Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Keep your original speakers...

Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep your original speakers...

Hey guys and girls, instead of searching for new speakers just to be disappointed in the way they sound just order the new foam surrounds for the speakers. They sell the kits to do them and it looks very easy. Im going to give it a shot and see how it works. Check out this website.

Jeep Liberty, Dodge Durango, Chrysler, Infinity 6-1/2" Speaker Foam Repair Kit # FSK-6.5

Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trenzman
Hey guys and girls, instead of searching for new speakers just to be disappointed in the way they sound just order the new foam surrounds for the speakers. They sell the kits to do them and it looks very easy. Im going to give it a shot and see how it works. Check out this website.

Jeep Liberty, Dodge Durango, Chrysler, Infinity 6-1/2" Speaker Foam Repair Kit # FSK-6.5
I've ordered from this company to do a repair on some 20 year old Pioneer tower speakers. Pretty easy and straight forward. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Keep your original speakers...

Or you can go to a junkyard and find a speaker which is the same size and take the foam part from it. Take a razor with you. It will take just few minutes to finish the job. And probably it wont cost anything. Maybe a dollar?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hokkabaz
Or you can go to a junkyard and find a speaker which is the same size and take the foam part from it. Take a razor with you. It will take just few minutes to finish the job. And probably it wont cost anything. Maybe a dollar?
With the repair kit, the foam replacements will have a "lip" on the inner and the outer ring which will give you a nice area to glue to your cones. With the salvage yard speakers, you will still end up with old foam that has been in the sun, breaking down for who knows how long. For $25 bucks, I'd rather fix it right and forget about it for several years. Just my opinion.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RL67037
With the repair kit, the foam replacements will have a "lip" on the inner and the outer ring which will give you a nice area to glue to your cones. With the salvage yard speakers, you will still end up with old foam that has been in the sun, breaking down for who knows how long. For $25 bucks, I'd rather fix it right and forget about it for several years. Just my opinion.
+1 I agree. Why repair with old stuff when you know its gonna fall apart quicker that the new one will.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trenzman
+1 I agree. Why repair with old stuff when you know its gonna fall apart quicker that the new one will.
I actually do enjoy the time I spend while fixing things up I get few beers, few friends and take a whole day to fix something even if it is such a small task. Also I do enjoy to look around to find a weird way to fix something. So it is basically just a point of view

Old 03-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Forum Regular

Update.... I tried to post some pictures of the sub rebuild but i kept getting errors. So I finished both speakers and they sound AWESOME, crystal clear and perfect bass. I couldnt be any happier and it only cost me 30 bucks and a little time.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

Replace the foam on the woofer behind the drivers seat and it works fine.

But...I broke the speaker cover using a screw driver. I highly suggest the proper trim tool be utilized.

I am looking for a good used cover 1938270040.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm sorry I don't think I understand. What is the point of this "repair"? Is this for speakers that don't work at all or is it for all of us to make the speakers behind the seats sound better?
I think all I hear from behind the seats is some "mumbling" sound. Figured my speakers might be blown?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Forum Regular

Just upgrade to some nice Polk or Infinity components. The stock speakers are just awful.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I'm sorry I don't think I understand. What is the point of this "repair"? Is this for speakers that don't work at all or is it for all of us to make the speakers behind the seats sound better?
I think all I hear from behind the seats is some "mumbling" sound. Figured my speakers might be blown?
The repairs mentioned here are for speakers that sound "rattle-y". The speakers behind your seat are only subwoofers so all you should hear from them are very low, bass sounds.

As some have mentioned, new speakers would be the way to go, but I just added capacitors to the door speakers blocking the bass and letting the subs do the work ... and that only cost about 3 bucks

Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 AM

The rattley "blown speaker" happens when the cone separates from the rim of the speaker housing. The cone is attached by the foam rim. Once fixed with new foam, the subs will give a great bassy thump! I had to do both of mine and also replaced the door speakers. Sounds awesome!

Old 05-15-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by RL67037
Without a doubt..the idea of using a junkyard-salvaged foam would be nothing short of an exercise in futility!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:11 PM
Default Stock system is pretty good

I personally think that the stock sound system is pretty good. With the top down, and my iTunes playing full volume, wheels to the freeway....the sound is really good....music blasting driving convertible = So Much Fun!!