Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Found an easy fit amplifier replacement for stock Infinity model

Old 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an easy fit amplifier replacement for stock Infinity model

I finally decided to upgrade my SRT6 Roadster system after all this time. I did not want to go to great pains to find a home for an amplifier when space comes so dear on these cars, so I looked for one that would meet my requirements and still fit in the factory location. I thought I would show what I ended up with here, in case anyone is looking for the same.

The Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520D seemed to fit the bill. It is a four channel model, rated at 100 Watts RMS per channel into a 4 Ohm load, or 130 per channel into a 2 Ohm load. They are available for around $100 online.

PN4.520D - Picasso Nano - Amplifiers - Car Audio

I think it was a good choice. The fit is completely without fault...even down to using the factory retention screws on the upper two mounting holes. (I did have to drill new holes in the amp plate for the other two.) The first photo shows the factory setup and the second shows the Soundstream mounted, but not yet wired.

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

I spliced into the factory wiring harness to drive the loudspeakers, but will likely run new larger gauge wires to the new subwoofer drivers (Earthquake SWS-6.5's) when they arrive. I wanted to use some amazing, but no longer available, 7" Adire Extremis drivers that I have on hand, but they would require more hacking of the factory bracket than I am prepared to do, so I'm taking the easy way out.

I'm also waiting on the door speakers to arrive...they will be an Infinity Reference 6500CX component set. All together, it should be a reasonably well matched modest system. The improvement from the amplifier alone (being driven by a Kenwood KIV-701) is impressive even with the weak factory loudspeakers...especially considering only one of the two voice coils on each factory sub driver is connected.

The Infinity system is on a FedEX truck for delivery today and the Earthquake sub drivers should be here early next week. I'm looking forward to getting it all together!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Found an easy fit amplifier replacement for stock Infinity model

Sounds like its going to be a rocking Christmas at your place

Thanks for the info

Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! I put in the Infinity door speakers yesterday without any problems (didn't even break a door handle trim ring ). The Reference 6500cx system was pretty much a drop-in. The tweeters even mounted in the factory location and used the rear retention tabs of the factory tweeter! Couldn't be easier. I was prepared to modify the door panel and custom mount the tweeter.

DSCF00951.jpg

The only issue with the 6-1/2" driver was that the outer edge of the frame is flanged, versus the flat perimeter of the factory driver. This kept the outer portion of the speaker housing (the part with the oval opening matching the door grill) from seating as far down when assembled. But, since the foam gasket around that opening is so thick, it caused no problem. It probably just results in a better seal.

I like the result and it is a substantial sonic improvement over the factory parts. Now I just have to wait for the subwoofer drivers to arrive. I will say the original Infinity parts appear to be of reasonably high quality. I wonder how they would sound with a proper filter network instead of one pitiful electrolytic capacitor on the tweeter and the woofer running full range.

Since I have the parts on hand now, maybe I'll drag out the acoustical measurement equipment, mock them up on a panel and design a real crossover for them. That might be fun...if I can just find the time.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Forum Regular

Have you had a chance to power everything up? I curious as to the output on the amp....how close it is on spec'd output to actual output.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 AM

It is operational (no subs, yet), and I am happy with the results so far. I don't have a high power load resistor set for amplifier testing, so I did not test the Picasso Nano power output.

Before buying, however, I did find a forum where someone did test one. He found that the amplifier slightly exceeded the factory specifications. Here's a link:

Soundstream Picasso Nano amps (first impression) - CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular

I have the earthquake SWS's installed in my roadster, had modify the baskets a little to get them to fit, but am very happy with the results. I went with a precision power phantom amp under the passenger seat, also rated at 100w x 4 into 4 ohms, and JBL GTO components in the front and was also able to clip them into the factory tweeter location. It was a major difference in sound quality and volume, with a fairly modest price tag.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

KJ, where in Texas are you?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TommyT
KJ, where in Texas are you?
Forney. About 30 miles East of Dallas.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever get it all together? I am looking to do an upgrade but I am reluctant to go splicing into wires without explicit step by step instructions.

Thei picasso unit looks to be appropriate. Did you change the tweeters because they suck? or because they won't work with the new amp?

Also, Sub's ??? I am not sure my roadster has them. Was this another channel and where did you install them?

Sorry if I seem like I don't know whats going on here.... it's because I don't! I have always been a torque/ hp guy but this sound system needs help!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:36 PM

It appears my factory amplifier has recently died. I have opened it all up and found that it requires a factory replacement. After copious amounts of research I found this thread.

So there is an option to use an aftermarket amp (ie: Picasso) in place of the factory amp? Can we do this without rewiring the entire set up?

