Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Double din radio mod

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Double din radio mod

Hey new to this posting thing, but what you guys think ? This set up was $600 I think I spent all together and about 3 days I relocated the buttons and the heated seat ones were a pain in the ***. Radio 340$ install din kit 30$ paint 5$ wires 5$ epoxy 5$ and some other thing I can't remember right now.
I can do it for other people if you wanted to pay me for my time. If not, just do it take your time and have fun. I will check in to answer questions if any. But tell what you guys and girls think of my job . And thank you grip grip for helping me share this info.
*** look at user gallery for more pics of mods I did *** and I believe the pics are bigger too.

[url=https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/album.php?albumid=64322&pictureid=83662&thumb=1]

Last edited by Dogdave4130; 04-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Double din radio mod

do my car next

Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Looks great! I wanted to do a double din mod for a while but a friend traded me his single din with removable screen for one of my subs I got for free and had no no use for. So I can't really complain about my setup.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM

That's amazing! You did an excellent job. What will you charge for your labor? I like the double din look.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work and thanks for posting.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering changing my console layout by putting the radio opening at the top, just below the A/C vents, with the button assembly next, then the A/C controls at the level just above the ashtray. Does anybody know if this can be done?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

That is nice work.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

WOW - you took on quite a mission and pulled it off nicely!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolx
I'm considering changing my console layout by putting the radio opening at the top, just below the A/C vents, with the button assembly next, then the A/C controls at the level just above the ashtray. Does anybody know if this can be done?
Pretty sure the AC controls have to stay in the same spot unless you are willing/it is possible to move the little arms that control the vents and temp. Don't think it would be an easy task but not sure what it looks like behind all the insulation.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

Do you have any advice for doing this at home? I've been searching and searching and I haven't been able to find double din dash panels for the R170.

edit: I'm also looking at the AppRadio 3 so that I'll have full android functionality for things like navigation and using the Torque app.

Originally Posted by Dogdave4130
Hey new to this posting thing, but what you guys think ? This set up was $600 I think I spent all together and about 3 days I relocated the buttons and the heated seat ones were a pain in the ***. Radio 340$ install din kit 30$ paint 5$ wires 5$ epoxy 5$ and some other thing I can't remember right now.
I can do it for other people if you wanted to pay me for my time. If not, just do it take your time and have fun. I will check in to answer questions if any. But tell what you guys and girls think of my job . And thank you grip grip for helping me share this info.
*** look at user gallery for more pics of mods I did *** and I believe the pics are bigger too.

[url=https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/album.php?albumid=64322&pictureid=83662&thumb=1]

Old 05-07-2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Do you have any advice for doing this at home? I've been searching and searching and I haven't been able to find double din dash panels for the R170.

edit: I'm also looking at the AppRadio 3 so that I'll have full android functionality for things like navigation and using the Torque app.

Double DIN head unit installation - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

This could be promising although I don't know how the top vents would work, maybe just cut the piece off..

Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tageier
Double DIN head unit installation - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

This could be promising although I don't know how the top vents would work, maybe just cut the piece off..
I've been doing a bit of research and I may just find someone with a 3D printer to make a dash for me or drill holes in the stock set up I have and pray I don't break it.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing a bit of research and I may just find someone with a 3D printer to make a dash for me or drill holes in the stock set up I have and pray I don't break it.
If that works out, you should make a couple and sell them. I am sure you could get a list of people who would be willing to buy them.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
If that works out, you should make a couple and sell them. I am sure you could get a list of people who would be willing to buy them.
I'm pretty useful with Solidworks so I may just design the dash and sell the plan to anyone who wants to get one made. If anyone wants a slot for a push start button I could see about doing that as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM

I'm pretty useful with Solidworks so I may just design the dash and sell the plan to anyone who wants to get one made. If anyone wants a slot for a push start button I could see about doing that as well.

I'd be interested in both, when I get back in a few months.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Codyktt
I'd be interested in both, when I get back in a few months.

Great, I'll be sure to post when I have everything made. I'll be doing a layout for the 6spd first so I'll have to figure out where I'm going to put the other switch for the spoiler and does anyone know if the hole for the shifter is different between the auto and the manual?

I'll do more research and try to have a design done within the next 3 weeks.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular

So I didn't have any luck with trying to make a design in CAD easily. Right now I'm in the middle of installing a Sony XSP-N1BT. I've wanted an android head unit and while the App Radio is a nice set up it requires a lot of wiring and cost almost 3 times as much. Here's a picture of what it looks like right now. I'll be adding plexiglass to fill all the open spots and then I'll take measurements for a CAD design.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Head unit install.jpg (51.2 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Somebody just really needs to buy a 3D printer.. LOL. From stereo surrounds to blanks to hold $50 fog lights.. A guy could be a forum "God" ... LOL

Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just my personal opinion but think the stock radio location is too low for a display. That is why I just added a head unit that could support/AUX/USB/Bluetooth and put the displays up higher.

If want something for serious driving, consider a HUD.

Poor picture & with engine off but you get the idea.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hud.jpg (21.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Just my personal opinion but think the stock radio location is too low for a display. That is why I just added a head unit that could support/AUX/USB/Bluetooth and put the displays up higher.

If want something for serious driving, consider a HUD.

Poor picture & with engine off but you get the idea.

I was considering a HUD too but it's very bad on daylight

If a custom work is considered, the best way would be to copy the new NAV systems In 2014 Audi / Mercedes / BMW

Quick Reply: Double din radio mod