big to fit at all in the plastic basket. I think they make a shallow-fit version?

The kickers I installed required "some" modification.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rear-subs.html

Quick Reply: what is the best replacement for rear subs??