Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Gorgeous Head Unit with fade Control

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gorgeous Head Unit with fade Control

I am getting ready to do an upgrade on the sound system. I want to add blue tooth streaming audio and I plan to replace the poorly designed subs in the wall behind the seats. I have been chatting with crutchfield for days trying to learn about our system.... what it can do, what it can't do, how to make it do what I want.

I found this head unit that should match the silver trim nicely and is upgradeable so if I re-do the AMP later, it can be incorporated.

Kenwood KMR-D562BT Marine CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

And its water resistant b/c its a marine style unit.

Who has put a mini sub box in their car?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Gorgeous Head Unit with fade Control

OK so subs are a ***** for this car.... can someone tell me why these wont work???

Technical Pro 6.5''' Raw Subwoofer at TigerDirect.com

Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Forum Regular

NM... 8 ohms. It's a house speaker

Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
I am getting ready to do an upgrade on the sound system. I want to add blue tooth streaming audio and I plan to replace the poorly designed subs in the wall behind the seats. I have been chatting with crutchfield for days trying to learn about our system.... what it can do, what it can't do, how to make it do what I want.

I found this head unit that should match the silver trim nicely and is upgradeable so if I re-do the AMP later, it can be incorporated.

I have the 558bt.
The 562 is the new model of the 558 but at a glance I did not see any difference between the two.
I changed the display color to natch the dash and it looks like it was made for the XFire. With adjustments I got alot more bass out of the factory subs.
I am looking at audiobahn amd60h to mount 4 in rear
http://audiobahn.com/index.php/produ...-range-drivers

Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I have the 558bt.
The 562 is the new model of the 558 but at a glance I did not see any difference between the two.
I changed the display color to natch the dash and it looks like it was made for the XFire. With adjustments I got alot more bass out of the factory subs.
I am looking at audiobahn amd60h to mount 4 in rear
Mid-Range Drivers
Nice work finding those.. how much??

Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

Those appear to be single voice coil subs. Don't we have dual voice coil 2 ohm, 6 3/4 inch subs that can't be found anywhere!!!!!!!
Have you calculated for that and the extra ohm? I hope so and these are a go. Just found them for $80 a pair.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 PM

They are far from going in the stock location.
And would need bigger and better amp anyway.
Have seen pics of amps mounted behind carpet beside tailight for plenty of room and consealed.
With our amp if you get the right channels bridge it to mono and would increase power for the single voicecoil sub. But I would reccomend a better amp. I have been a fan of audiobahn since the mid 90's.
And getting a frequency response at 30 hz on a 6.5" is impressive and would have good excursion for bass.
20-30hz needs ALOT of excursion but gives the feel of bass.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
They are far from going in the stock location.
And would need bigger and better amp anyway.
Have seen pics of amps mounted behind carpet beside tailight for plenty of room and consealed.
With our amp if you get the right channels bridge it to mono and would increase power for the single voicecoil sub. But I would reccomend a better amp. I have been a fan of audiobahn since the mid 90's.
And getting a frequency response at 30 hz on a 6.5" is impressive and would have good excursion for bass.
20-30hz needs ALOT of excursion but gives the feel of bass.
damn. This sucks. I need a decent alternative to the stock set up. Now maybe my sub is just feeling it's age and can be repaired. I have the capacitor upgrade that is suppose to just send base along to the subs( a crude explanation of frequency filtering) and sounded ok till the unit behind the driver seat quit on me.I may try just repairing the stock subs. What happens if we put a decent set of 2 way speakers in that location? Of course I don't expect the tweeters to do much. I'm getting frustrated at this point. I've enlisted the help of a local sound auto and they don't have an answer for the subs in that location. I'm not trying to spend more on my sound system then I did on my suspension. It's against my religion.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:51 PM

