Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

bad crossfire radios

Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad crossfire radios

My car is standard convertible the sound from the radio leaves a lot to be desired. So would replacing the radio help? I prefer not to tear the doors apart so I am looking to add a speaker on the hooks between the 2 seats on the back panel I would have to run a wire from the radio to the speakers I would want to tap the left door speakers. What color wire goes to the left door and is there a better way to tap that wire. I assume all the radios wires are wrapped in a loop in the car, an ideas?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: bad crossfire radios

A new stereo will help a lot. Especially if you go with one with HD radio.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry44
My car is standard convertible the sound from the radio leaves a lot to be desired. So would replacing the radio help? I prefer not to tear the doors apart so I am looking to add a speaker on the hooks between the 2 seats on the back panel I would have to run a wire from the radio to the speakers I would want to tap the left door speakers. What color wire goes to the left door and is there a better way to tap that wire. I assume all the radios wires are wrapped in a loop in the car, an ideas?
gerry44
Before you start spending big bucks, try the "FIX" that is proven in the link below. It will cost you $2.00 and a little time.....
Dennis
DTMenace

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-buck-mod.html

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM

I just read the forum on "caps" maybe I am stupid but I can't figure out what they mean. However, I will start looking for a HD radio as you suggested.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just read the forum on "caps" maybe I am stupid but I can't figure out what they mean. However, I will start looking for a HD radio as you suggested.

They block the lower frequencies so your door speakers don't "muddy" so to say from it. Higher volumes it makes a nice difference.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM

yes, I went further into the post and found what I was looking for How to hook up the caps and where to buy them......................Great! Will do!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hummm, I've never had anyone tell me they got a considerable difference in sound quality between the OEM radio and a replacement. Add to that, the tight confines of a roadster doesn't lend itself to the acoustics of a coupe.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Caps" or capacitors can be found at radio shack or other electronics store. They do make a considerable difference, however, in an older car, the "subs" or sub woofers will receive a greater amount of frequency blocked by the "caps". This can lead to blown "subs" very quickly. (it did in my case) but I am in a 10 year old car. Do yourself a favor, If your serious about your sound system, ( I thought I wasn't until I got started working on it), go ahead and get a decent head unit..... One that doesn't cut off for no reason driving down the road..... Get something with Aux input, and/or BT. Marine Radio's tend to be the same color as our trim. Door speakers are of excellent quality, but the subs are like unicorns. If you want to keep it simple, find a core set of Subs and have them re-foamed.

The stock amp can be wired to make a decent head unit sound a lot better!

BTW. I have stock subs that need to be re foamed. PM me if you want to be pro-active and have a set sent for repair so when your subs give up, due to time and carrying the extra load from the "caps". I'll let them go for a fair price and ship them to the repair station of your choosing.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Can you show me where your information came from that indicates blocking the sub frequencies from the door speaker overloads the rear subs? After two plus years I must have super subs since they are working just fine.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM

I got the caps and will put them in (cheap fix) if it works man at radio shack said it should also. I will do this before I go out and buy a new radio Again mine is a coupe so there are no rear speakers just in the door which is where I will put the caps on the black wire like post 21 says. Now reading more of the posts, I want to make sure I got the right cap. The one I have is 220uF 35v it has 2 wires coming out of 1 end of the cap. Looking at post 21 it looks like it shows 100v 220uF cap. Will the one I have work?

Last edited by gerry44; 12-18-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 PM

I got the caps and will put them in (cheap fix) if it works man at radio shack said it should also. I will do this before I go out and buy a new radio Again mine is a coupe so there are no rear speakers just in the door which is where I will put the caps on the black wire like post 21 says.

"Base" models were the only ones without the subs.. Coupe's that are Limited or SRT6 have subs.. haven't looked for what you have.. but ALL 04 models are "Limited" models since base versions came out in 05 I believe it was. Move your seat forward and look behind them for the subs in the divider wall.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
"Base" models were the only ones without the subs.. Coupe's that are Limited or SRT6 have subs.. haven't looked for what you have.. but ALL 04 models are "Limited" models since base versions came out in 05 I believe it was. Move your seat forward and look behind them for the subs in the divider wall.
You have an '07 Roadster, so like MrM said, the subs are behind each seat in the bulkhead.
Crank the radio all the way up and put your hand on them.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Can you show me where your information came from that indicates blocking the sub frequencies from the door speaker overloads the rear subs? After two plus years I must have super subs since they are working just fine.
2 months after doing my caps, both stock subs have deteriorated. They are available as cores currently. Both need new foam and buzz obnoxiously when connected in the car.

Obviously they hit when the base is turned up and the caps filter the door speakers.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 AM

After reading all the great posts and talking to a tech I know I am going first put in a HD radio. I talked to Crutchfield and they made a recommendation not the most expensive then they would supply all the parts needed to put the radio in. Crutchfield also said there may be a speaker risk by using caps so HD first then I'll go from there. I do appreciate all the posts on this issue.