My intentions are to first get the factory components, and behind the seat subs running again, and then perhaps replace the speakers, but in any case if I can avoid rewiring, time and money will be saved.

Can we get a step by step on how to switch out the factory set up for the aftermarket, and exactly how to wire.

Thank You,

FJP

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Thank u for your post. I am looking to do exactly what u did.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Forum Regular

I went to the sound store an spoke to some pros on the topic.

They are going to put something together for me that is repetitively inexpensive

$150 subs
$100 amp
$100 door speakers and tweeters.
$100 head unit.

Anyone know if the stock Subs are 2ohm or 4??? and how many watts??

Last edited by mobilefitt; 11-05-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They are 2 ohm.. dual voice coil.. (4 wires to each speaker)..

Haven't ever seen anything on watts.. but 240w amp would suggest at least 60w max.. I would suspect a little more.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 11-05-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a new amplifier installed yesterday. It's compact and easily fits into the OEM mounting location. It's a DS18 CANDY-4DR . . .

DS18 CAR AUDIO ELECTRONICS

Now I also ordered new door speakers, tweeters and subwoofers. I go back Monday to have all the speakers installed.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I had a new amplifier installed yesterday. It's compact and easily fits into the OEM mounting location. It's a DS18 CANDY-4DR . . .

Now I also ordered new door speakers, tweeters and subwoofers. I go back Monday to have all the speakers installed.

Dog, we all really appreciate your enthusiasm with finding alternatives, but the link you provided, have you seen how they spell 'BRIDGED' in the third image of the amp?

I just shook my head... I know its 'hidden' BUT.....

Attached Images
File Type: png
1ee.png (254.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Hi GG, At some point they must have discovered that error because they have that same photo on the box and "BRIDGED" is spelled correctly . . .

Old 06-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Hi GG, At some point they must have discovered that error because they have that same photo on the box and "BRIDGED" is spelled correctly . . .

BTW my friend, it was in no way a complaint, a dig, anything that would or should be taken as an insult, a derogatory comment, or anything mean. I think I'll have to make a general purpose disclaimer, as it seems some members can be very very touchy when it comes to replies to posts. All I wanted to do was point out that little things can make me giggle (yes giggle) as I am sure the amp works GREAT in its application. It looks great, but if it actually arrives with the misspelling I would appreciate the fact that its hidden in the cubby hole under the passenger floor (in left hand drive cars). Today, as I was driving home from a round trip (that I do every so often) I actually turned on my infinity factory nav radio. It has been so long since I turned it on, I had to lower the bass and treble a little. I'm not much into the habit of annoying others trying to enjoy their day out in public. I really just enjoy the natural sounds my XF makes (but shudder when she hits all those poorly maintained roads here in the wonderful state of SC).

Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 PM

No offense was taken (or even thought of). I sent the company this e-mail earlier today . . .
  • Message Details:
  •  
    • Name Bob Davis
    • Subject Changing out a photo on your website
    • Message On your website, look at the photos for your DS18 CANDY-4DR. In the third product photo "BRIDGED" is misspelled. I know you discovered that error at some point because the similar photo on the product box is correct. You really should change out the photo on your website as it reflects poorly on the product and the QC image of DS18. Just sayin'
  • Sent on: 8 June, 2015
  • Thank you!

They responded very quickly and had already fixed their website . . .

Hello,

Thank you so much for paying attention and letting us know about the misspelling. ​The issue was fixed, as you can see on link below.

Yes, we did discover this error earlier and the amplifiers do not come like this

Thank you very much

#WeLikeItLoud

Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 AM

No offense was taken (or even thought of). I sent the company this e-mail earlier today . . .
  • Message Details:
  •  
    • Name Bob Davis
    • Subject Changing out a photo on your website
    • Message On your website, look at the photos for your DS18 CANDY-4DR. In the third product photo "BRIDGED" is misspelled. I know you discovered that error at some point because the similar photo on the product box is correct. You really should change out the photo on your website as it reflects poorly on the product and the QC image of DS18. Just sayin'
  • Sent on: 8 June, 2015
  • Thank you!

They responded very quickly and had already fixed their website . . .

Hello,

Thank you so much for paying attention and letting us know about the misspelling. ​The issue was fixed, as you can see on link below.

Yes, we did discover this error earlier and the amplifiers do not come like this

Thank you very much

#WeLikeItLoud

Yeah, I know... Great effort on your part to follow up on that with them. Also, great response from them to update the picture! TC my friend!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular

Are there any pictures of splicing done to connect the factory wiring to the new piccasso ? or any amp for that matter? Are there two rca style plugs that go into the factory amp?

Quick Reply: Found an easy fit amplifier replacement for stock Infinity model