damn. This sucks. I need a decent alternative to the stock set up. Now maybe my sub is just feeling it's age and can be repaired. I have the capacitor upgrade that is suppose to just send base along to the subs( a crude explanation of frequency filtering) and sounded ok till the unit behind the driver seat quit on me.I may try just repairing the stock subs. What happens if we put a decent set of 2 way speakers in that location? Of course I don't expect the tweeters to do much. I'm getting frustrated at this point. I've enlisted the help of a local sound auto and they don't have an answer for the subs in that location. I'm not trying to spend more on my sound system then I did on my suspension. It's against my religion.
There is a thread about using single voice coil kickers in the factory location but they only wired to one channel, none attempted to bridge the channels, and the ohms makes a difference.
If you wanted a 2way speaker get components and mount the tweeter higher where it could be heard.
I do not want a box in the hatch, send I carry luggage every week.
On the German forum, there is a older thread of a guy that went into great detail on his custom setup that is very interesting.
Maybe someone could post a link to his thread for u.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, can the RCA jacks be used with the stock amp?

Old 11-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The stock amp requires 4v PtP, anything less and you will have mucho distortion and very low volume.
On all the 2v and 2.5v RCA head units, you have to splice in the speaker wires.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 11-24-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to see this unit in person before you buy it. The silver doesn't match. I was looking at these units in black at best buy yesterday because they look really good online, but in person not so much. Just a heads up...

Old 11-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Kenwood 558BT and the silver is an exact match to the stock surround.
Mick

Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oconnom
I have the Kenwood 558BT and the silver is an exact match to the stock surround.
Mick
Same here on the 558bt, looks like it was made for a XFire

Old 11-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular

How about this sub.... dual voice but 4 ohms. So correct me, I will get all the channels (sound) that is sent, but it will take twice as much power to make volume...

PyleŽ PLPW6D - 6.5" 600W Dual Voice Coil 4 Ohm Subwoofer

150 watts per channel = 75 watts per channel.... etc

Does this sound right? I mean, I went to the audio install experts and they seemed a puzzled as I am about the best way to get decent sound.

Two weeks and they are looking to me for answers on how to stay on budget.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Forum Regular

I have these subs on order. I will attempt an install I think, and then have the audio shop install the head unit and the crossover bridge for the stock amp after that.

Anyone know if I need to remove the capacitors if the fader on the new head unit is bridged and crossed over?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

OMG... I am so fed up with this project. Every time I talk to the guy at the audio store, he tells me that my ultimate goal has been becoming more impossible but it hasn't changed???

That's why I went to a shop, so that I wouldn't have to think, and learn so much about this project. It' really my goal to just enjoy my car, hear decent music quality, and stream BT from Pandora.

I found dual coil subs but they are 4 ohms.

I found a head unit, but im told the fader might not work with the stock amp because the stock head unit has no fader.

I found speakers (Infinity) that will replace the door speakers, but will they sound better?

Im ready to just buy a BT speaker and velcro it to the back wall of the xfire and call it a day. Just need to run power to it so it stays charged and I'll be done! I have a 25$ BT speaker from polaroid that sounds better then the xfire stock sound system!

SO if I could have 1 wish... I wish I knew which after market amp will power my new dual coil subs, the infinity speakers I may use to replace the door units, and support the new head unit and allow for fade and micro adjustments of the sound.

The guy at the sound place couldn't answer this question.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's all here in the forum with just a little time to find it..

print this out .. cross your fingers he can read.. and your done..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...amplifier.html

Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
It's all here in the forum with just a little time to find it..

print this out .. cross your fingers he can read.. and your done..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...amplifier.html
It looks like some of what I need is here. What I don't see is how to either add an amp to the stock system or replace the stock amp with one that can power all 6 speakers properly.

I think I can pay someone to install a new head unit, with harness, etc.

I feel like Im making this harder than I need to. I am trying not to pay an arm and a leg to some shop that really doesn't know what they are doing, to install a head unit. If I have to tell them, I may as well do it myself.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

Ordered my new head unit! Yea!

Quick Reply: Gorgeous Head Unit with fade Control