Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Repairing BCM?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repairing BCM?

Not sure. The alarm went off 3 times today. Takes about 1 minute to shut itself off. Windows seem to work OK so far but I hate to use them in case they stick open again.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by rscrogg
Not sure. The alarm went off 3 times today. Takes about 1 minute to shut itself off. Windows seem to work OK so far but I hate to use them in case they stick open again.
When the alarm goes off it is generally the alarm that is failing or there is some fault in the security system.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:57 PM

So is the alarm a separate unit and can it be removed or disconnected without messing up the other electronics? Really don't need it and it's caused nothing but trouble.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Yes the alarm is a separate unit.
It's not that hard to access as well. You need to remove our wipers, then remove the plastic piece under that, the cowling or whatever they call it, a few bolts to remove, connectors etc.. And you are good to go... The alarm is located under there.. Looks like a hockey puck. I changed mine last year as mine was also causing he grief.. I'm not sure if just disconecting it would work as there may be info feedback back to the controller telling it that someone has disarmed the alarm... I'm sure you could find a thread here on the site with further info on this..

Old 02-20-2016, 05:47 PM

Did you replace the alarm module? New or used? What about the switch? Parts list shows a switch but only gives location as "under hood" Any idea of where it is and whether it could be the problem instead of the module? I'm not sure what the switch function is, but I wondeer if it is what is causing the alarm to sound intermittently or if it is a faulty module.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 AM

I did replace the alarm module which I located under the cowling as I previously mentioned with a new module.. That module contains the actual siren, and self contained battery.. That battery is needed I. Order for the siren to sound even if the battery terminals are disconnected from the battery.. Added security I guess.. Sometimes over time the battery leaks and corrodes the circuitry making the alarm do funky things. In my case the chargeable battery inside the module was completey dead and hence my alarm wouldn't even sound.. Only the lights would flash.. After putting a new module the siren would also sound... My issue was Bcm related and I couldn't unlock my car with the key fob, and when I would unlock it using the key it wouldn't disarm the alarm and hence the alarm would sound and I couldn't turn it off.. Eventually it would just stop on its own..
I'm not sure what your situation is with your alarm... If it isn't lock related like mine was and just going off on its own.. It may be alarm module issues and replacing it may resolve it.... But who really knows unless you actually do so..
I'm not sure what you are talking about a switch under the hood..l there is a switch in the cabin related to the tow away alarm disarm etc... On the center dash.. Don't think that it would have anything to do with your problem though..

Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, when the alarm was going off, was the exterior lights flashing as well?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When my alarm failed I took it out. Haven't replaced it yet. I had no flashing lights. Just a noisy alarm. Another project for the summer months.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 AM

When my alarm goes off, the lights don't flash. It happened 6 or 7 times so far, either when I was driving or stopped at a light.

The under-hood switch I mentioned is shown on the parts diagram where I went to look for a replacement alarm. Check out http://www,factorymoparparts.net and enter the car type (mine is a 2005 Crossfire Limited). It's shown under Electronics and then Alarm.

for oledoc2u, when you removed the alarm, did everything else work OK? I may just do that but I thought it might mess up other electronics.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:03 AM

I think it should be Factory Mopar Parts - Wholesale Mopar Catalog (I had a , instead of a . after www)

Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 AM

It happened on the roadster while on the interstate. I am retired law enforcement, and it did bring back memories except I didn't have red blues flashing. People around me were dumbfounded. I had to get off the interstate and tear into it. I didn't notice a thing all the way home and have had it out a few times since. I do plan on finding and installing a new siren. Added to the summer to do list.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rscrogg
When my alarm goes off, the lights don't flash. It happened 6 or 7 times so far, either when I was driving or stopped at a light.

The under-hood switch I mentioned is shown on the parts diagram where I went to look for a replacement alarm. Check out http://www,factorymoparparts.net and enter the car type (mine is a 2005 Crossfire Limited). It's shown under Electronics and then Alarm.

for oledoc2u, when you removed the alarm, did everything else work OK? I may just do that but I thought it might mess up other electronics.
I would think that if the lights aren't flashing, then it is an alarm failure, not the BCM telling it to go off, doesn't that seem to fit?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 AM

Yes, makes since to me...

Old 02-21-2016, 12:03 PM

I would tend to agree with both of you that if the lights aren't flashing it would seem to be an alarm malfuntion issues and not the Bcm.
Mine was Bcm related and I had the lights flashing.
Did you resolve your window role up issues with flashing the Bcm?
I would just suggest that if you are to take everything apart under your hood to disconect the alarm module you may as well just get a new one now and put it in while you open it all up as opposed to doing the work twice to remove everything.

Also while you have all that apart you may as well do the wiper arm rubber grommet modification while you have access to removing the cowling.
There are many threads showing exactly how it is done to repair this manufacturing defect which left the driver side wiper arm without a rubber grommet since the factory hole was misplaced... Just a thought.. Assuming that your car hasn't already corrected in that manner by yourself or previous owners if there were any.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 PM

Rscrogg, did you manage to resolve your problems? Just curious as to how you made out?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 PM

I manage to locate an exact match for my Bcm.. All the numbers match..
I asked the seller for what type of xfire was it off and he told me that it was from a coupe with automatic trans..
My xfire is a coupe but with manual trans... My dilemma is now that even if the Bcm is an exact match numbers wise.. But mine is a manual and his was an automatic... I'm wondering if this Bcm will work for me??
Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
I would tend to agree with both of you that if the lights aren't flashing it would seem to be an alarm malfuntion issues and not the Bcm.
Mine was Bcm related and I had the lights flashing.
Did you resolve your window role up issues with flashing the Bcm?
I would just suggest that if you are to take everything apart under your hood to disconect the alarm module you may as well just get a new one now and put it in while you open it all up as opposed to doing the work twice to remove everything.

Also while you have all that apart you may as well do the wiper arm rubber grommet modification while you have access to removing the cowling.
There are many threads showing exactly how it is done to repair this manufacturing defect which left the driver side wiper arm without a rubber grommet since the factory hole was misplaced... Just a thought.. Assuming that your car hasn't already corrected in that manner by yourself or previous owners if there were any.
Many threads? There is one thread that shows how to do it, mine. Someone did one like it later, but mine had the cowl off and enabled cleaning out debris over the drains as well as siren access.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:38 PM

Never was able to resolve my BCM problems and get it programmed. Unfortunately I just traded the Crossfire on a new Murano and decided I didn't have time to deal with all the issues any more.
I do have the used BCM available in case anyone is interested. Will probably sell it for about $65 or so. Looks to be in great condition. Let me know if interested.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 AM

Aww that's unfortunate..

Can you put up a pic of the Bcm that you have including the decal with all the numbers etc?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM

It doesn't have a decal. Got it from East Coast Parts and they had written X007P on it. I tried to insert 2 photos but it just came up as a bunch of code.

Quick Reply: Repairing BCM?