Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

replaced rear subs

Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced rear subs

Installed the Kicker CVT654 last night. It is a single voice coil, not a dual like the factory sub and there IS modification required to the two piece plastic basket housing and the slightly to the sheet metal in one small area.

Not as load as the factory becuase it is essentially replacing 4 subs (2 each dual voice coils) with 2 (single voice coils) which raises the ohms. Good quality sound but only half the punch.

IMG_1791.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg

Had to remove the aesthetic rubber magnet ring to fit and still needed room. Note the gap at the mounting surface towards the bottom.
IMG_1802.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg
IMG_1813.jpg

Becuase of the modification required to fit the plastic basket housing the enclosure is no longer sealed. However I am not sure how "sealed" the cavity was in the first place. I will need to read up on if the factory amp can be bridged now since the ohms have been raised.

?

Last edited by JesseJamessrt6; 08-31-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Default Re: replaced rear subs

I am thinking about getting these. Have you been able to get them the proper amount of power yet? If so, how do they sound after the modification to get them to fit?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 PM

I was thinking about using a similar sized kicker - 40CWRT672. This one is about the same size as the kicker you added. How hard was it to get the plastic cover off the kicker sub? Also, did you have any issues getting the new sub back in place?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so there wasn't much punch in the stocker. Are you saying that this won't be as loud...?? I was hoping for something with a little more punch.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

I did this same thing with these....

Pyle PLPW6D Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer - Walmart.com

some shaving of the back of the box and I drilled some holes to match up with the screw holes on the pyle and put plastic wall anchors behind them to secure the screws behind the box.

I'm wondering what removing the capacitors in the door speakers will result in at this time with the new 4 ohm subs.

Anyone have some insight? I think I am going to do the door speakers next, then the head unit, then the amp.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Hi, I am looking for advise on how to access the subs for replacement . How and what do I have to remove/ Any special tools or cautions that I need to be aware of ? Any photos would be helpful. Thank you

Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

You've got to pull up the carpet. Now I forget exactly how I did it but I knew I needed to pull it up when I started.

I took out the seats, star torx bit, I forget what size. Un plug the seat.

There are 2 plastic plugs that pop out. I used a pry bar underneath the plastic as not to scratch it to pop those out.

then just peal the carpet away from the moldlings and trim and you should see the sub container in the back wall.

sorry no pics

Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobilefitt

some shaving of the back of the box and I drilled some holes to match up with the screw holes on the pyle and put plastic wall anchors behind them to secure the screws behind the box.

I'm wondering what removing the capacitors in the door speakers will result in at this time with the new 4 ohm subs.

Anyone have some insight? I think I am going to do the door speakers next, then the head unit, then the amp.
Any photos? How extensive is the shaving?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilefitt

FYI. I installed these subs then replaced the door speakers. I get more bass out of the doors. Dynamat helps.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular

I got my capacitors out of the door now. My new kenwood HU allows me to adjust bass so many different ways now that I can get really decent sound with the stock door speakers. It's not an ideal set up yet, but it's a lot better than stock.

I'm still on stock amp. Rear subs are not thumping through the seats, but the overall sound is damn good now that I removed the caps. I plan to upgrade the door speakers with infiniti 320w set. I will report back how things shape up.

If the sound isn't better, I will replace or supplement the stock amp for the subs.

Stock amp has plenty of power with the new Head Unit